LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Salt/c Causing Weight Gain? Help Please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt/c Causing Weight Gain? Help Please!
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carolann2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on salt/c for three weeks. I have begun to see results.

I have always had a water retention problem. I have been battling my weight for about three years.

I have had a slow steady gain during the past three years. I started out at 135 pounds and now I am at 175 pounds.

I have always had a problem with water retention. I have been taking a water pill forever.

I do ask the doctor about it, they just say that I am menopausal and that is normal. Also it is hereditary.

Now I am doing the salt/c. I have gained five pounds in the last three weeks. I am still taking my water pill.

The water pill is not doing as well as it did before the salt/c.

I do intend to find out about my thyroid. I just can do one thing at a time. (Husband is having some serious medical problems at the time)

I am still working full time. So I have to take care of things one thing at a time.

My question is....do you think that the salt/c is causing my weight gain and puffiness? I am also following the rules of the Ebook..75% veggies and fruit. So my change in eating should be enough for me to lose weight.

I am soooo depressed!!!!!!

Posts: 213 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carol,

For some reason when I was on antiparasitic herbs and salt/c I gained about 15-20lbs. I eventually lost it as I got rid of the parasites.

Can't explain why this happened except to say that it was due to the parasites. Weight gain/loss is on the symptom list for parasites.

If you are not dumping a lot of parasites, it might be a good idea to get a colonic to get rid of the dying and dead parasites.

The question with you is about the water retention which I never had. Are you saying you are retaining more water, or is it just weight gain?

What I would do is go to lymestrategies and pose the same question on their forum. They may be able to answer your question better.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be dangerous for you (heart and kidneys) to do Salt/C while also taking a water pill. Your Dr would likely have a fit if he knew.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carolann2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo

My doctor would not agree with doing the Salt/c period.

I mentioned it to him and he said that it was a waste of time. Plus, he told me that the amount of sea salt that I take is not healthy.

He said that there is no difference between sea salt and regular table salt except for the additives in regular table salt.

The extra minerals in sea salt doesn't amount to much, especially with the pollutions in the waters now.

We had a long discussion about the subject. But as you see, I did it anyway.

I can't do without the water pill. My eyes will swell so badly that I am absolutely scary looking.

So I guess the only alternative is to quit the salt/c?

As I stated before, the doctors says that it is normal.

When I get an appointment with my thyroid doctor, maybe they can help me with the swelling.

Posts: 213 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

I did suggest that she not do salt/c with the water retention, but she said she had that before starting salt/c and decided to do it anyway. Thought just doing antiparasitic herbs to begin with might be a better option for her.

Carol,

does your doctor say why you are retaining water? Don't understand why docs never get to the cause and just treat the symptoms.

The water retention could be and probably is from the Lyme, but to be sure have some tests done for your kidney function.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

glm1111

I think it is both...I know if I skip a day of my water pill, my weight goes up a couple of pounds.

The swelling seems to have gotten a lot worse since I have been doing the salt/c.

I have had steady weight gain for two or three years.

glm1111
Member # 16556

Carol,

Guess we were posting at the same time. Would be a very good idea to stop the salt/c now and switch to the herbs.

Gael

[ 02-22-2013, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: glm1111 ]

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did get puffy and thought I'd put on a few pounds with salt/C. And, I was drinking lots of water.

I'm also pretty thin tho, so didn't think it looked bad.

Being on a prescribed water pill for retention issues in the first place doesn't sound like a good match for salt/C?

Take some days off, see what happens.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Okay, are we talking about hands, feet and eyes getting puffy, or just the stomach? Stomach swelling can happen on abx as well from dieoff. I had stomach swelling, but not anything else.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

It has always been my legs, ankles hands and eyes. Probably some in the face too.

Now it is mainly my eyes. I do plan on going to a doctor to see about the retention and the thyroid.

I just hate to let go of the salt/c because now I know it is working and lately I have felt better overall.

If it were my kidneys, wouldn't I know by some kind of pain? Or not being able to go to the bathroom?

As far as I know it is not my stomach. Or maybe it could be. I am not too familiar with my body since I have gained the weight. I prefer to just hide the weight with clothes and go on....

In the last two or three years I have went from a size 7 to a 12 and very soon to a size 14. I have never been overweight and it is really upsetting.

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

I think I will lay off the salt/c for a couple of days.
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously in this case the weight gain could be related to sodium, and perhaps is working counter to the salt pills, and am hoping you're careful with this, Carol. There are other methods to get at parasites.

I do just want to add, though, generally, for those gaining weight when they treat parasites, remember that killing parasites does free up heavy metals which perpetuates yeast/fungus growth, which does result in weight gain for some people. So, remember, when you treat parasites, you are making a metal/fungal mess that you need to take seriously, and change in weight in an unhealthy direction could be a sign that you are not addressing this adequately.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelTampa:

Obviously in this case the weight gain could be related to sodium, and perhaps is working counter to the salt pills, and am hoping you're careful with this, Carol. There are other methods to get at parasites.

-
Exactly my concern.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people who get ankle and foot swelling. I'm not sure if it's from lyme or the thyroid, but this happens to some people with lyme. Maybe your body is overloaded, so it's responding by swelling.

I agree with Michael, there are other ways to kill parasites. He's right, killing parasites also requires a binder to mop up all the mess too, otherwise all of the metals and toxins sit in your body and create more yeast.

Lyme and parasites release toxins in their poop. So even if you're not treating parasites, the toxins still make us feel bad. Maybe the toxins are causing your water retention.

Gael's suggestion of colonics or even coffee enemas sound good to help clean out the body.

Chlorella, or some food grade DE sounds like a good option rather than the salt/c (inexpensive). It will help bind and move the toxins. Check out the PARASITE WARRIORS THREAD.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carolann

Another resource you might want to check out is the Yahoo group Lyme Strategies. That forum is dedicated to the Salt/C protocol.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lymestrategies/

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Carol,

Since the swelling is getting worse and in your hands and feet, it is a cause for concern especially since you had it before the salt/c and is getting worse with the added salt.

Have you considered doing a colonic or enema to release some dying parasites and toxins?

Your colon just might be too full and the excess fluid is going to your extremeties. The old cliche "Disease starts in the colon" is so true.

Are you drinking it or taking capsules? What kind of salt are you using? Sorry for all the questions.

I really wish you would post the same concern on lymestrategies to see if they have any insight. Good point from Michael as far as getting rid of parasites, yeast etc.

BTW, I went from a size 2 to 12 while killing parasites and now am back to a 5-7, so don't fret.

At any rate, stopping the salt/c for now would be a good idea. You can always go back to it later when you figure out what's causing the swelling.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

glm111

I am taking Himalayan crystal salt capsules (1000 mg each capsule) with vitamin c AdvanC capsules. (1000 mg each) and I was up to taking them 4 times a day.

When I took them, I would drink two 8 ounce glasses of water, eat a couple of Murray's sugarless shortbread cookies, wait a couple of minutes and drink two more 8 ounce glasses of water.

I posted the other day that it was finally doing some good. I did feel a little more energetic.

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Oh yeah, I meant to add

I have some Parastroy ordered. It could come in tomorrow. I think I will hold off of the salt/c for a little bit anyway.

My husband is undergoing a bunch of tests right now. He is a three time survivor of cancer. He has an enlarged spleen and we are a little worried.

I didn't want to get caught up in doctors appt's for myself until we found out more about his situation.

So as soon as I can, I am going to go to a doctor to get my Lyme blood tests done. One that will not mind sending them to Igenex.

Also I want to go to a thyroid doctor. I really believe my hormones and thyroid are a problem. I know about 20 years ago I had a full hysterectomy.

That is why I am on the water pills. The dr said I would need them.

I took hormones for awhile, but they didn't agree with me so I quit. There were no major problems after I quit, but there may be some probs now.

And....if I do have Lyme as I suspect, I have read that it affects your thyroid system.

So it is a circle of problems. The Lyme could be at the root of it all...that is what I aim to find out.

I do have an appointment Apr. 9th with Dr. C (LLMD).

Someone from these posts suggested me taking the salt/c and getting a head start by getting rid of parasites. So that is what I did.

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

glm111

Right now the swelling is bad in my eyes. They go down some with the water pills. But until they go down, I look hideous!!!!!

I wish I could take a pic of them and post them. But it would scare everyone!!!!!

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For whatever it may be worth ...

I would knock off the Salt, immediately.
You know you have a water retention problem:
you don't want to invite heart failure. (Please note: YOUR DOCTOR advised AGAINST this salt C protocol - he knows you best!)

Further, FOUR GRAMS of salt seems like a LOT to start (to me)! Anyone who has first-hand knowledge with this protocol want to comment?

As for the steady weight gain over the past few years - could be menopausal - or could be something else. I know you said you had a hysterectomy years ago, but took HRT for a while, then quit. The longer you go without any hormonal support, the more likely you will suffer the same menopausal symptoms as are typical for every woman who goes through "natural" menopause. Weight gain is very, very typical. (I went from a size 8 to a 12 in less than 2 years - without ANY change in diet or exercise! It was maddening!!)

Point being, your long term post-hysterectomy history might very well have something to do with your water retention. And LYME is well known to mess with a woman's hormones even during her fertile years! (Exacerbated monthly bloat, pain, depression and irregular menses.)

You may have adrenal exhaustion - you may have thyroid issues - and certainly EMOTIONAL STRESS as well as LYME can exacerbate these conditions. Or you may have an electrolyte imbalance (Potassium/magnesium/calcium) and might benefit from taking supplements and vitamins. Or perhaps some bio-identical hormone therapy (very different from the old HRT) would help you feel more like your youthful self.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, and I will lift him in faith, that the Lord intends for him to share many more years with you.

He needs you right now, and I get the feeling that you were only trying your best to BE your best, for him. But perhaps it would be best that you not take any unnecessary chances with your own health right now... for both of you.

I wish you only the best.

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

AuntyLynn,

Four Grams is WAY TOO HIGH to start with and repeatedly suggest to anyone starting this protocol to start with only 1/4tsp a day. In pms to Carol, I really didn't think salt/c was a good idea for someone on water pills who had water retention problems.

I thought antiparasitic herbs or pharmas would be a better option, however Carol decided to proceed with salt/c.

Everyone has to ultimately take responsibility and make their own decisions when it comes to healing modalities. Not trying to put blame on Carol for wanting to get well, so hope this is not taken this way.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that advice Gael.
Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

I started out with two doses a day, the first week. I felt fine, no problems.

The second week I started out three doses a day.
Still felt fine. In fact, as I said before, I felt I had a tad bit more energy.

The third week I started out with four doses a day. I still feel fine. This is the first day that I haven't taken the salt/c.

Monday, Feb. 25th would begin my fourth week.

I did start out slow. I purchased the ebook and I thought that I was following his protocol.

The Ebook said that unless you felt any kind of discomfort to continue on and that is what I did.

The only thing that I have ever felt while doing the salt/c was maybe a trace of rumbling in the stomach and a lot of gas.

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

I was also going to say, that I was going to read about the herxes. I don't think I have ever experienced any herxes at all.

I know the ebook said that I would probably experience the first herxes after the fourth week and I was going to prepare for them by reading all the posts on herxes.

Concerning the water pills, they are very low dosage. I did read what the posts said about the water pills.

I quit taking them the first week I started the salt/c. But just like before taking the salt/c, my eyes began to swell.

I took the water pills every other day.

My doctor did not absolutely advise me not to do the salt/c. I printed out the ebook and showed it to him. He read a little and then he laughed.

He told me that it was a waste of time. He did say that his opionion was that taking that much salt was dangerous.

He said the only difference between table salt and sea salt was location. Table salt was mined.

He also said that the author of the book has made a lot of money selling it.

So between what I have read, of course the ebook, these posts, many articles on the web and taking into consideration what my doctor said, I thought it was well worth it to try the salt/c.

Still, in my opinion, it was doing me some good. Except of course the swelling of my eyes. The water pill taken every other day was helping, but it is getting worse.

After reading these posts and reading some other sites, I have stopped taking the salt/c. I have ordered the Parastroy and it should be here tomorrow.

After I find out more about what is causing the swelling and remedy it, I will start the salt/c again.

I am convinced that it was doing some good, but I also believe that it still had an enormous way to go.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Your doc is not exactly correct on the salt issue.

Most table salt is iodized
Most sea salt is not.

Iodine is a big problem for my thyroid, and although sea salt has some natural iodine, the table salt is "pumped" way beyond what nature might provide. I gravitated towards sea salt, before I knew I had thyroid issues, many years ago. (Go figure.)

I hope you will find solutions that will work well for you Carolann. Good Luck!

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Thanks AuntyLynn.

I had read on some of these posts, I was trying to find it...that some people claimed that using sea salt and vitamin c was like taking a durietic. I think I was kind of hoping it would work that way for me too.

glm1111
Member # 16556

carolann,

Your intuition is correct as far as the salt/c being helpful. I found it to be a very powerful adjunct in helping me get rid of Lyme.

Just wondering what kind of feedback you might get from posting on lymestrategies as far as water retention goes and what may be causing it.

You might get some valuable insight as to how to proceed. I also agree with AuntyLynn about table salt being a lot different then sea salt.

As far as your ramping up, you may have felt fine, but because the swelling was getting worse would be a reason to hold at that point.

I truly hope you can resolve this dilemma as the salt/c protocol can be invaluable towards healing Lyme and co. The best to you and keep us posted.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, carolann. I also started the salt c around the same time as you and ramped up slowly, the way you did. I did not feel any herxing except perhaps a little fatigue at first with some rumbling as well. On those days I stayed at the same dosage.

The salt c seemed to cause my rosacea (hadn't had outbreak in years) to return with a vengeance. I decided to take a break for a little while and I am now back on salt c at 3 g of both per day.

My face is red at times - but not as bad as before. Maybe it was too much of a shock to my system. I am noticing a red mottled rash on other body parts since being on salt c as well. It must be doing something!

I hope you will eventually be able to go back on. Have you tried mangosteen juice? Robin123 often posts about how much it has helped her eye issues related to lyme. Just a thought.

Another thought is to try using some herbal teas as diuretics instead of water pill - if you think this is safe... See below:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/138178-which-herbal-teas-are-diuretic/

Maybe your body could handle taking some of these teas along with the salt c instead of the water pills. I would say to discuss with your MD, but he doesn't sound like he appreciates the holistic route...

Good luck!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Carolann -

Vitamin C alone IS a natural diuretic! But when you add salt to the mix, that's quite a different story.

Another thing about table salt ... it is not JUST salt - about half of it is "anti-caking" agent, such as SILICA.

This is added to keep the salt free flowing, and can amount to about half of the product!

I just noticed a box of Morton that also has "dextrose" added... which is sugar!

Just an example of how treating this disease can get a lot more complicated than one might imagine, but I wish you every success.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I've heard that regular table salt can DEPLETE the body of minerals. I haven't used table salt in my house in years. I run into trouble when eating out though!

Carolann.. I hope things turn out OK for your husband. Take care of yourself so you can help him.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Thank all! Lots of information to be gotten here.
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salt can interact with some hormones and cause lot of water retention/swelling.

For example, salt can cause very bad swelling if you're on birth control pills. Some docs recommend a low-salt diet. I don't know if you're on any hormone therapy, but it's something to consider as a factor playing into swelling if you're consuming a lot of salt.

Salt can also effect blood pressure. I had a friend who had very low energy and low blood pressure. The doc told her to have more salt to increase her energy and blood pressure.

My blood pressure goes sky high with too much salt. Be sure to monitor your blood pressure while doing this treatment.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potassium can offset the water retention issues with high sodium intake. Food sources of potassium include most all fruits & veggies, but Avocados are an excellent source and don't feed yeast, and avocados have healthy fats and vitamin E (antioxidant) in them too.

Sometimes potassium supplements can trigger heart rhythm problems, so need to be careful if you use a supplement.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

I do take potassium supplements but with the salt/c, I am eating 75% vegetables and fruits.

This is my second full day off of the salt/c. Waiting for the Parastroy to come in. Thought it would come in today.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement