LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dental Fillings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental Fillings
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening everyone,
I am scheduled to received my first dental filling in a couple of weeks. I have read the horror stories of mercury fillings etc. and how they have been linked to chronic illness.

I am wondering what is the safest filling to get? I want to run this by my dentist before i go there to ensure they have this type of filling.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Mark

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only other type of filling material out there for a direct filling is plastic composite white fillings. They are bonded onto the tooth/dentin.

You can have indirect things done, as in gold or porcelain as an inlay or onlay. These are made in a dental lab. Your dentist preps the tooth, takes an impression and sends it to the lab. They fabricate the onlay and then the dentist cements it to your tooth.

The Direct fillings are the normal way of doing things. One visit and finished. Bonding agents and composite white material is the only other choice besides the alloy. Some people still think alloy has a lot of mercury in it that you get sick from.

It's your decision. But those are the choices.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay that's exactly what I needed to know.
Thank you very much [Smile]

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend you go and see a biologic dentist. You can find one in your area on these websites:
www.iaomt.org
www.iabdm.org
www.holisticdental.org/find_holistic_dentist

They will test you for compatible materials by doing the Clifford Test (done by sending a blood sample for analysis).

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Hopeandpraying said. I made the mistake (a few years ago) of seeing a regular dentist to replace a filling with a crown. I felt horrible during and after treatment. It was not worth it.

I am currently seeing a biological dentist, and there is definitely a difference in what they do vs. a regular dentist (more protection). Plus, I didn't feel so horrible during and after the work. It did stir up my lyme though.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Cool! Thanks for the input!
AuntyLynn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've never had a tooth filled? You're kidding, right?

The silver metal fillings do contain mercury - which any doc should know is a brain poison! On the other hand, these fillings are very pliable, and are easily packed into irregular crevices to form a tight seal - they are well known for keeping that seal for DECADES without incident!

The "white composite" filling has cosmetic advantages in that it does not leave an obvious "dark spot" on the tooth. Composite fillings have been used for years in areas where a dark filling would mar one's appearance. However, if you are worred about PCBs or other "plastic toxins" composite fillings are not without their own possible risks. Also, some claim that they do not "hold up" as well as metal fillings, and can require multiple repairs over time.

For decades - the dental association has asserted that metal fillings are perfectly safe. Only recently has the ADA admitted that mercury fillings may pose a risk for long-term poisoning, and have now taken the "official" position not to recommend them.

Either way, an untreated dental infection can lead to much more misery down the road - and an ounce of prevention ...

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, stay away from the mercury/silver metal amalgams! If you don't want to go through the expense & bother of a Clifford test - just ask for a composite filling without silver or metal.

One place I went stuck some kind of a fluoride shield in between the composite without telling me until after it was over... I was ****ed - so, you may want to tell them you don't want any extras like that.

Some of the chemicals in the composite fillings aren't that good but it's better than mercury.

It's hard to find a good dentist. Going to a "biological" one does not always guarantee a good result. I've seen a few who were con artists. Just try to find a good dentist with proper training & who are experienced. If they don't seem to know what they are doing - get out of there or do not go back.

I know it's hard to find a good dentist in some areas of the country.

About the Clifford test-
http://www.ccrlab.com/

fyi-

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/formspubs/pub_dmfs_english_webview.pdf

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

hahaha yes I guess I've been lucky so far!

Thanks for all the info everything! I literally knew nothing about this process. I have kind of neglected my teeth over the last couple of years as I was busy trying to figure out what was wrong with me and subsequently treating lyme, so my dental health got put on the back burner a little bit.

However, I am getting back on track with a highly recommended dentist who I like so far. So while I'm confident they will use the safest fillings, I want to make sure that I know what the safest types of fillings are!

Thanks again everyone,
Mark

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement