LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » insomnia driving me crazy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: insomnia driving me crazy
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appreciate input!
Ok, Neuro Lyme. Was on Rocephin, now on Cefdinir, Zithromax and Mepron. (I also take an antidepressant, Clonapin, and a mild ant-psychotic for mood swings, fun...)

I do not fall asleep before 3 am, often not before 6am. Don't wake up in the middle of the night like I did years ago (been under treatment off and on for years), but I can't function before 11am. I get fatigued after just a couple of hours

Racing thoughts, weird thoughts, graphic dreams once I go sleep. Extremely constipated.

Sleep aids have never worked for me.
What now?

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately insomnia comes with Lyme. I have the same thing.

It is 3:39 am. here and I have been awake for almost 1 1/2 hours.

Pain and a feeling of being very uncomfortable wake me up most nights.

Oddly I do function fairly well in the day time except for flairs.

I don't have the answer. I did take ativan and tramadol together at one time and it really helped me stay in bad and some rest during the night.

When you find the answer let me know will you? As you know it gets very old.

I have learned to get up and find a diversion just to stay sane.

The computer is my friend during the night.

I can surf all I want and not many others are on so my computer is much faster.

Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take multiple items for sleep but I think the one med that is helping me the most is Seroquel. I take 25 mg slow release.

If my insomnia is really flaring I up it to 50mg or take 25 or regular Seroquel and 25mg of SR.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Also thyroid?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robbiem
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my sympathies. It can drive you to insanity, I know.

When I was treating Babesia, it really escalated pretty much to the point of what you describe.

And I also relate to what CozyNana said -- oddly I could still function somehow through out the day, although I was a mess mentally.

My LLMD took me off everything and switched his approach and instead started going after the big fish, parasites instead.

My sleep issues diminished within about a week or so and I was finally able to get to sleep by midnight and get 5-6hrs in at a time.

From there it improved.

I was prescribed Klonopin's to take at the very worst of it and have to say it was a God send as nothing and I mean NOTHING else touched it.

I tried Trazadone, and it was senseless as whatever sleep I was able to get didn't feel like "real" sleep.

I did find there seemed to be some sort of tie in with having to using the bathroom alot at night --- like there was some sort of an odd tie in with my bowels/urinary tract system.

WHich I guess is the opposite of what you are describing.

Colonic Therapy might be key for both the constipation, and some of the other issues as they say almost everything starts in the gut, especially neuro type stuff, which insomnia is.

RObbie

Posts: 192 | From New England | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast/candida can cause insomnia too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
catgirl: Lyme already killed my Thyroid and have been taking SYnthroid and some other med I can't remember for both T3 & T4, stable.

so far no candida problem, yet.

If I can get ahold of my LLNP, i will ask about the others.
Thank you all.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valarian knocks me out.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium before bed has been helping my insomnia. And if I've been up for a few days, I take 1/2 a xanax and that helps.
Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause irritated nerves, which can lead to insomnia as well.

And so can imbalanced hormones (in addition to Thyroid)...

Also, constipation and insomnia may be connected...constipation leads to toxins, which may irritate the nerves in the brain...

And constipation may be a symptom of imbalanced serotonin in the gut...which may also be a reflection of imbalanced serotonin in the brain...which can affect sleep as well...

And don't discount the possibility that the constipation and insomnia may be at least in part due to medication side-effects...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try drinking aloe vera juice (tastes kind of bad at first) several times every day for constipation. I've had terrible insomnia earlier in the illness also. I would cry and ask God, "Is it too much to ask to be able to sleep and be able to poop?". Oh, the things we used to take for granted.

Constipation was bad before the illness hit me hard. I think it's top priority to be able to eliminate waste. Give the aloe vera juice a try and you could also try beet juice.

Good luck!

Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also need to be sure you still need that thyroid meds. They can cause insomnia. My sleep has improved with parasite/babes is treatment and low dose ambien.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knock out with 25-50mg benadryl.

For constipation, drinking mangosteen juice can keep intestines regular.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klonapin "warms" some folks up, if taken in the evening.
MY recommend is to substitute another "benzo" [benzodiazapine] called lorazepam (i.e: Ativan)
in the evening.
MUCH better for relaxing to get to sleep. ;-)

I'd suggest that U ask your doc to write a trial prescription.
1/2 mg is all many need, though 1 & 2 mg tabs are available.
I split the 1 mg tabs. Cheaper that way. Your doc could write "Take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, for ..."
Don't do both! (klonapin & ativan)
And add some melatonin.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement