LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » almond butter-is there a brand i can get online that has only almonds, water and salt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: almond butter-is there a brand i can get online that has only almonds, water and salt
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was so mad when my order came from vita cost and my almond butter had sugar in it.

im also not so sure about the gluten free products. they are very processed-some of them anyway-and i hate it when they have all those long words you cant pronounce

in general i really think for me "whole foods" is the way to go...it takes a lot of work to do that for me...but i feel better...not so weak

anyway almond butter is a staple for me...but i dont want the sugar!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See http://www.nuts.com/search?q=almond+butter

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Many natural foods markets have a machine where you can grind your peanuts in one machine or your own almonds in another. Nothing added then and you know you get real raw almonds.

For our heart and blood vessel health, it's best to NEVER buy any nut butter from roasted nuts as, when roasted, they nut oil can get rancid within minutes and that can be very damaging to the inside of our blood vessels.

Same reason, buy only RAW nuts, fresh. At home, a serving can be roasted in the oven or toasted in a skillet just before enjoying. Do not do a bunch, only what will be consumed right away.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are several brands of almond butter with nothing added. The trick is to stir it well when you open it, before putting in fridge.

Even room temperature, it can be very hard to stir.

Once it gets cold, it's impossible to stir.

Still, if you can grind your own at the store, that's best because it's much fresher and it won't separate. Once home, put in fridge.

If you can, take a clean glass jar. Weigh the jar at the store before adding the almond butter. If you put in their own plastic container, transfer to glass once you get home and put in fridge then.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amazon.com/RAW-ORGANIC-ALMOND-BUTTER-16/dp/B000WW2M8Y

Pretty expensive... Google "organic almond butter" .. I think there are more than just this one.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks keeb but i really cant get to stores now...so am switching to ordering as much as possible

thanks for other links

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

ohhh...pricey, huh? almond flour looks good...

--------------------

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make my own almond butter and it is SO easy. I buy raw almonds at Sam's. I use my food processor. Just put the almonds in, add some coconut oil and mineral salt, and process until you have butter. You will have to stir it several times because it sticks to the sides. I guess it takes about five minutes to process. It's the best!!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you kids!

--------------------

TellicoRiver
Member # 45846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TellicoRiver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is everyone eating Almond Butter?
Posts: 5 | From Tennesse | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley Nut and Fruit
Handmade Nut Butters
http://www.valleynut.com/items/handmade-nut-butters/list.htm

I ordered almond butter from this place several years ago.
Delicious!

I still think I made a mistake by not ordering one of their Caramel Pecan Logs.

You do best on the shipping cost when you order 10 pounds of stuff.
"We ship up to 10 pounds of most of our items for $9.95, including cases of nut butters."

Tellico River, almonds are an excellent source of magnesium.
Magnesium relieves many Lyme symptoms.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is really important to soak your raw nuts before eating or processing, as this removes substances that are very difficult on the gut/digestion.

Here's a link to an instructional video:

Raw Nuts Done Right: A video on healthy preparation of nuts and nut butters for best digestion and nutrition:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/video-raw-nuts-done-right/

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Almond butter replaces peanut butter cuz peanuts have mold and+or yeast

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SOME Almond butter, though, is not as healthy as we might think. It's been heated to very high temperatures - or has added chemical in processing.

That's the law, now. For stupid reasons & there could have been better ways to solve the "problem" but they did not choose those.

Only RAW nuts are important as when they get heated, the oils can turn against us and hurt the inside of our blood vessels. This is why for roasted or toasted nuts, only right before enjoying would be the time to heat them, so they are fresh. Old oils that have been heated pose an oxidation threat.

This article grabbed my attention just yesterday.

There is ONE supplier in this article who does not do that, though:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-what-does-raw-mean-when-it-comes-to-almonds-you-might-be-surprised/

What Does 'Raw' Mean? When It Comes To Almonds, You Might Be Surprised

by Lesley McClurg NPR | May 19, 2015

When you’re talking about almonds, “raw” may not mean what you think.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There are many other kinds of nuts that are delicious as nut butters, too.

Artisana makes a wonderful PECAN-CASHEW butter.
-

lpkayak
Member # 5230

So depressing. Like not knowing what is gmo and organic not really being organic and forget about growing your own cuz air, rai and soil are polluted...

I want to go live on the Galapagos where things are clean and healthy and bluefooted.boobies live. Thats where pigwit is. Anyone remember pigwit?

--------------------

JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midsgotlyme, what is the quantity ratios you use?
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try "OnceAgain" brand. They make an excellent USDA Organic almond butter. It used to be labeled as "Raw" but the exact same variant is now labeled as "Lightly Toasted". They even have a large article explaining why on their website. https://www.onceagainnutbutter.com/almond2014

To put it succinctly, it is now a requirement that almonds, even USDA Organic almonds, be pasteurized to stave off food borne illness, after an issue a few years ago with salmonella contamination. Now, USDA Organic almonds use steam pasteurization (as opposed to fumigation with chemical agents ) and in many cases can still be sprouted. Note there is a considerable variation in the temperatures and durations of pasteurization, so those looking for the closest thing to the "raw" experience would be advised to go with USDA Organic first of all and if possible those who are labeled as "sprouted/able to be sprouted".

Likewise, in the creation of almond butters, "Raw" was a term that, much like "natural" doesn't have a defined meaning (as opposed to say, USDA Organic which has a very specific set of conditions necessary). Since those very same issues with salmonella contamination, many manufacturers use a drying procedure that goes above the 115 degree threshold some raw food enthusiasts feel should be the benchmark for "Raw", yet still label their products "raw". Once Again has chosen instead to label the particular variety "Lightly Toasted" instead, as they feel that it is a more truthful label.

Once Again's USDA Organic, Lightly Toasted Almond Butter (Creamy is my preference. Crunchy may be yours) has some of the best flavor I've found in any major brand, lacking additional oils, sweeteners and the like. Excepting limited sales of local products (ie if you live right next to an organic almond farm that chooses to not pasteurize at all on a part of their crop and sells them directly to you, without shipping etc.), or choosing to grind your own almond butter with the almonds of your choosing, they're likely one of the best options available.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda
Member # 45866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always get my almond butter at whole foods, or a local natural foods grocery.

The worst thing about a lot of the nut butters, is they have palm oil in them. A lot of paleo types love palm oil, but it is literally wiping out orangutang habitat in Indonesia. Illegally sourced palm oil is contaminating even the sustainably sourced supply, because Indonesia is incredibly corrupt.

My top choice is Justin's, they get their palm oil from Brazil and no Orang's were hurt.

My mail order choice would be from livesuperfoods:

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-vegan-foods/nut-butters.html

They have quite a few sales if you get on their email list. They also have a raw sprouted almond butter. They have a few almond butters without sugar.

--------------------
*​Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the earth he does to himself- Chief Seattle, 1854*
BullsEye 2005
Dx Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella, EBV

Posts: 41 | From New England | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement