LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antidepressant and Anti- Anxiety Drugs How Many Take ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antidepressant and Anti- Anxiety Drugs How Many Take ?
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been so depressed and anxious I do take xanax but think of trying an antidepressant again .. Would like some input from those who take , have tried or don't take.. How do you cope?

I seem to live in Fear everyday.. Afraid something bad is going to happen, not only to me but everyone around, fear of leaving home, fear of going to a doc, taking meds etc..

Tks..

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through the same thing a few years back...I have terrible reactions to anti depressants but managed to do okay on Wellbutrin. I was on for a couple years and then slowly tapered off.

I still have fears about everything but manage to cope better. Mostly I worry I will forever feel like this and never feel normal again.

I am very sensitive to meds which is why I had such bad reactions to anti depressants but if the fear is really interfering with everyday living then you should try something..it did help me through a rough time.

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tks. Kim I too have had bad reactions to antidepressants but with my fears I felt maybe I didn't give them a chance and so sensitive to most all meds.

There are times I wonder if it is my fears or the meds.. Doctors get so discussed with me and I understand why but I know my body..

I feel doomed if I do and doomed if I don't and Yes I live every day wondering if I will ever be normal and for me at my age it is doubtful..

I cry a lot and feel whats the use as seems I have tried everything I can afford .. I feel if the fear was gone I would cope so much better..

Have seen a therapist but not much help.. I don't fear them,..lol

Sorry you feel this way as I think we share the weird head feelings too... Miserable , Miserable

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sensitive to meds, so I had to wean up very, very slowly on my anti-depressant.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they have been very helpful for me....not so much for depression as for anxiety and panic and more importantly for brain function(reading, comprehension).

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started slowly on the Wellbutrin and ended up taking the SR . I do think it helped at the time..I was crying all the time. I still cry but not as often. I go through periods when I can't stop crying but then go for weeks with no tears.
I get hopeless and that is when I have the worse time..but then I get angry and tell myself not to give up and keep fighting cuz I have a wonderful husband and great life when I can enjoy it.

Wellbutrin is one of the more mild ones and you can wean up if needed..I am at the point where I try anything and if it isn't right then I move on..
I have a fantastic doctor and consider myself extremely lucky..you can message me if you want to talk more..

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is taking Ativan for anxiety. It does help. He has been on it before for anxiety.

When the anxiety eases off he weans off the med.

Antidepressants did nothing but cause side effects for him. But neither was he depressed, so maybe thats why they didn't help.

He also takes Relora (from vitacost) which helps with the anxiety.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celexa has helped me, plus I still take Xanax. I was very nervous about taking antidepressants; and started with very low doses. That helped alot.

Also therapy has helped me learn how to change my negative thoughts to positive ones. How you think affects your mood. You have to train your brain to think positive thoughts. Eventually it will help ease depression and anxiety.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would need one that covers anxiety . Welbutrin does not - just depression.

I had severe anxiety way before lyme as it runs for generations in my family . I have had a normal life for 20 plus years with generic zoloft or prozac at a low dose. Living in fear is a nightmare and crippling . It is unncessary !

If you want to avoid drugs, check out books on amazon like "The Mood Cure ". My 2 cents: I would take an extra B vitamin every day . Depeletion of B6 can cause serious mood issues . Also I would take generous amt fish oil, and also
GABA and taurine ( amino acid ) . These help the brain avoid getting stuck in the fear mode.

I take a low dose of AD ( zoloft or sometimes switch to prozac) with no serious problems or side effects . I also take taurine at night ( a capsule ) and one SAME E capsule. These help me need only a low dose of medicine .

You can try the aaminos, B Vits , and fish oil first , and see how you respond .

Also check out on Google :" Priscilla Slagle MD The Way Up From Down " more info on dealing with chemical imbalances with amino acids .

I have no problem with taking an antidepressant ! However, it may be avoided by some with alternatives . Whatever, do treat the issue before it erodes self esteem . There is no reason to languish in debilitating fear !

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Therapy may be helpful to a degree, but if a chemical imbalance is the underling problem , it will not resolve the imbalance .

These problems are often genetic also . I do not want to dismiss the value of a therapist , but know for certain they can not correct brain disorders.

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Tks. all, have tried therapy, meditation etc. seems no help.. I have tried ad's not sure if I can't take or didn't give them a chance.. Thinking of trying again, maybe..

I have seen them help so many but most didn't have lyme.. Oh, well ...

BobG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son did best on Zoloft and practioners at a leading hospital said they had good experience with other Lyme patients with Zoloft. It has a strong anti-anxiety effect. Start very low and ramp up very slowly. Most Lyme patients will not tolerate anything near the "normal" dose. Be patient. It takes weeks to become fully effective.
Posts: 360 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes Lexapro for both anxiety and depression. She was on 20mg, weaned down to 5 and after the death of her father is back on 20. It really helps her.

She has been on a tough IV protocol so is also taking Ativan for Babesia herxes and nausea. It helps too.

I hate having her on all of these meds. It seems so counter-intuitive to eating healthy and GF/SF etc.

I just can't wait until she's off of everything, but in the meantime, whatever works!

Best wishes!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

I have two daughters and one has clinical depression easily managed with low dose zoloft or prozac . My doc told me years ago to watch my children for signs of it , that either or both could have it . Like me, my youngest daughter can get off the meds, but the symptoms eventually return .

We all have MTHFR gene also , which isa factor . I have one brother who has identical experience as mine and take same meds . We have totally different personalities , but almost identical symptoms and respond easily to same meds . Genetics can play a huge role , and a therapist can not change a gene .

I thank God for the new meds and also for alternatives that work for some like amino acids
or rhodiola, or St Johns Wort, Sam E . There is no good reason to have your life ruined by fear , anxiety , or black clouds of despair . There are things that can work for most people !

There is a good book and website called "The Way Up From Down" by Dr Priscilla Slagle and other books on moods, anxiety, and depression if you go to book section at amazon. There are reviews of the books and the ideas contained in the literature .

--------------------
annxyzz

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement