LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how long on rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long on rifampin
didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all
I am currently taking zith and working my way up to 600mg rifampin. Once up to dose, how long typically do people stay on this protocol? And, once initial herxing is done, do you continue to herx at times, throughout, what? Just wondering what to expect. Thanks for your advice

Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that you need to be on rifampin for at least 4 months to treat bart. I herxed steadily and felt toxic while on this med. But the herxing was never unbearable.

I just felt like I had a mild case of the flu and lost my appetite. Achy bones and joints, sad mood with tears at times, fatigue... I was also taking doxy and often wondered which med made me more miserable.

About 4 months into it, I started drinking licorice tea and gradually started feeling better. I soon changed to babesia treatment and felt much better when I switched meds. Still not sure if the licorice tea had anything to do with my feeling better, but I think it definitely helped. Good luck.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt awful the entire time I was on it and had to go off it. Severe muscle and joint pain, depression. I was on it about 2 months and will not take it again. Part of the problem with rifampin is it messes with all your other meds.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin has helped me alot. I haven't been waking up with the buzzing/shivering inside feeling, and I don't wake up feeling hungover anymore. I have been on it along with zithromax for 5 months, and my doc is stopping it. I'm not happy, because I don't want those old symptoms coming back.

Thinking of trying houttuynia, banderol, and coumanda as a followup.

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all! amk-I can only dream of waking up without that hungover, full head feeling. Do you remember how long it took you to feel results? I am only at half dose so far, along with zith, and having some good moments. Praying this will help me turn the corner.
Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember with our daughter, we saw positive changes around 8 weeks.

She was only on 1/2 dose until about 8 weeks and then went to full dose.

It may be sooner for you. Daughter was on another med at same time and having problems, so once that other med was stopped we started to see 'the storm pass."

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have issues with rifampin and have been on it 6 months. I don't have hard herxing, just continually getting better.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didogs, I replied to your PM. I didn't remember that you posted that you started the rifampin already. Great! Good luck with it! I wish that I could get some more, without paying $1000 to go to an LLMD.

BTW, my son has also seen results with it. He has no symptoms other than the bart streaks. But, they have gotten noticeably lighter while on rifampin, so I'm so upset that the doc is stopping it. He didn't have a positive bart test, and the insurance company questioned her about his treatment. So, now she is afraid of the medical board, and has stopped both of us. [Frown] I hate insurance companies!!!

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it 16 months and made alot of progress.
Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement