LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flu shot for those with Lyme or those just over it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flu shot for those with Lyme or those just over it?
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, apparently I've been in remission for a while here. One symptom that I think I'm just stuck with. However, I do not feel comfortable getting a flu shot. I've heard its filled with bad stuff. My children & husband had theirs my doc said he agrees he's on the fence with me & said to for go it. Now I'm a worried wreck that I'll get the flu and get real sick. And more worried to get the shot and have a bad affect on my already lowered immune system after all its been through and get even more sick. I'm hand washing like mad, avoiding crowds, using Lysol and Purcell like mad. And washing stuff in the house and forcing family to clean their hands . I'm sorry I sound like a germ a fobic. Any takers here??
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do every year and I have really bad asthma. I would hate to get sick without some sort of protection. Remember, it is a dose of dead influenza,not an antibiotic type thing, so your body builds defenses and the germ isn't alive to start infecting you. You can ask your health care provider for thimerasol(sp?) free doses. Just remember to ask. I had a shot in early December and have not had an uptick of lyme symptoms.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just talked to a family member who has a degree in virology. He can't think of any reason why not to get one. I read some thing about Lyme, or post Lyme patients not being able to sero convert.. Over my head stuff. I think I'm just going to get darn shot. Thanks otter. Anyone else?
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chose not to get one this yr and now I'm regretting it. I just had what I think was the flu and I'm having a horrible case of bronchitis which has significantly aggravated my asthma. If things don't improve I may be forced to go on prednisone.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

yeah.. I'm thinking I'm just going to do it. I've had it when swine was bad and had it when pregnant and I was fine. Infact I had Lyme when I got the H1N1 shot & my arm was just sore for a day or two. I hate that bronchitis. Had it once last year in august and took a zpack and it went way. So.. I must be able to fight stuff off. My cd57 is 215 and all blood counts good.. Wow I sound like a freak. Lol.. Hehe. Thank you Ellen.
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just my personal opinion, theory and pure speculation.

I think vaccines weaken the immune system by disrupting the body's homeostasis, thus allowing people to get sick from whatever they have already previously been exposed to (colds, flu, etc) before the shot.

Once someone gets a shot, the immune system is forced to drop what its doing, and focus on the vaccine, so its safety net may be spread too thin which ultimately allows something to slip in and gain a foothold.

I have never gotten a flu shot. Neither has my 90 year old mom, or my in-laws (70s). Yet, everyone else I know who got a flu shot, got sick.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD said not to get one. I will ask why on my visit in three days.
Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLNP actually said to get it. She was concerned how I'll I could become from the flu while fighting Lyme and a history of asthma. I chose not to take her advice but should have.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since i'm in the middle of the flue and a severe case of bronchitis, and cross my fingers, not pneumonia. i may be changing my mind about that flue shot.

i think i might get one next year. too late now.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me no vaccines, so I have not gotten a flu shot for the last 4 years.

I find that I do not get sick if I follow certain things like never touching my eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands, washing hands often, always washing hands before eating and after touching restaurant menus, S & P shakers, kethcup bottles, etc.

It helps to take lots of Vit D too.

Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract(Original Formula) has been proven to fight the flu because it has antiviral properties, if anyone is unlucky enough to get the flu.

There are a number of studies about it on Pubmed.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD does not like them and I agree.

There r many things u can do to protect yourself as people have mentioned above. Also Homeopathic's

Man of my friends have been vaccinated and still got the flu.

Do a google search for negatives of flu shots etc.

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I have had Lyme for 20 years or more. But I believe the flu shot i got 4 years ago triggered the fever, glands and then the exhaustion that never left me. And that lead to a Lyme dx. I was sick for 6 weeks after that shot. And exhausted for much lomnger. Your already freaked out immune system has to fight something that is not there. I have not gotten a flu shot since... And I have felt horrible but not from the flu.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says I should not take the flu shot due to a compromised immune system.

I just ordered some homeopathics to prevent flu and is specific to the flu strains for 2012-13 season at www.elixirs.com or http://tinyurl.com/dxhmtyy

I purchased the Flu Health Kit, it says: "to get you a jump start for the flu season. Flu Health Kit provides you with 3 important remedies: Upper Respiratory Balance, Thymuline and Influenzinum blend/Winter Tonic. Becoming our most overall favorite kit for a wide range of malaise."

You can call and talk to someone and find out which kit might be best for you.

I am not connected to this website in any way, just liked to customer service and the product.
Natural support for the immune system.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister who has undiagnosed Lyme got one, had a bad reaction and was rushed via ambulance to the hospital from the doctors office. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I like catgirls assesment and agree with her theory.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Glm.. Wow! See now that is soooo not cool. I assume rare though. My daughter came home sneezing Friday. Now slight cough, no fever runny nose.. Be a basket case of worry. Her symptoms match a cold. I'm on the fence again now & I think I'm getting her cold anyway. Thank you all for sharing. Wishing wellness for all.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catgirl:
[QB] This is just my personal opinion, theory and pure speculation.

I think vaccines weaken the immune system by disrupting the body's homeostasis, thus allowing people to get sick from whatever they have already previously been exposed to (colds, flu, etc) before the shot.

Once someone gets a shot, the immune system is forced to drop what its doing, and focus on the vaccine, so its safety net may be spread too thin which ultimately allows something to slip in and gain a foothold.

I have never gotten a flu shot. Neither has my 90 year old mom, or my in-laws (70s). Yet, everyone else I know who got a flu shot, got sick.

-
AGREE with that.

I'm protecting myself with Thieves oil.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

I agree with catgirl too.
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I will NEVER get another flu shot. Ever. My life was wrecked terribly as a result - a full year bed-bound severely after my last one back in '93.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122268;p=0

Tammy just posted an excellent homeopathic link - for this year's strain.

other detail here, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"using using Lysol and Purcell like mad"

ohhh. Please be very careful with all that. IMO, both can be terrible, especially anything that is sprayed.

Not necessary, either. There are much safer ways. Just don't touch surfaces and then touch your face or ears.

A citrus based cleaner from BioKleen or 7th Generation is just fine for surfaces.

Hand sanitizer can be absorbed and can strain liver and kidneys. Just wash with a real citrus based soap and keep hands from face.

Thin cotton gloves (from a pharmacy or cosmetic store) can be used when you might be out shopping, etc. and want to keep a protective layer.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said NO to the flu shot.

I had one 6 years ago and relapsed.

I had one several years when I first got Lyme (undiagnosed, though) and I was fine.

I think it depends on how long you've had this disease and how it has affected your immune system.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love my kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love my kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our LLMD says NO flu shot and NO vaccines for the kids who also have Lyme (congenital).

--------------------
Healing thoughts to you,

L.

Posts: 101 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Just read in Forbes that apparently flu B is what could cause things to get worse. The strain they discovered in this year is not covered in this years shot. That's not good. Did say though both common antivirals on the market are a good match to the strain meaning they are not resistant. So.. I guess Lyme or post Lyme patients can take an antiviral right?
smiles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lost,
I know the debate. All I can share is my personal experience.

I work in healthcare always received flu shot prior to dx of lyme.

Often I would get the sniffles after getting the shot and a little sore arm.

Was dx with lyme in 2004 and had the same questions you are asking.

However after long discussions with doctor, and others with lyme, decided to take it. I was fine, ironically no sniffles that year.

I have been getting the flu shot ever since (including this year).

Again, people's reactions to flu shots can vary immensely (as you see posted here)... So all I can do is share my experience with it.

However, the flu shot, in general, is comprised of what the epidemiologists 'believe' to be the strains of flu that are hitting this year. So theoretically the shot protects you from those particular strains....

Oh well - hopefully I haven't added more confusion to your decision.

Blessings.

Posts: 160 | From MD, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patty7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patty7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really struggled about getting the shot. Haven't gotten it for several years. I already started oil of oregano and bought some other herbals to have on hand. Already taking cat's claw and AG Immune along with other vitamins. Some family members urged me to get the shot, if not for myself for my grandchildren and elderly mother I look after. Called LLMD office and was told they are recommended it. SO I gave in and got the shot today. Hoping for the best and that I am not sorry I did.
Posts: 194 | From Pa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the shots they're giving had the influenza strain- or a weakened version of the strain- that's hitting everyone this winter...like a truck, there'd be a lot less folk down w/ the Flu this year. That's what I think.

My buddy, who HAD a flu shot last October, came down with all the symtoms last Staurday that make it appear he'll be down for the week.

I feel most who are in Lyme "remission" are best to simply avoid all flu serums, use the oils & herbs that LLNDs & herbalists recommend,
& keep any potential contact with the viral bug (on door knobs, gas pump handles, even pens in the office) down to a bare minimum, & of course, wash hands thoroughly several times a day if out in public.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with all the reasons above to not get flu shot if you are dealing with lyme

my llmd told me that many years ago and i have not gotten one

i got the flu once about3 or 4 yrs ago-i know i wrote about it on here---i had it a cople weeks...and used herbs and supps to slow it down

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The flu you can treat, mostly.

How to treat the damage of a vaccination, in case it happens?

Never ever, I will get a vaccine for flu.

If we were not in a messy environment, toxic foods, water, air, clothes, body products, we wouldn't be so sick with borrelia, no matter what people say.

Borrelia was found INSIDE the 5,000 year old icy man, preserved in ice. It has been with humans since human beings appeared.

There are reasons why NOW we fall sick to chronic infections, chronic fungi, chronic bronchitis, chronic herpes, brain viruses and pathogens linked to Alzheimer, etc etc.

The reason is not the pathogen,as we evolved with pathogens, including borrelia.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut/heart has told me for years, do not get a flu shot. Your(my) immune system cannot handle it.

Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut. But I'm confident that my rife machine can handle any ole flu bug handed to me.

I trust my gut.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
too late for me tho.

i'm now fighting acute bronchitis. coughing up crud and choking.

this ain't no fun. this is my second week.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,

Have you tried elderberry?

After suggestions here, I just read some great reviews about it on iherb and Amazon.

Just ordered some so haven't tried it myself yet.

Hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

nope i havent. i've been housebound for the whole time tho.

doctor said because i was coughing so much i was still contagious even tho i don't have a fever.

it's the wheezing, rattling that gets me. it's so bad i cna't sleep at night and then the whole cycle starts again.

--------------------

birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that sounds miserable. I'm sorry [Frown]

I ordered mine from iherb and is expected to be here in 2-3 days. You may want to try that so you wouldn't have to go out.

Not sure it would work for the wheezing. I will look through the reviews and see if I see that mentioned.

Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatherene56
Member # 39857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heatherene56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get flu vaccines. Mostly it is because I spent a lot of time & money trying to get heavy metals out of my system and I don't want to add any.

I know someone who was lied to about the themerisol. i don't trust that they are safe. I got the cold that is going around, but it is the first one in 3 years I have caught.

When I get a virus i drink golden seal tea all day, about a quart. Usually the virus is totally gone the next day. goldenseal is a powerful herb and I am very careful with it. I only use is when I am getting a bad viral infection.

Caution: never use goldenseal more than 5 days in a row. Also, it is very bitter. I would rather do that than risk a flu shot.

--------------------
Lymer since 89
Namaste

Posts: 52 | From Fort Worth Texas | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good point about limitations of some herbs, especially when used alone.

Goldenseal, in combination with certain other balancing herbs, can be used on-going. Best to consult a LL ND (naturopathic doctor) for details.

Most herbs are best in combination designed for the individual, anyway. And rotation is a very useful technique, too.

But, what works for someone one day may not be what is needed even a couple weeks later. This is where having a LL ND on board is well worth it.
-

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my LLMD and was told that your immune system will focus on whatever is in the flu shot to fight against, leaving whatever you're infected with already to basically have a field day and go nuts because your immune system isn't focused on it.

This sounds very bad for someone with lyme or some coinfections that aren't active but still there.

By the way, the person I live with got a flu shot and has had the worst flu ever for 2 weeks. This person has a fantastic immune system by the way.

However, I did not get a shot and have been without the flu (never caught it from the person I live with and we are in close proximity).

Getting a flu shot IS NOT full proof against the flu.

I know someone else who is healthy who got the flu shot one year (gave in to peer pressure). She got the flu 3 times that year and then decided never again for flu shots.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, maybe it's time for you to consider the rife approach. It would have helped greatly with this bug you and hubby had.

Also you seem to be one of those people that abx and other super meds effects badly. Not saying rife is a cake walk, but for many that can't handle meds it's a lifesaver.

I would wager it would help to heal that sick gut of your.

Might want to do something thinking on this.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wanted to pop in and say that there is a code for $5.00 off your first order from www.iherb.com if you want to order from them.

I think the purchase has to be at least $10.00

TAW742

I tried to order from them but can't log in to purchase, not even with a new password and no one has bothered to answer my email and help....I took my business to www.vitacost.com I"ve ordered from them before with no problems.

Re: goldenseal tea...is it a tea already made or do you have to make it yourself?

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Randi bear.. Hugs.. Feel better. <3
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a flu shot 2 years ago - and had a very bad reaction to it.

I couldn't stop coughing for 6 full hours - and felt like I couldn't breathe.

I almost told my husband to take me to the ER.

When I told my doctor what happened, she told me it sounded like an allergic reaction - and that I should avoid flu shots in the future.

ArtnSoul

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I not get sick? I mean, I AM sick, but I don't get colds or flu.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeboy, I think it's common for some people with lyme. BB has 12 extra strands of dna. Maybe their dna fights it off. Or maybe the T cells are on high alert (like the eye in Lord of the rings) and attack new invaders.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephenC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StephenC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man read the inserts before you take those things. I've never had a flu shot and never will. I asked my physician about this post Lyme disease and she said my immune system likely wouldn't respond well to it.

--------------------
Lingering chronic symptoms: Fatigue, Derealization, Brain fog. Monthly fever with flu-like symptoms that last for weeks.
Lyme WB Bands Positive: 31, 41, 58, 66
HHV6, EBV, CMV, & Mycoplasma IGG positive.
Chronically Low CD4 count.

Posts: 106 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't find out about elderberry extract until after I had already had influenza.
I laid in a supply of it, as I was terrified that I might get the flu again.

After a couple years, the elderberry syrup was still in the cupboard, as I didn't get sick.
I started coming down with a cold, and decided to take elderberry.

Elderberry is antiviral, so it should work against colds, which are corona virus, and bronchitis, which is usually viral.

Wow, it worked great.
I took double doses for a day, and I was better the next day.
I have never recovered from a cold that quickly before.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Before taking the flu shot, read the inserts, like you would do with any medicines.

-------
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

5.1 Fever and Febrile Seizures

Administration of CSL's 2010 Southern Hemisphere influenza vaccine was associated with postmarketing reports of increased rates

of fever and febrile seizures in children predominantly below the age of 5 years as compared to previous years;

these increased rates
were confirmed by postmarketing studies. Febrile events were also observed in children 5 to less than 9 years of age.

5.2 Guillain-Barr� Syndrome
Guillain-Barr� Syndrome (GBS) has occurred following vaccination with AFLURIA.

If GBS has occurred within 6 weeks of previous
influenza vaccination, the decision to give AFLURIA should be based on careful consideration of the potential benefits and risks.

5.3 Preventing and Managing Allergic Reactions
Appropriate medical treatment and supervision must be available to manage possible anaphylactic reactions following administration
of the vaccine.

5.4 Altered Immunocompetence
If AFLURIA is administered to immunocompromised persons, including those receiving immunosuppressive therapy, the immune
response may be diminished.

5.5 Limitations of Vaccine Effectiveness
Vaccination with AFLURIA may not protect all individuals.

6 ADVERSE REACTIONS
In children 5 through 17 years of age, the most common injection-site reactions observed in clinical studies with AFLURIA were pain
(�60%), redness (�20%) and swelling (�10%).

The most common systemic adverse events were headache, myalgia (�20%), malaise
and fever (�10%).

In adults 18 through 64 years of age, the most common injection-site adverse reactions observed in clinical studies with AFLURIA
were tenderness (�60%) and pain (�40%).

The most common systemic adverse events observed were headache, malaise, and muscle
aches (�20%).

In adults 65 years of age and older, the most common injection-site adverse reactions observed in clinical studies with AFLURIA
were tenderness (�30%) and pain (�10%).

--------------
In page 3 and 4, there is a table with all reactions you can get, by age group.

If I had read these VACCINATION INSERTS, I would never have given it to my child.

The trick is that doctors never offer you to read the inserts before vaccination.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Page 6 on:

Immune system disorders

Allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock and serum sickness

Nervous system disorders
Neuralgia, paresthesia, convulsions (including febrile seizures), encephalopathy, neuritis or neuropathy, transverse myelitis, and GBS

Vascular disorders
Vasculitis with transient renal involvement
Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders
Pruritus, urticaria, and rash

6.3 Adverse Reactions Associated With Influenza Vaccination

Anaphylaxis has
been reported after administration of AFLURIA.

Egg protein can induce immediate hypersensitivity reactions
among persons who have severe egg allergy.

Allergic reactions include hives, angioedema, asthma, and systemic anaphylaxis (see
Contraindications [4]).

The 1976 swine influenza vaccine was associated with an increased frequency of GBS.

Evidence for a causal relation of GBS with
subsequent vaccines prepared from other influenza viruses is unclear.

If influenza vaccine does pose a risk, it is probably slightly more
than one additional case per 1 million persons vaccinated.

Neurological disorders temporally associated with influenza vaccination, such as encephalopathy, optic neuritis/neuropathy, partial
facial paralysis, and brachial plexus neuropathy, have been reported.

Microscopic polyangiitis (vasculitis) has been reported temporally associated with influenza vaccination.

8.1 Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category B: A reproductive and developmental toxicity study has been performed in female rats at a dose approximately
265 times the human dose (on a mg/kg basis) and revealed no evidence of impaired female fertility or harm to the fetus due to
AFLURIA.

There are, however, no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are
not always predictive of human response, AFLURIA should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

----
8.4 Pediatric Use

AFLURIA is not approved for use in children less than 5 years of age.

In a clinical study in which children received AFLURIA or
a US-licensed comparator vaccine (Study 1, see Clinical Trials Experience, [6.1]), the incidence of fever in children 6 months to
less than 3 years of age following the first and second doses of AFLURIA were 37% and 15%, respectively, as compared to 14%
following each dose in the comparator group.

Among children 3 years to less than 5 years of age, the incidence of fever following
the first and second doses of AFLURIA were 32% and 14%, respectively, as compared to 11% and 16% in the comparator.

In an
open-label study (Study 2), fever, irritability, loss of appetite, and vomiting/diarrhea occurred more frequently in children 6 months
to less than 3 years of age as compared to older children.

Across three pediatric studies of AFLURIA (Studies 1, 2, and 3), 1.2% of
eligible children (n=1,764) were discontinued from the second vaccination because of severe fever (�104�F) within 48 hours of the
first vaccination.

Across the three pediatric studies, two children, a 7-month old and a 3-year old, experienced vaccine-related febrile
seizures (rate of 0.07% across studies), one of which was serious.

Administration of CSL's 2010 Southern Hemisphere influenza vaccine was associated with increased rates of fever and febrile
seizures, predominantly in children below the age of 5 years as compared to previous years, in postmarketing reports confirmed by
postmarketing studies (see Warnings and Precautions [5.1]).
-----------

I don't know, but would you really THINK about taking these vaccines for flu prevention?

There are hundreds of pages produced by the VACCINE MANUFACTURERS.... Just check on your own!

If I have to choose between the risk of having Guillain-Barr� Syndrome or the flu, I take the flu with open arms.

At least, you can take plants, do rife, do homeopathic nosodes, vit D3, Vit C, etc against the flu.

What can we do agains GBS??

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement