LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have HIDA Scan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have HIDA Scan?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am scheduled for one on Wed. and I have already rescheduled it twice b/c I'm scared. Worried about reaction to whatever it is they inject.

Has anyone here had a HIDA and if so can you please share your experience with me? It really is time for me to have this done as I've had ongoing suspected liver/gallbladder issues I'm just really scared of a reaction. Thanks!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a hida scan, as far as the procedure goes, in my opinion, not bad. When they inject the solution, you can get some cramping, but honestly, I have felt worse things.

I am not sure exactly what the solution is that is injected, but you may want to call and find out first so you can have some peace of mind.

I had no reaction. That is just me though and thought I would add a positive response.

--------------------
Winni

Posts: 150 | From Nebraska | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had two of them. Eventually, the gall bladder had to come out.

As Winni said, you may experience some cramping, but otherwise, not bad at all.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both. It is that I am so sensitive to everything that I worry about an allergic reaction.

May I ask you both what the HIDA showed? I have had several ultrasounds that show nothing yet I still have intermittent issues of elevated bilirubin and often have pain in the upper rt. side of my abdomen and sometimes have pale stools.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pale stools sounds like a liver problem. I've had a HIDA and it said LOW functioning GB. It came out 8 yrs ago.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you asking what the Hida scan is in general? If so, the scan will show the functionality of your gall bladder by what passes through it (this is my understanding, sorry if that is really non-technical).

My hida scan revealed that my gall bladder was functioning at about 26%. My doctor told me the normal percentage is about 32-36%. He advised me that I should not be having symptoms at 26%. I was however and ironically, when i stopped taking Biaxin, all my symptoms ended. Just my situation and thought i would let you know what happened with me.

--------------------
Winni

Posts: 150 | From Nebraska | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Tutu,

Will the HIDA show what is going on with my liver if anything?

Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no problem w my hida scan. Was having GB symptoms for yrs. getting worse over time, went to ER had scan, showed gravel in GB. Once in surgery it was enlarged -elongated - a sign of chronic stress. I was so happy to get it out.

My mom had GB out at 30 also.but we weren't fat, forty, and fertile like docs are taught in Med school

It was like a big load of Lyme was gone from my body, easy recovery these days unlike my mom's surgery in the 70s

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no problem w my hida scan. Was having GB symptoms for yrs. getting worse over time, went to ER had scan, showed gravel in GB. Once in surgery it was enlarged -elongated - a sign of chronic stress. I was so happy to get it out.

My mom had GB out at 30 also.but we weren't fat, forty, and fertile like docs are taught in Med school

It was like a big load of Lyme was gone from my body, easy recovery these days unlike my mom's surgery in the 70s

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Littlesprout,

Love what you say about feeling like a big load of Lyme was gone afterward. Would love if that's the outcome for me as well.

Well, wish me luck. Tomorrow's the big day for the hida.

Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

tickled, you are going to do great. Good Luck, keep us posted. Take Care.

--------------------
Winni

tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks so much Winni!
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

tickled1
Member # 14257

Had hida today. Wasn't fun. First hour was fine but then when they injected the CCK I had severe cramping and nausea.

Don't know what my result is but it took over an hour for my gallbladder to start filling and at the end of the test my gallbladder was still visible on the screen.

Not sure if all that indicated an abnormal test or not but from what I've just read on the internet about it, it doesn't sound normal. I read that for it to take that long for the gallbladder to fill that is not normal and also at the end of the test the gallbladder should no longer be visible on the screen. Does anyone know?

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is normal to still be able to see the gallbladder on the screen. The techs have to input data, and use the image from before they gave you the cck, and at the end of the time of the cck. Then the computer will calculate the ejection fraction.

That is the percentage that tells the dr how well the gallbladder is working. A HIDA scan doesn't tell the dr if you have gallstones, the dr should already know that you do not. Nuclear Medicine tests are not for seeing what an organ looks like (although we can see some but not very clear)

Nuclear medicine exams are functional, how an organ is functioning. If your gallbladder is not functioning well, then the ejection fraction will be low. Each dr has their own standard as far as what percent you should be at before they are willing to take out your gallbladder.

Some say 35%, 30%, 25% as cut off of normal to take out a gallbladder.

What you actually would be looking for on the screen would be how much of a difference there was in size (if the tech didn't mess with the settings of the screen) of the gallbladder at the end of the exam compared to the begining.

However, you really can't eyeball it.

Also, It's a normal protocol to watch the gallbladder for 60 min, before administering the cck. Just so you know. And then typically you have another 30 min after that.

Hope this helps tickled.

I was an intern in nuclear medicine (i did graduate, but have never worked in the field) before i became sick. Im not an expert tho... and i have lost alot of knowledge becuase of lyme, I know some of my terms i wrote may not be exact, but are close. I can't work in the field, because of my cognitive issues plus tons of others.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Laura,

Thanks for that info. I did know that they do wait 60 to administer cck but the tech told me that the gallbladder should start filling at about 45 min. and at 60 min. she said it was just beginning to fill.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the results are. I was hoping she'd give me some feedback but she didn't. Thanks again.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Finally got my results today. Ejection fraction is 17%. Says "Abnormal gallbladder ejection fraction is likely secondary to biliary dyskinesia/chronic cholecystitis."

Doctor says I may want to consider having it out.

Suzy50
Member # 30466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzy50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light colored stools can be gluten intolerance. Good luck with gallbladder removal. Had mine removed, that is when they found the stones. In my opinion, ultrasounds for gallbladder are worthless.
Posts: 44 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

I'm very nervous about going under general anesthesia. I've never gone under before. Also nervous about all I read abou how some people have diarrhea the rest of their life after gallbladder removal.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement