LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » desperate for help...horrid physiologic anxiety...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: desperate for help...horrid physiologic anxiety...
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my hardest symptom to explain, but by far one of the worst. i'm on my 5th day of horrible physical anxiety...I hope this makes sense. My legs can't relax I feel like I want to rip the skin off...along with this is insomnia, ringing in ears, headaches...but the worst is this anxiety..I have to quarantine myself to the couch because I cant stop moving...last night was the worst night I've had in 15 years...
I don't know whether to go to ER or what to do, as I need urgent relief...I'm on 2 benzos (clonazapam and Ativan) and they aren't working..not sure what to try now.
If anyone has any thoughts, I am desperate. Last night i didnt want to live anymore.
Thanks
-S

Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did this just come out of the blue or did you change a medication your taking?

Valium might work, but my doctor never gives it to me. My sister says it's less adicitive then Klonopin which I'm on too.

Sorry about the way you feel.

Maybe someone has some insight.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need a slower metabolizing benzo. Valium would work better to get you through now. Sounds like either rebound anxiety from the 2 your on now or just tolerance increase.

I've been exactly where you're at, tried EVERYTHING to put myself down and it just made it worse. The ER will not understand.

Most importantly, you need to do whatever it takes to string together a few nights of good sleep.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you both...I will try to ask my dr for valium although he's an extremely tough sell.
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vistaril is an antihistimine that also helps anxity

when my mom was really sick with neuro lyme at the end large doses really helped her

when i started with minor anx i started taking much smaller doses and it helped so much

i take it to sleep at night-25-50mg does it----mom was on 300.

and occasionally i will take one during the day..it doesnt knowck me out like the other stuff...i can function-drive. idepend on this

the generic is missing one ingredient and doesnt work you need the real thing/ good luck.

very few if any side effcts

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like me when I get a bad herx. I take a Valium (from hubby's dwindling supply--doc doesn't want to prescribe it for me) and that helps a lot.

Also warm bath or gentle sauna, magnesium.

If you are taking antimicrobials can you stop that for a while until the symptoms subside?

A long term solution to daily anxiety levels is high doses of inositol--you might want to look into this--it's used for OCD, anxiety, depression, and all kinds of things. You can even find studies on PubMed.

I take inositol daily and it has helped my jittery anxiety tremendously, although I still get it when I herx.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check into treating parasites which is now considered the number one co-infection of Lyme by ILADS. Google parasite symptoms. Anxiety is def on the list as are some of your other symptoms.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A low dose of prozac or zoloft ( I rotate from one to the other ) has made painful anxiety a distant memory for me . Thank God! I think that is what I personally needed to have a normal life .
I pray you find an answer as it feels like you are going to jump out of your own skin sometime .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it possibly be hyperthyroid? That will cause symptoms like what you are describing.

Take your pulse, especially when you feel so hyper. If your pulse is high, then it is possibly hyperthyroid making you feel this way. It is a horrible feeling and you can't physically relax, can't sleep or stay asleep, etc.

Your doc can order thyroid tests to see if you are in the normal range. T4, T3, TSH, etc.

I was temporarily hyperthyroid and I even felt like I was trembling from it. It also caused swelling under my eyes.

Lyme disease quite often affects the thyroid, so you may want to get this checked out. You can also get a virus that attacks the thyroid and makes you hyperthyroid temporarily (for a few months). Then, it goes away. If you have had this for 15 years, I hope you have had your thyroid checked out. You can't just be hyperthyroid for a long time or it can damage your heart.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TF:
Could it possibly be hyperthyroid? That will cause symptoms like what you are describing.

I wondered the same thing. Recently, I felt such horrific anxiety, the only way I could describe it was that it felt like my adrenals exploded.

I realized that my Synthroid was doubled 2 wks prior. Once I went back to the original dose, my anxiety went back to baseline.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Thank you everyone...I'm on zoloft and had my thyroid tested several times (they all said "normal" but we know what that means)...The worst part of this is not knowing who to turn to for relief of symptoms. I know I'll have this disease for the rest of me life; but, my god, these symptoms are crippling...
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It may be that the overall toxicity is causing the anxiety. It sure can. And, with the very drugs that are supposed to help, maybe making it worse:

http://psychdrugs.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/heath-ledge-dies-of-rx-cocktail-includes-alprazolam-xanax-and-niravam-and-doxylamine-valium/

Excerpts:

. . . Benzodiazepines deplete approximately 50% of the glutathione from the white blood cells within five hours, and these cells defend our body from infection and foreign material.

This may explain why prolonged use of benzodiazepines can severely compromise our health. Dr. Jimmy Gutman describes Glutathione as �Food for the Immune System.�

Replenishing the body of critical Glutathione levels not only helps to improve immune function, but also allows the body to detoxify naturally. . .

------
Also be sure to avoid Glutamine, Glutamic acid. Detail here as to how devastating that - and some other things - can be by causing anxiety:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors . ..

What can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get copies of the thyroid tests if you don't have them. See if you are near the outer limits of the ranges (high or low), even in the outer 1/3 of the range.

You may want to post the test results for our experts here to evaluate.

Also, take your pulse when the anxiety is bad. See if it is normal. Take the pulse at other times also. See if it is normal.

When I had lyme, the anxiety was bad. It went away with good treatment. I took xanax during all the years I was misdiagnosed as being in periomenopause and menopause.

Have you had your hormone levels checked--estrogen, testosterone, etc.?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement