LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » magnesium and calcium so confusing!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: magnesium and calcium so confusing!!
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased some magnesium this is the one I bought
http://m.vitacost.com/doctors-best-high-absorption-100-chelated-magnesium-240-tablets-1

Since starting it I have actually been experiencing Charlie horses in my calf's. It has helped the twitching in my face slightly but not a lot. I'm wondering if this is not the best type of magnesium to take. I bought it because is said it was so well absorbed. I have used the mag tabs St recommended by Dr B in the past, but I would need to take 4 at a time in order to get to the amount I need.

My LLNP said to try magnesium taurate. Is anyone familiar with that type?

Also I'm confused do I need calcium to absorb magnesium????Should I be taking calcium as well??

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it mag oxide, or what?? I can't tell.

Mag taurate is supposed to be good. I take Mag glycinate... and I'm also going to be taking Mag Tab SR soon.

Supposedly, you are to take twice the calcium to magnesium... BUT... an expert I listened to last week says it's the other way around!!

2 to 1 mag ! .. and you need D3 to absorb magnesium

www.drcarolyndean.com

CALM is supposed to be easy to absorb.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You do not say, however, If you avoid meat, fish and eggs, you must supplement with some form of Taurine. Just in case that's why the suggestion.

Otherwise, Taurine has some fabulous benefits and works very well with magnesium, making the magnesium even better.

I can't look at the link now to answer your other question, though, sorry. Hope this at least clears up one. You might also search TAURINE to learn more about why it's so helpful to the nervous system.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told to take magnesium malate for it's absorption rate. I use source naturals brand.

My husband gets those charlie horses in his calf if he doesn't use this brand of magnesium.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot.. you need B6 to absorb it... D3 is good with mag and calc for the bones.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate???
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Glycinate is supposed to be good. Never heard of lysinate..

I buy the KAL brand from Vitacost.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Wondering why I would feel worse on it....more Charlie horses
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's weird. I know one time I was having cramps in my feet and hands. Someone told me I was lacking in minerals. I bought NOW multi-minerals and that ended the cramping.

Maybe it threw your other minerals off??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellen101
Member # 35432

So tired of trying to figure this all out...just when you get one thing fixed its another. So many differing opinions make it confusing as well.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

For sure!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pug7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told to separate calcium and magnesium by 2 hours because they compete for absorption.
Posts: 108 | From US | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to confuse more, but being low in potassium can also affect muscles.

Here are foods high in potassium: white beans, dark leafy greens, avocado, dried apricots and bananas.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I 2nd potassium connection. I worked with someone once who was crippled by low potassium, when they called the dr. Cause he couldn't walk. The dr. Said to eat a spoon of peanut butter(high in potassium). His calf/ thigh relaxed and they went to the hospital where he was dxd with a severe potassium deficiency.

I hear your frustration. I am beginning to think if all these supps are actually making things worse. My joints and muscles felt better when I had the flu...besides the fever the only thing different, was I didn't take anything. I know a lot people (healthy people) feel you should take a day or two break a week from all supps.

Frustration aside, I have done very well on Jarrow Magnesium Optimizer. It has magnesium, tourine and potassium... I don't take it every day just when I feel muscle pain again. And sometimes to aid in sleep.

But I too remember when I was taking it more often... I would sometimes hurt more... Almost a burning. I say listen to your body if something make you feel worse stop taking it.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I've been low in potassium from time to time. Not good for the HEART!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends on the person which brand is best... I've taken Magnesium for the last 5 years and recently switched to Source Naturals Mg Malate thinking it would be good, even taking it with B6 and it did not work for me. My palpitations, muscle tightness, etc. came back and after two weeks I couldn't take it anymore and was starting to feel anxious...

I'm about to try the CALM, or something similar. Perhaps something liquid. A friend of mine used to take liquid Mag. Oxide (prescription) under the tongue and really loved it. She had to use a syringe to get it out the bottle.

Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lymetoo about the increase in Magnesium because I listened to the same lecture... If you're deficient in magnesium it's going to lower your calcium, so best to get your magnesium, first.
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLNP recommends taking Mag taurate. I was taking 300 mg/day and doubled it last Friday. My muscle twitching and a few other neuro symptoms (buzzing, pins/needles) have deceased just in the last few days. It makes me hopeful that my muscle twitching is due to a Mg deficiency more than lyme, so fingers crossed. Time will tell.

I used to take Calm but did not like the taste. So now, I take Magnesium taurate 400 by Douglas Laboratories. The pills are huge, but otherwise it seems to be doing the trick. Good luck to you!

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

HUGE huge or just huge? [Smile]
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by girl:

I agree with Lymetoo about the increase in Magnesium because I listened to the same lecture... If you're deficient in magnesium it's going to lower your calcium, so best to get your magnesium, first.

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Here's a new one on me...

Liquid Ionic Minerals at Goodstate.com

I was unable to bring the link here.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement