LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PORT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PORT
Lauren777
Member # 31163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor ordered an invisiport to be placed in my arm next Monday. Can anyone who has one, or has had one answer a few questions for me.

First, how does the needle insertion work? Is this a daily thing? Do you have to pierce your skin everyday to access it? Can you do it yourself?

Can you fully shower with the port?

Also, do you have to have a nurse dress it every so often, or is this something you can learn on your own?

Any information is much appreciated. I have had weekly peripherals in the past, and it was a breeze. After a little research the port seems so complicated and I'm not sure what additional costs I will incur having to go in regularly to have it accessed or dressed.

Thanks so much.

--------------------
Lauren777

Posts: 32 | From Stockton, CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a port but it is in my right chest. You have to cover it with press n seal to shower and keep it dry when you have the needle in the port.

On the days you don't have to infuse, the needle comes out and you can fully shower or swim.

The needle goes in once a week and stays in based on the infusion schedule your doctor has you on.

For example, I infuse 5 days a week so my needle is out for 2 days and the cycle starts again. My needle comes out Friday mornings after I infuse so I can shower fully three times and use my infrared sauna.

The dressing goes on once a week when the needle goes in. Honestly, I would not want the port in my arm. Ports have less that can go wrong with them because they are under the skin.

If you every had to learn to access the port yourself, I think it would be very difficult to do that if it is in the arm. There is a direct line to the artery in the heart if it is placed on the right side of your chest.

Both my husband and I have it in that way and it is a breeze to take care of. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. My port has been in a year.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren777
Member # 31163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the information.
Do you have a nurse access it weekly? Do they come to you? Is it something that insurance normally covers? Are you able to shower during the 5 days you have the needle in, or is it more of a spnge bath?
Thanks again for all your help.

--------------------
Lauren777

Posts: 32 | From Stockton, CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren,
Hopefully the port will be good for you! I second the fact that it may be easier in your chest.

Whether a nurse comes out every week depends on your insurance. I have a certain amount of visits per year, and I can go to their office anytime.

They taught me how to access it myself, so it gives me more flexibility. I love my port, and I hope this helps!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My port (it's in the chest) stays accessed all week for my IV's.

Honestly, it is very difficult to shower with the port accessed.

I have special shower covers for this but they don't stick well enough on their own to keep water out. I have to use waterproof tape to reinforce them.

Even with all this I still have to hurry in the shower and be careful to keep checking that my dressing cover is still sealed. It's incredibly stressful. I don't wan't my dressing to get wet. Despite my best efforts the covers still leak every now and then.

I've started putting 2x2gauze sponges under the covers. This can help catch some water, gives a little extra protection if/ when the cover leaks.

It was much easier to shower with a PICC line in the arm.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a hand shower and avoid the port area. The press n seal keeps any water that is splashed off the port.

I started out with a nurse coming out to access. Then I went on vacation and had to learn to do it myself. Now I just do it myself every week. I also access my husband's port for him.

A port does not restrict any activity and the people I know who have a picc line say they can feel the line pull when they do certain things.

My insurance covered just about all of the port cost.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren777
Member # 31163

Thank you all so much! I'm not sure why he wants it placed in the arm? It's a newer port called an invisaport. I will just have to remove the shower head and rinse off quickly to make sure I don't get it wet.
I will let you know how it works out in the arm.
Take care

--------------------
Lauren777

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement