LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stem cells for broke people? :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stem cells for broke people? :(
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I just started reading the "This is How I Save My Life" book that Ellen posted about a few days ago. AWESOME book by the way.

Now I wish I could have stem cell treatment. Is there any program that helps with the costs?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO this is just another treatment reserved for the rich..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly lululymemom.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow you already got your book? I'm still waiting for mine. Should be arriving tomorrow. How is it so far?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Hi Ellen! Yeah I got mine today. I guess I must live closer to a shipping warehouse.

I love it. It's very inspirational.

My neuro/sensory symptoms completely suck, so I have to patch one eye while I read (my eyes don't work well as a team)...even so, I got through 88 pgs today.

I hope by the end of the book, I find out that stem cells aren't absolutely necessary for healing. Crossing my fingers [Wink]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lax mom
Member # 38743

Hey Ellen,

Did you get your book? What do you think of it?

I'm 1/2 way through and still want some stem cells [Smile]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The author posted on here awhile back when she got back. She is from my area, and I know several others who have gone as well. Mixed results, but overall positive.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is still an incredibly expensive treatment. People pay 20K per month for two months, usually, when they try it - that's India's cost.

We are having a basic stem cell research lecture later this month. If I learn of any cheaper way that folks are doing this, I'll post.

The lecture will be on getting stem cells from our cells, not embryonic ones that are being used in India.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax mom I got it a few days ago. Unfortunately I have only had time to read a few pages, but seems really good so far!
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

CD57: DO you know the author's lymenet name? I'd like to look up some of her posts.

Robin: let us know what you find out.

When I finish reading it, I'd be glad to pass it on to anyone else who wants to read it.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the book over the weekend as an E-Reader. I am ready to take my youngest to India. I figure I could just use my retirement money and never retire. Her MRI results were amazing. I have to get my 17 year old better. He needs his brain back. Life is so hard without it!

I googled more information and there is probably a cleaner location in Panama. I would die in the heat of India. I would prefer a room with no rats.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Embryonic stem cells? Well that raises all sorts of ethical issues..

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

lululymemom: There's also the autologous stem cell treatment that uses your own cells.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

lululymemom
Member # 26405

But the treatment used in India which is touting success is using embryonic cells.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

lax mom
Member # 38743

Yes, that's what the book is about.

I want autologous stem cell treatment from closer to the US.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Ellen101
Member # 35432

KTDOMMER I wanted to get it on my ereader but it said it wasn't available as of yet???
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Lets hope the autologous cells show the same promise.. [Smile]

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

lax mom
Member # 38743

Exactly lululymemom. I hope Robin brings back some good news from Robin's lecture.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get an jnjection of embronic stem cells every 2 weeks. It used to be every 4 weeks. The stem cells are from the umbilical cords of healthy newborn babies, which reduces the ethical issue. The cost is under $90 for each shot.

I now focus more on reducing the damage from Lyme disease and on anti aging. I am pleased with the results. The treatment is in South America where the cost of living is much less than in the US. It costs less to live here and get various therapies than it costs to just live in the US.

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

pigwit: I'm confused. Embryos are the unborn babies that are only a few weeks old newly formed in the womb. Healthy newborn babies aren't embryos. Are the injections called something else?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might have used the wrong word when I said embryonic. The doctor speaks Spanish and no English.

When I first saw him over 2 years ago my Spanish was not sufficient and a lady from the US helped interpret for me. She said embryonic stem cells. I believe the cells have differientiated some, but not to the extent of adult stem cells.

It is limited on how long they can store the stem cells. If they are not used within a time limit, they are disposed.

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lerae100
Member # 40566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lerae100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that there were a few, on this forum, who have received stem cell treatment, but it failed them. (I'm not referring to Amy S.).
I have been researching it vehemently over the past 6 months and spoke with some incredible doctors.
In telling a friend this, They mentioned several on Lyme net have gone with zero results.
If true, would you mind Pm'ng me? I would appreciate it so much.
I could share the information I have learned.
Blessings,
Barbara.
p.s. the fetal cells that Amy used in India were from a fetus that was miscarried. This may clear a few minds up and hearts. [Smile] (they are still using those cells)

Posts: 4 | From eugene, oregon | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish we could charter a plane and all get this tx in India! I did correspond with the doctor there a while ago and they seemed very professional and knowledgeable!

Have difficulty reading so wondering if there has been new studies on stem cells! @lax mom, sorry it's so hard on your eyes, do tell us in a nutshell (if you can) when you finish reading the book what the general thoughts are?? [Smile]

Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen101, can you make a thread & keep us up to date on your experience with stem cell?
Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Hey tailfeathers: I did finish the book. She got well.

I initially wanted to get stem cells myself.

However, I have come to accept that some treatments are not gonna happen. So, I'm just focusing on what I can afford.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She also says, though, that she believed the meds she took killed the bacteria -- she does not specify babesia, bartonella, just says Lyme......and that when she went to India she believed most of her bugs were dead.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lerae100
Member # 40566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lerae100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are others who have went into remission from chord blood as well. One friend did, one friend did not. Pretty sure Amy needed a booster as well.
Did anyone on here go and get stem cells and it failed them, per another member?
Autologous (our own cells) is on the rise and is considered actually better then fetal, chord. Let's hope the FDA approves it to be used in the USA. It was being used promisingly until this year, the Pharmaceutical companies informed the FDA that the same recquirements for them was not being mandated for the use of stem cells. So, they banned it until more studies were performed. So, our own stem cells are considered "drugs".
It seems insane, but that is our health care system.

Posts: 4 | From eugene, oregon | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

I couldn't remember that CD57. Good point.

I do remember she was on Babesia meds in the hospital.

If autologous stem cells were ever approved in the US, I would want them. (If I'm not 100yrs old when it's ever approved).

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how many places are known here that do this?

How is it done?

I have the cords of all 3 triplets in freeze ,just for this type of issue.

Thinking if one of them needed help.
Maybe they would share a bit with Nonna,

Is this why the Ben's &david's get to kinda joke/laugh off the extreme nature of our illness?

What kinda costs at other places and compared to the spa Yolanda Foster went to?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailfeathers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tailfeathers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx for that update lax mom.. sigh - yes, nice to dream but need to focus on what is available to us here and now...glad to know she got better though!
Posts: 394 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep the cord blood Nonna.

They might be able to use it in the future to help cure your little triplet granddaughter that has diabetes. This is the type of stuff being researched right now all over the world.

lerae100, will you come back and share what information you find out about how many people have been treated with stem cells and cured vs those not cured? You've reminded me about this treatment and now very I'm interested to hear about some outcomes. Thanks!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pigwit how do the stem cells make you feel?
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

quote:
Originally posted by Lymedin2010:
Ellen101, can you make a thread & keep us up to date on your experience with stem cell?

I don't have any experience with stem cell, sorry for the confusion. This post is in regards to a book I posted about in which the author had stem cell treatment.
CD57
Member # 11749

I know someone who did the autologous stem cells, and it set off cascades of inflammation that put her in bed for a year. She is just now recovering. I don't get it, that means her body saw her own cells as invaders. ???
lax mom
Member # 38743

CD57: I bet that would be me too. My body freaks out when it senses anything the slightest bit foreign.

I think they do something to the cells before putting them back into the body. I just don't know what.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard from someone who did the autologous stem cell injections and didn't get anything from it except $9000 poorer...this person is vehemently against the idea at this point.

We did hear the stem cell researcher speak - it's basic research, like figuring out how stem cells signal to each other.

I understand that Amy and others who went early on to India did better than people who have gone more recently. The question is, are the India stem cells not doing so well anymore?

I believe Scott Forsgren may be up on the latest re that info. Anyone can contact him at www.betterhealthguy.com and ask.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:

I understand that Amy and others who went early on to India did better than people who have gone more recently. The question is, are the India stem cells not doing so well anymore?

She stated in the book that the India stem cells came from the same miscarried embryo. Maybe that's possibly why it's no longer as effective?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott went to Panama for a week for them. He has info about it on his website. He said he wanted to go to India, but didn't have that kind of time. It's my impression that a weeks worth doesn't do much. They were a different kind too.

In India you would do them for 2 months. 30k.

I just had shoulder surgery and the bill was 35k. I was there for a total of 5 hours. I have insurance, but a massive deductible. The way I see it as far as the cost of it (stem cells in India) it's a bargain.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement