LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dementia and Lyme disease - looking for past article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dementia and Lyme disease - looking for past article
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just learned of a woman in my community whose young husband (in 50's) has had a cognitive decline. He is declining relatively quickly and his wife is now his caregiver.

I remember reading an article about a man who had a similar decline and it turned out to be lyme disease. When he was treated with IV ABX, he started to improve and his dementia reversed.

I have looked through all of my bookmarks and have been unable to locate this article. Does anyone know which one I am referring to?

I have given this man's wife information on IgeneX testing and symptoms of lyme, etc. - but I thought the article would really inspire her.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link to a PubMed abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7580195

If that's not what you were looking for, then here are the results of a Google search for "dementia + Lyme":
http://tinyurl.com/aako9zw

You might also try searching for "Lyme + Alzheimer's":
http://tinyurl.com/aa9xmdr

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this TX Lyme Mom. Unfortunately, the article I was trying to find is not found in the threads you offered. It is an article about a man (I think he might have lived in Maine - or New England). He was thought to have dementia or Alzheimer's disease but he was very young for this.

It turned out that after seeing MD after MD, his wife somehow learned that he had lyme disease. He was given IV antibiotics and he made an incredible recovery.

I was hoping to find something to motivate this woman to keep searching for answers and to not give up on dx of lyme disease. I will keep searching and if I find it, I will post it here.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dpei -

Perhaps you are thinking of Ray Kehrhahn of Connecticut? He was described as "near catatonic" until friends encouraged him to be tested for Lyme. He eventually went to Columbia University for treatment, (presumably to see our ILADS psych hero, Dr. F) and 9 mos. later ...

CT Triathlete cured of 22 year Lyme infection
http://www.countytimes.com/articles/2012/06/25/life/doc4fe24326b44bc141496300.txt?viewmode=default

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Research Alliance apparently honored Ray in October:

http://lymeresearchalliance.org/index_month_Oct.html

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Thank you Aunty Lynn!! This is the article I was looking for!
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Hope it helps.
dbpei
Member # 33574

Well... in looking over this article - it did not mention dementia. It must have been a different article about a different person that I recall reading about. Thanks anyhow! This is very inspirational just the same.

The article I am trying to locate mentioned a husband and wife, who worked very hard to get to the bottom of his illness. His cognitive decline was very troubling. Lyme diagnosis and treatment turned him around. I will keep looking. If anyone finds it, please post here!

Thanks again, Aunty Lynn. I remembered reading about Ray last fall. I think the article that I am looking for came out sometime in early 2012.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

It did describe him as "near catatonic" and that he had to quit his Professorship at UCONN and go on disability.

Eight mos on IV seems a small price to pay to get your life back. Can't wait to read his book.

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered about Alan MacDonald from UOS.

Since the film, I heard he had alzheimer's and then got well and is fine today.

Anyone know what treatment he had?

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement