LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Frustrated with Cowden

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frustrated with Cowden
J-Dog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-Dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I seem unable to to reach the goal of 30 drops 4x a day. I am unable to even get to 30drops once a day.

This protocol is really strong. I have tried so hard and made myself sick pushing the limits on this.

Anyone else have this experience? If I do just half a days worth do you think I will reap some benefit?

I am miserable and cannot fight any more and cannot function. I do not think treatment should be this difficult.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd say stay at the levell that you are comfortable with for awhile. might be several weeks before you cna build up.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start with 1 drop & work it up. You don't have to do it so you are ill or suffering. It takes time. Extend it out longer if you need to. The dosages are just guidelines for what you should try for. You don't have to start out with them.

Some of the herbs can be very intense. Everyone is different.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a new LLMD who does herbs and I was told that herbs are too strong for me right now. I was having horrible allergic reactions to antibiotics too(definitely NOT a herx).

We're working on my methylation cycle first before adding any herbs into the mix.

I have a friend who worked on methylation for a year before being able to tolerate herbs. Herbs were just way too strong.

I've been working on methylation for a couple weeks and feel better than I have in 6 months.

Herbs can be very strong and powerful. I hope you can find a workaround so you can tolerate them.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30 drops 4 times a day??

That is too much. The max for adult is 30 drops 2x a day.
Building up slowly.

I got to 25 drops 2x a day- held there for a long time.
I'm about 100 pounds.
Detox may help...

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J-Dog,

My LLMD has me taking Ginger twice a day to counter the nausea. It has worked very well. I also used the herx procedure, which is listed at the bottom of each page, when I had a particularly bad herx (feeling unusually sick).

Surprise,

The Cowden Protocol does call for taking 30 drops of the anti-microbial herbs 4 times a day.

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I thought original post meant the same tincture
(example Samento) 4x a day at 30 drops.

1 type of tincture should be max 2x a day 30 drops.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you can just stick to the lower doses of samento and banderol that you tolerate for a while and then build them up. The other drops (Burbur, sparga, pinella, trace mins) are probably not the issue, so try sticking to the doses of those that are standard on the protocol (ie 4 of Trace, 10 of the others).

Are you handling the zeolite? Are you having enough bathroom visits?

It does appear to be very common for people to build up the doses more slowly than the protocol, so just find a level you can handle and give yourself lots of time as you build up....no point in overloading your system.

I have bad reactions every few days and cut right back on the next few doses myself.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Dog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-Dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I do not think it is the detoxification items and the zeolite that are the culprit.

It is certainly the antimicrobials. I am just going to stay where I can right now and not beat myself up for not being able to get to the recommended doses yet.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thinking!
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My practitioner uses a modified cowden - just samento/cumanda/burbur with other things such as GSE. She has healed lyme patients with 10 drops twice/day of each of these herbs. If you are herxing that means it is killing stuff...you need to lower the dose to a level that you can function on!! She now uses up to 20 drops twice/day but normally does not recommend 30 drops twice/day. Everyone is different and you have to listen to your body.

Zeolite can make you feel terrible so you want to make sure that is not the culprit as well.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into treating parasites which is now recognized as the number one co-infection of Lyme by ILADS. This could be the missing link for you and you might need antiparasitics.

This protocol doesn't seem to be working for you and when you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results it's unrealistic. Google parasite symptoms and see if you can relate.

I took 4 yrs of abx and kept herxing, but was still very sick. Treating antiparasitics was the only thing that turned the corner for me.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glm1111: did you treat parasites while still taking abx? or should you go off of abx while treating parasites?

I'm thinking of tellling my LLMD on next visit to treat parasites even though test came back negative, been 3+ years and no better.

Is it OK to treat parasites even with a negative test? will anything happen if you really don't have them?

thanks for any info

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was off abx when i treated parasites, but I have read here others treated parasites while on abx.

I took antiparasitic herbs such as Parastroy, Humaworm, Hulda Clark and Hanna Kroeger Wormwood Combo plus salt/c.

Herbs and salt/c are very benficial and can knock out most if not all of these pathogens. Ninety percent of the people on the planet have parasites.

I tested negative for parasites and was loaded. the tests are very inncacurate. Take a look at the current PARASITE WARRIOR SUPPORT THREAD.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

It's worth mentioning that, if parasites are in fact holding you back, the Cowden protocol does have built-in rotated antiparasiitic herbs, the main relevant ones being:
Banderol..........anti protozoal
Quinoa.............ditto
Cumanda.........ditto and hits worms
Enula................ditto .. ditto
Mora..................ditto ...ditto

I'm not trying to say that these are necessarily the best options, as I am only on month 2 of the protocol, so can't judge. Banderol in my case is definitely hitting something though, whether parasite, bacteria or whatever!

glm1111
Member # 16556

The only way I knew if the antiparasitics were working on G.I. parasites was if they started exiting. Herxing constantly does not mean you are getting rid of the parasites. The three main antiparasitic herbs are Wormwood, Black walnut Hull and Cloves.

Some of these parasites are laying 200,000 eggs a day. Cloves and salt/c helps get rid of the eggs. If you don't get rid of the eggs, they will keep hatching and disseminating.

I really urge everyone on this board who is chronically ill to take antiparasitics specific for these parasites.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement