LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doxy reformulation and/or shortage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doxy reformulation and/or shortage?
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister went to the pharmacy to get her doxy and was told that the only available drug is a reformulated doxy and it is much more expensive.

Anyone else have problems getting the good old generic doxy?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's supposed to be easier on the stomach. Maybe they are just pushing it because they get more way more money for it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of doxy on the east coast. Our daugher just started on doryx which is a time release doxy.

This is much more expensive than doxy and not covered by our insurance.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just was reading about the doxy and tetracycline shortage.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/doxycyclineShortage.htm

Some people on facebook were saying they just paid $298 for a month supply.

Need to look at my vet bill from yesterday and see what they charged me for what I got- noticed this morning they only gave me 15 days worth for my dog.

But I always have some stockpiled just in case because doxy is all I can take anymore. Last year when I didn't have insurance and almost died before they would give me any for a five month long staph infection, I figured out how you can get it OTC.

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about it at the beginning of the month:

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/doxycycline-shortage.html

I've taken Doryx in the past and it is easier on the stomach.. but yes, more expensive...

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses.

I took doryx and monodox for awhile but as you guys pointed out it is expensive and my insurance would not cover it. I eventually went back to the good old generic but according to my sisters pharmacy that is no longer available. I find that hard to believe. If all but the long acting has been taken off the market then the insurance company will likely pay for it but at a higher co-pay.

Daynise - I looked on-line at the vet doxy when my sister mentioned her problem and it seemed pretty cheap. [Smile]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is apparently an issue in getting the ingredients, so vet, human, all others are going to be affected presumably.

Ridiculous when a country like ours has drug shortages that seem third world problems.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polkahero
Member # 37841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polkahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, shortage is due to "increased demand and manufacturing delays". So that many more teens are taking this for acne now, or is this being prescribed more for a different medical condition? Hint, hint. . .
Posts: 35 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hmmm. shortage, IMO, is due to the previously relatively low cost of antibiotics (relative to OTHER drugs, still not low relative to patients' bank accounts, though). The pharmaceutical companies just want a bigger slice of this pie.

How hard can it be to really make this stuff, anyway? A shortage? It's not like it has to grow out in unpredictable weather. No croughts, no floods, no freezing temps . . . and no crop failures are involved.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if teens are really getting it for acne anymore-

It is extremely difficult to get antibiotics out of pediatric doctors-
very difficult!

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Home > Drug Shortages > Current Shortages > BulletinPrint Share Doxycycline Capsules and Tablets
[14 February 2013]

Products Affected - Description

http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Current/bulletin.aspx?id=977

jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacy called and said they couldn't refill my Doxy Tablets - but they do have capsules at the moment. They are contacting my dr to see if these are okay for me to take.

Will the capsules work differently then the tablets? Are they going to tear up my tummy worse?

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacy called and said they couldn't refill my Doxy Tablets - but they do have capsules at the moment. They are contacting my dr to see if these are okay for me to take.

Will the capsules work differently then the tablets? Are they going to tear up my tummy worse?

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat1777
Member # 39231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kat1777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, I was just put on this today. I had no problems filling the script, but I'm concerned about refills. My doctor expects me to be on it for six months. I do NOT want to have to switch mid-treatment. Does anyone know how long this shortage is supposed to last?
Posts: 90 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure of any fillers in alternate brands, generics. Be sure all meds are gluten-free.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there is a "shortage". I could not get Tetracycline filled at three different pharm.s

LLMD office said no one has it/shortage.

I WAS able to get it from Infuserve but it cost $1.05 per pill. They had to special order it and had it to me in 3 days.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Refilled mine today. This is an Rx from my eye doctor for dry eyes.

Doxy Hyclate Caps 100 mg
90 for three months

Last refill w/o insurance $4.00
Prior refill with insurance $10 - or $15

This refill with insurance $30.
Says my "insurance benefit saved me $268.19".

So that would be $300 for 90 of the 100 mg caps.

That is over $3.00 per capsule. ?! Geez.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement