LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » curcumin and other anti-inflammatories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: curcumin and other anti-inflammatories
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my pain has become uncontrollable lately

i know from the past i respond to anti-inflammatories-high does ibu or torodol is best-but im getting worried about gi and kidneys etc so i have been trying to replace ibu with herbs/supps

i also used to need neurontin occassionally for specific nerve pain...but i have given int and take it everyday now. only 300mg and at a special time because i cant drive with it

i cut the ibu from 3200mg a day to 1200 a day by adding 6000 fish oil

i still need more help

i figured out curcumin doesnt hurt my gi and i am so happy

the bottle says 1-3 625mg pills a day

im wondering how much you take and what would the highest dose that is ok be? thanks

[ 01-19-2013, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The max dose on the bottle is a safe amount. I have used twice that amount for a few months without a problem, but I do not know at what point is too much.

Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant and antiinflammatory supplement. It may be a good addition to the mix.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanyou---so curcumin does reduce your pain?

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatherene56
Member # 39857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heatherene56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to share that changing my diet greatly reduced my pain. 85% at least. I stopped eating all night shade vegetables: potatoes, tomatoes, all red and green peppers and eggplant. These foods were extremely inflammatory for me. I also don't eat any peanut products for the same reason.

You might pay attention to what you eat and how you feel. Hope this helps you feel better.

Wishing you well
Heather

--------------------
Lymer since 89
Namaste

Posts: 52 | From Fort Worth Texas | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have Lyme, but inflammation from Crohn's disease. If I stop taking the various antiinflammatory supplements I can feel a lot of age related aches and pains.

Curcumin, Ginger, and Krill oil were staple supplements for my wife while I treated her Lyme Disease. I believe they made the pain more manageable and also helped improve treatment results.

Inflammatory foods do affect people in a negative way. Tomatoes really affect me negatively and I do not have Lyme.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 500 mg twice a day along with 10 grams of msm twice a day. If I miss those two supplements, it gets ugly.

My integrative doctor said I could even go up on the msm as it is very safe, if I needed more.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you

i stopped nightshades a long time ago for a long time and didnt notice a difference

i also didnt notice a difference with msm

but-fish oil and ibu and torodol or ketoralac after surgey changes my life...i almost like surgery cuz i get those few pain free days after ffrom the meds

im really glad nothing bad is happening from the curcuman-i was afraid of it for somme reason...i will build it up

i wish i felt a difference with the msm and nightshades ---but i dont. and it is so clear to me when something helps...i go from being able to walk without help to hanging on to furniture to get to my wheelchair...such a difference.

i did eat quinoa for the first time and was kinda disappointed...ive been all excited about using it to replace my oatmeal but i think maybe i didnt cook it enough---it was really hard...i'll try again.

in the next few days i am going off gluten, dairy, peanuts, sugar, -and 3 more things...cant remember . its late. off them for 3 weeks-then add them back one at a time to see if i have a reaction.

thanks for your help

--------------------

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I ask if you are going after parasites Ip? They can cause excruciating pain when left untreated. Just thought I'd ask. P. S. Coconut oil can help a lot with pain and is antifungal of course. Hope you get relief soon.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

not yet on the parasites. really feel like i need the house in better shape...im getting there

the pain really is the one that i think i got from lipitor and it got much worse a month ago when a PT gave me a cortisone treatment

it does respond to ibu...but i worry about gi and want to find subs for that

i have done huma worm a few times and another one you suggest and there are some things i do that make me see them more...so many things to deal with

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot do without it....

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=NOW+curcumin&x=41&y=10

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quinoa recipe:

1 1/2 cup water
1 cup Q
Bring to a boil, add salt .. simmer for 12 min

I saute 1/2 chopped onion and 2 chopped carrots in ghee and add to the quinoa.

[ 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thx-i have the same curcumen as you tutu

--------------------

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To see benefit from MSM requires high doses.

My DH was taking as much as 8,000mg/day before he saw enough improvement in his joint pain to enable him to exercise again (he does not have Lyme, at least, we don't think he does, LOL!).

I've been experimenting with essential oils and have found Copaiba oil applied to my hot, swollen painful hip works magic. The severe pain disappears instantly.

I did not expect the oil to work so well, but have been amazed. And the effects are lasting.

I also use Nettle Leaf powder - if I forget my dose of nettles, my hands become so stiff and painful I cannot use them for anything.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle, thanks for posting copaiba oil for swollen hip pain. I wake up every morning at 3:00 -4:00 a.m. with pain in the hip? I also have cramping in the buttock muscle. I am going to try it.
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hope you are getting it as cheaply, kayak! [Wink]

-
Copaiba oil .. Where exactly do you apply it? I think I'm having hip pain ... not sure where to put the oil!! I will order that one next. I have peppermint and lavender.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

yeah tutu-you told me where to get it

--------------------

heatherene56
Member # 39857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heatherene56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle, and anyone interested,

I drink Oat straw infusion. It is a really great anti-inflammatory and doesn't taste too bad. I use 1/4 cup of Oat straw to 1 quart of water. I boil the water and pour it over the oat straw in a 1 quart mason jar. Seal it up and let it sit for 4 hours or overnight. Then strain off the herb and drink it. You can add 1 tbs of peppermint leaf for flavor. It has helped me a lot.

I also use lavender oil. I sprinkle it in my sheets about an hour before bed. Just a few drops. It is a natural pain reliever and a relaxant. Helps me sleep well.

--------------------
Lymer since 89
Namaste

Posts: 52 | From Fort Worth Texas | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatherene56
Member # 39857

Peanut products cause bad inflammation for me. I totally stay away from them. I think it is good to eliminate possible inflammatory foods and then re-introduce them one at a time to see how they effect your body. I did that and that's how I found out what foods hurt me.

--------------------
Lymer since 89
Namaste

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by heatherene56:
Peanut products cause bad inflammation for me. I totally stay away from them.

-
Amen for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak.. here's a great deal on cashew butter. It's really tasty!

http://www.vitacost.com/maranatha-natural-cashew-butter-creamy-and-roasted-16-oz-each-pack-of-2-1

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

thx tutu-i would love that. i think im gonna start buying more food thru the net. our healthfood stores are ridiculous with the prices.

i cant afford almond butter at all anymore and it is my favorite

--------------------

baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D Bergy, Thank You for mentioning Astaxanthin. After researching the product, it sounds amazing! What strength do you take daily and what brand?
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
thx tutu-i would love that. i think im gonna start buying more food thru the net. our healthfood stores are ridiculous with the prices.

i cant afford almond butter at all anymore and it is my favorite [/qb]

-
I buy most of my stuff at Vitacost or Swanson's Vitamins. I love the NOW brand and Swanson's has most everything I need.

[ 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

D Bergy
Member # 9984

I use Doctors Best Astaxanthin from Swansons.

It has 6 mg of Astaxanthin and 1 mg of Canthaxanthin.

I take one capsule twice a day as the directions state.

Dan

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get bulk turmeric at the healthfood store and dip capsules in it. I take them throughout the day and notice joint swelling relief within the hour.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dan....
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Robin.. How much do you think it costs you per month? Do you have any idea of how many mg that is per capsule?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read reviews of serrapeptase at iherb and at amazon. It is an enzyme that literally EATS inflammation and helps many with pain. Very impressive reviews at iherb and amazon on MSM and serra peptase .

I have better knees and sinuses with serra peptase and I just started it . It also has helped people with clogged arteries , which is profound , and adhesions and scar tissue.

It has been used by some for biofilms, and I definitely herx some with it ! However , no cure for lyme yet! I read many reviews of people who felt far better with pain after using it .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ann.. it is indeed very good stuff. I am unable to take systemic enzymes because they tear up my stomach. I NEED them though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lymetoo:
[QB] Robin.. How much do you think it costs you per month? Do you have any idea of how many mg that is per capsule?

I haven't really paid attention to cost, since it's not that expensive for a bunch of bulk turmeric in a bag, nor are the capsules. I'd say on the scale of what we can be dealing with here, it's the el cheapo way to go...

As far as amount, no idea - I take whatever amount makes a difference in alleviating my joint swelling symptoms, which is one average capsule dipped in turmeric. Not very helpful, I know, but it's like cooking - season according to taste...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement