LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme induced Asthma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme induced Asthma
TimberLine
Member # 39926

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TimberLine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just diagnosed with Asthma by a pulmonologist. This doctor, which has no idea about Lyme disease. Wants to treat me with steroids. I'm worried about using steroids, because it weakens the immune system. My immune system is already at a very weakened state.

I know he's the doctor, but I'm not sure it's Asthma. I have had Bronchitis and a sinus infection. There's a lot of drainage, and I believe the wheezing in my lungs, is from the infection.

I see my Lyme doctor in a couple of days. He wanted me to see him before taking any steroids.

Has anyone had this kind of experience? Anyone with Lyme induced Asthma, or any feedback on treating Asthma while in the chronic stages of Lyme?

--------------------
Greg

Posts: 3 | From Prescott, AZ. | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See if you can find info about air hunger and lung worm related to Lyme disease.

I believe I had both and now not a problem after being treated for Lyme and Babesia.

I don't know which treatment got rid of it.

Just know once I started treatment it went away.

I would not suggest you go on steroids.

Get to a LLMD and let him help you find a way to address this issue correctly.

Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes my mom unfortunately has this and it is a constant battle between treating the lyme and breathing (steroids).

If you haven't done so get a baseline on your lung function so you can monitor whether the lyme treatment is making you worse. I think the herxing could have damaged my mom's lungs.

I wish I had more answers for you but we still are trying to find them out too.

Hopefully your pulmonologist will work with your LLMD.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dd was dx with asthma during her lyme tx. Our llmd told her to take her asthma meds, and abx. Thankfully, since her lyme tx she hasn't had to use her steroid inhalers. Her immune function has improved even using the inhalers. You have to be able to breathe. Of course she is 12 and I believe her immune function was able to recover better than someone my age, (late 40's).

Of course, I don't know your situation, but for her, llmd said go ahead and use steroids until she's better then stop them. She hasn't used either inhaler in months.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**moving to medical**

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just to be sure the information is out there, for anyone with lungs, acetaminophen can spell disaster. Many are aware that it can damage the liver but the way it can do that - by robbing our bodies of glutathione - can cause trouble for the rest of the body, too.

The lungs can take a huge hit, too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

December 2011

Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link

Excerpt:

. . . Even a single dose of acetaminophen can reduce the body�s levels of glutathione, a peptide that helps repair oxidative damage that can drive inflammation in the airways, researchers have found. . . .

------

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/22/8962056-tiny-overdoses-of-tylenol-can-add-up-to-deadly-damage

Tiny overdoses of Tylenol can add up to deadly damage

By Rachel Rettner 11-22-11

Taking even slightly too much Tylenol over a period of several days can lead to an overdose with deadly consequences, a new study says. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had SEVERE rush me to the hospital asthma for over 40 yrs with bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis. This was before I was dx with Lyme. 4 yrs of abx didn't alleviate it.

It wasn't until I started antiparasitic herbs and salt/c did I get rid of it. Lungworms are very common with Lyme and often not dx from mainstream docs. They really don't have a clue.

Parasites/worms play a HUGE role in Lyme disease and is now considered the number 1 co-infection. Google parasite symptoms and check out the Parasite Warrior Support Thread.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Big Ditto to Gael's detail. Here's that link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122300;p=0

Parasite Warriors Support Thread
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have asthma as did my mother and my grandmother. Mine is allergy related and unfortunately when I get a cold or the flu it settles in my chest. The asthma may have nothing at all to do with Lyme or parasites as this is the case with mine.

Sometimes in the case of asthma steroids are needed and the benefit outweighs the risk. I take a daily steroid inhaler which my LLNP told me to definitely continue with. Just recently I got the flu which resulted in severe chest congestion and wheezing. My PCP as well as my pulmonologist insisted I needed a course of prednisone. My PCP reluctantly agreed to switch me to a different steroid inhaler, which fortunately has calmed things down.

If I had needed the prednisone my LLNP said to take it because if you can't breathe you have no choice. Asthma can be very dangerous if not properly controlled. My pulmonologist lectured me on the dangers of asthma and the subsequent death rates that occur.

My intention is not to scare you just want you to know that there will be many that say absolutely no steroids which is putting all of people in serious danger. Steroids used properly can save lives.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steroids for a brief time during an infection can be a lifesaver. I personally would try to avoid them long term like advair.

These have helped me a lot : singulair , oregano capsules ( 3 at a time from vitamin shoppe or " Oregamax " which is costly ) and treating lungworm with ivermectin praziquantel .

There is also a GREAT product called clear lungs that is chinese herbs and works great w/ NO side effects . It is available at iherb .

The oregano capsules worked well for me and they are great anti oxidants . I would have never thought that oregano would be helpful.

Read reviews of oregamax at iherb - some say they got off advair with it .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of a couple things you can do on your own to help improve your breathing.

The first is magnesium.
Symptoms of low magnesium include muscle twitches and spasms.
The tiny air sacs in the lungs, the alveoli, can spasm, which causes wheezing and asthma.

Look into Mullein, which is helpful for the lungs.
Here are the Mullein products at iHerb, check the reviews to see how people do with it.
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=mullein&x=19&y=17#none

People in Europe can go down into old salt mines and breathe in salt ions, to help treat lung problems.
You can do this yourself by inhaling through a tube filled with salt crystals.

Read about salt pipe inhalers.
http://thesaltpipe.co.uk/

There are a number of brands and vendors who carry them.
Look up salt inhaler at Amazon.com.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

After reading this article, you may realize that you have other symptoms of low magnesium.
This is common in people with Lyme, as the Lyme bacteria use up the magnesium in our cells, where they live.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement