LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sudden Visual Changes - Scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sudden Visual Changes - Scared
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a break from the computer to get my tea and take my supplements and when I got back on the computer, I could not focus. Now I can focus better, but I am seeing these fluttering swirly movements in the right corner of my only good eye.

I am calling my eye doctor as soon as her office opens to see if she can squeeze me in today. What could this be?

After this happened, I decided to drink a glass of mangosteen juice. When I started writing, there was like a rapidly moving ferris wheel fluttering vision that I could see on the right side of my field of vision in my right eye.

That sensation has now gone! Could the mangosteen juice have worked so quickly within minutes? This fluttering, visual disturbance lasted about 15 minutes. Has this ever happened to any of you?

I am definitely going to see my eye doctor after this experience. Lyme has already taken my hearing from me. I can't lose my vision as well.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you are having such scary symptoms.

Have heart, my eyes were changing and scared me to death.

I went to the eye doctor and guess what? My left eye improved 2 levels of strength.

Until you know, please don't go there until you really know.

I now wear just one contact and can see very well.

Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello dbpei,

I am sorry to hear about your sudden eye issue. Vision issues can certainly be scary. Personally, I have experienced multiple issues with my eyes over the years that I can attribute to the tbd. And- I've had at least a handful of events as the one you describe. These strange annoyances in my peripheral field of vision have fortunately never persisted, but they are worrisome none the less.

Because of the known issues with your ears, I think that it is a very wise idea of yours to see your eye doctor. I saw a very well educated/respected Ophthalmologist years ago, and was very comforted by the fact that I did. Because of my eyes sensitivity (chronic giant papillary conjunctivitis...an allergic, not viral, condition) and my myopia that I've developed since the tbd's took hold, I am now prohibited from wearing contact lenses. It's a royal pain for me to have to wear my glasses...but, I'd far rather wear them, than cause further issues/damage to my eyes. Had I not followed my hunch and saw my eye doctor, I would have been none the wiser and been potentially putting my eyes at risk every time I plopped in my daily disposable contact lenses.

As your vision returned to normal so quickly that is very encouraging. However, why take any chances with these potent diseases, right?

Be well, friend, and please keep us (well, me anyways,) posted!

-Lymebulldog

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your encouraging words and also good advice! I will not wear my contacts when I drive to the MD today. I did get an appointment later this morning, for which I am so grateful. I will let you know what I find out, if anything.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter has had many trips to the eye Dr.

She has Lyme and Co. Back in 2011, she had a hard time seeing and said her eyes felt sore. She was taking Zith back then.

Her eye Dr. saw her very quickly and found nothing wrong.

Throughout this entire journey, she has days when her vision is blurry, grainy, black spots etc. It is such a worry.

I do not have much to add,just hope all goes well for you.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on day 11 of pain in my left eye. I've been to PC and eye doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong. It is amazing to me that we can be in severe pain and/or have severe vision problems and nothing is found wrong. Good luck!

You are the second person though that has mentioned mangosteen juice helping this type of issue. I'm going to have to pick some up!!!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had vitreous separations in both eyes, as a result of lyme.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dpbei,

I am assuming you are still taking salt/c or other antiparasitics? I had many visual changes when attacking parasites as these critters can invade the eyes and the salt/c was hitting them. This has almost gone away completely and my vision is much better.

The eye doc will probably not find anything. I am have been to the famed Wills Eye hospital right here in Philly and they never found anything wrong with my eyes.

If you have any "Grit" emerging from your tear ducts, this is a good thing and a sign that the infection is emerging. By all means have your eyes checked. Let us know what the doc says.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is called an ocular migraine. It generally lasts for 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I describe it as kaleidoscopic vision. But, a ferris wheel is a good description too.

I get these all of the time. But do not get the migraine. It is very hard to see or read with these and it makes me feel kind of dizzy; http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

lOOK AT THE IMAGE ON THE ARTICLE PAGE- IS THIS THE PATTERN THAT YOU ARE SEEING OR SIMILAR?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
munchin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for munchin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get ocular migraines that I can describe as shimmering in my peripheral vision. Usually in one eye only and lasting exactly 20 mins. No pain but poor vision

Reminds me of swimming under water with yours eyes open.

Posts: 137 | From New england | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I also have this once in a great while...it's an ocular migraine and seems to be around my cycle when hormones are fluctuating. Sometimes extra stress and fatigue can also bring one on. It lasts for about 20 minutes. It goes away a little quicker if I can lay down and close my eyes for about half an hour. Sometimes I have a headache afterward, but not anything unbearable.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to suffer from chronic flashing lights in my peripheral vision.

Chiari Malformation+Lyme+Co.'s + Chronic Mold Exposure+MCS caused mine.

Many things, such as computer work, could set my visual problems off. Yes, they present as occular migraines but certainly check with your eye doc to ensure nothing else going on.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a vitreous detachment, not to be confused with a retinal detachment. A vitreous detachment is a normal aging condition of the eye . As we age the vitreous will move away from the retina. This can cause visual disturbances in your peripheral vision. The other possibility is ocular migraine as someone mentioned above.

Best to check it out to be sure!

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Thanks everyone. [Smile] My ophthalmologist calls what I had an ophthalmic migraine - probably the same thing as an occular migraine. She actually gets them herself and she said my description was very accurate for what she experiences, only hers are in color.

She knows that I have lyme disease now - and seemed to know that it is no fun trying to get rid of it once it has been in your system a while.

I haven't been able to recall any new foods or triggers that would have brought this on. Fortunately, I did not suffer a bad head ache afterwards.

I got a complete exam, testing for retinal detachment, glaucoma, cataracts, the works. And everything tested A-okay, except I need a stronger prescription for glasses.

I am relieved, but also on the alert, knowing full well that this is very likely related to lyme inflammation.

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dbpei, you asked whether changes from drinking mangosteen juice could happen in minutes, and for me, the answer was yes!

Within an hour of starting on mangosteen juice for my Lyme eye symptoms, my eye muscle pain and blurred focus were diminishing. Within 24 hours, no more floaters and light sensitivity! I'd call that a very fast response!

So what's going on? I understand that inflammation creates free radicals that damage our tissues. The mangosteen fruit rind has 43 xanthone compounds in it that scarf up the free radicals.

The rind is ground up and either sold pure, as Xango, or mixed with juice blends you can find at the healthfood store. I like Mango-xan because it's the most tart - ie, least sugar for the juice blends.

Btw, I also passed all the opthalmologist's tests before I started drinking mangosteen juice the next day.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin123....

How much mangosteeen juice do you drink? Do you drink it on a daily basis?

My vision has been blurry, off and on, for months.

Thanks!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Occular Migraine - your description describes this very well. I have had them for about 20 yrs! I do get the migraine headache with them also.

I use Lavender Oil as soon as the symptoms start and they end within 15 mins with only a small headache remaining.

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

I have some lavender oil here. I will try to remember to use it if this happens again. I definitely want to have mangosteen juice on hand too. I swear that really made a difference.

feelfit, that was an interesting website and the photo was very similar to my field of vision before the fluttering movement began. So strange!

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RZR, yes, I drink mangosteen juice daily, probably like a 1/2 ounce in the am and pm. It also keeps my intestines regular, like a baby's. I recall when I first started it, my gums also stopped bleeding. It can be a very powerful anti-inflam drink.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrslar
Member # 35044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrslar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get mangosteen juice. Does anyone know if it can cause an ill reaction if someone is on so many supplements too?
Posts: 8 | From Muncy, PA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

I get mine at Whole Foods - Genesis brand. I know some order online (Xango) through Amazon. It is pricey, but I believe it really helps. I have not heard of it causing a herx or ill reaction. You only need a small amount for it to help you.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement