LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Did Ivig improve your neuro symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Ivig improve your neuro symptoms?
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As already mentioned in another thread i suffer from terrible constant nerve pain.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/122143?#000010

Today I read that at a Lyme conference in Phoenix Burrascano praised Ivig therapy to repair lyme nerve damage:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/pdf/2013/2013_1.pdf

Anyone with nerve pain/damage tried Ivig?

Read about some who had to take it for a very long time to feel benefits. And some who even did worse on it. So how was Ivig for you?

Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it for the last year - I could not see any improvement for my neuropathy (painful hands & feet) nor for my head tremor, fatigue or twitching.

I stopped because my doctor had to stop practicing and I can not find another doctor to prescribe it. I think it is a good thing now, since I will find out (the hard way) if it was really helping or not, if I find myself declining. My former doctor said that it was primarily to prevent further damage.

At least my finances will have a chance to recover.

racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has been receiving IVIG for 1 1/2 years now. Our LL Immunologist says people who have been ill for a long time with Lyme and co-infections take longer to see improvement. My son has been ill for 13 years now.

There have been some improvements, but my son still has chronic pain in his chest, sides, back, and arms (hurts more to be touched), as well as irregular sleep patterns and short-term memory problems.

Even though we have tried many different things over the years, we have not addressed treating parasites yet, but are seriously considering it.
See 'glm1111' posts about this subject who is very knowledgeable and has started a new post, "Parasite Warriors Support Thread" to help.

As we say, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it actually help to kill these bugs themselves? That is what I would like to know.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hopingandpraying - I would strongly urge you to see someone who does kinesiology. The muscle testing and EDS testing have been more helpful than anything in healing our family. The parasites are a huge part of lyme/coinfections. My kids all herxed like crazy with parasite treatment and then had improvement. It really affects the nervous system and brain. When my kids decline, it is often due to parasites.

sickmate - have you done any parasite treatment? My nervous system was really affected when our well water became contaminated with water-born parasites.

Best,
tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57 -IVIG is not a Lyme treatment, per se. It is an immune-system booster.

My son developed an auto-immune condition because of Lyme and co-infections as well as having other problems which warranted treatment with IVIG. This was determined by a LL Immunologist who was referred to us by our LLMD.

tick battler - Thanks for the suggestion. I think we did muscle testing and EDS in the past. I am still in the process of researching parasite treatment.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 years of IVIG tx after my head, chest and pelvis went completely numb. Previously, I had very bad nerve pain. I also had 4yrs of abx incl 6 mos of IV Rocephin.

The IVIG may have helped slightly but it didn't go after the parasites I later realized I was LOADED with. Everything pictured on www.lymephotos.com came out of me after I added salt/c to herbal antiparasitics.

Mindboggling!! I would highly suggest to everyone on this board to treat for parasites.

I really think it's the missing link for those that are still chronically ill after long term abx tx. Google parasite symptoms and check out the current Parasite Warriors thread.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm into my third year of IVIG. I couldn't feel my feet and had no reflex on the right and minimal on the left.

I can now feel my feet. Not completely back to normal yet but much much better. I also had an all over body numbness.

Felt like I had an inch or so of something insulating my skin. I could feel the pressure of a touch but not the feel of it.

It does take a long time. I finally recently reached low normal on my total IgG and 3 out of 4 of the subclasses.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Pocono. Did you treat Lyme and co's while doing this?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57,

I had heavy duty treatment for lyme and co's before and during.

My first LLMD found my low IgGs in 2005.
I was checked frequently but they never came up despite heavy treatment.

My second LLMD offered IVIG but I declined at that time as I couldn't handle one more thing.

My third LLMD (ID Doc)in 2010 saw my numbers and my condition and sent me out with orders for a PICC line, IVIG, IV Doxy and orals.

--------------------

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Wow. did you treat for babs and bart etc? did you respond to tx once you started the IVIG, but not before?
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

All of it plus heavy metal chelation.

I did get some improvement with the initial lyme and co treatment. Mostly from babs treatment.

I went from bed bound to chair bound 90% of the time after 2 1/2+ years with the first LLMD.

The second LLMD brought me further but still no quality of life and very symptomatic.

Once I started the IVIG, it knocked me for days.
That got less and less. Then I could tell when I was due for another infusion. I'd be really listless.

It did make a difference for me as far as responding to treatment.

Now treating adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism ("normal" labs).

--------------------

CD57
Member # 11749

Hmm, how interesting. What did you do for babs do you remember?

I'm so glad it's made a difference in responding to treatment. How did that manifest?

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

My first round for babs was the typical Mepron/Zith which took care of the teeth chattering chills despite being near the wood stove and 80+ degrees. Actually did skin damage due to being too close and not feeling.

The dose of Mepron had to be doubled after a few weeks as the chills started again.

Mepron was followed by Malarone.
Over the years, I did pretty much all other meds..
Alinia, Quinine, Coartem, Clindamycin, Larium.

How I was able to tell that the IVIG made a difference was that I had done so much bart and lyme treatment prior yet some symptoms wouldn't budge.

I did some of the same treatment (actually lower dose of one of the meds) with/after IVIG and symptoms improved. One big one was balance. My PCP couldn't believe it.

My prior visit, I would obviously fall if not assisted. The next time I saw him, I walked unassisted and he felt comfortable enough to have me do the drunk test etc.. I did fine.

--------------------

sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael and Tickbattler, thanks for your parasite advise.

I am already trying Salt/C. I take one table spoon of each yet and find the C much easier than the Salt. But I dont have any reaction from it yet. How to go on? Where do I find a short "How to do it"?

Regarding other parasite treatment I considered Humaworm, but read on their website that they dont ship any longer to any country in the European Union (where I live).

Also started Artemisia annua after some llmds told me to but still unsure which bug it is supposed to kill.

PoconoLyme, for how long did you take Ivig and when did you start to feel improvement?

Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement