LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fight or Flight. Adrenaline problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fight or Flight. Adrenaline problem.
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter if I'm watching a game, simple conversation, or even by myself. I think it starts with a stimulus trigger normally. It's been going on since day one of my illness.

Not anxiety. Adrenal problem, I think. My heart rate is normal,Bp is normal, but I feel like I'm going into battle but have no energy to even if I had to.

I have bartonella, but I want to make sure I'm not missing adrenal/thyroid problem. I know somethings going on in thyroid because of very low body temp. I taken free T3 with no effect on body temp.

Anyone know what's going on?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Inner Ear & Adrenals, too, I think. With the toxicity and effects of TBD, of course.

It may be best to change HOW you watch a game - and it may be necessary to just not watch for a while if the sensory overload brings on damage.

Is one station less intense with their coverage?

Can you mute or lower the sound and adjust the brightness of the set? Close your eyes the instant some graphic design blows up in your face?

I can't even watch local or main network evening news programs anymore do to the horrible assault of visual graphics and auditory hits (even if not loud, they "swoop" or beep in ways that are very disturbing).

PBS NewHour is the only news that does not do that. Or certain websites (but most are too attention grabbing).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you are taking some adrenal support (supplements) and thyroid meds plus the T3. You need to know that this won't be fixed quickly.

It takes time, but if you continue with the proper supplements and meds, you can stabilize.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

Vestibular Symptoms

Note that every one can also be due to lyme or other TBD, or adrenal distress. Still, if vestibular symptoms are present, everything should be done to minimize their effects, retrain if possible (which is not always possible if from infection, during infection) - or otherwise compensate or offset.

AVOID ALL FLUORESCENT LIGHTS. Go back to the regular bulbs, even in your kitchen with lamps. So much stress off the inner ear, brain and adrenals when we avoid fluorescents (energy saving) bulbs.

I'm one to help save energy but, for many, it's a matter of health and the new bulbs are causing lots of trouble for some folks with various medical conditons.

Conversation, by the way, is very taxing and even trouble from a simple change in where you look can indicate vestibular involvement.

What can help: GINGER CAPSULES, TAI CHI, etc:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS & SCD - Superior canal dehiscence
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT - Thyroid matters also discussed in the articles and books

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to both of you. I cannot avoid stimuli, except maybe wearing sunglasses inside (ugh). But interactions are inevitable and unavoidable as I have to support treatment financially and deal with the world.

What are the best things I can take for thyroid and adrenal support? Script or not.

I will ask to get back on T3, pull the ginger caps back out, and get back on rhodiola. Anything else I can take that's not a benzo? I need a causative fix, other than my treatment.

Need the best thyroid and adrenal support. Armour thyroid maybe?

I notice it's way worse or way better when I take my pain meds. I'm assuming it's the toxicity of the hydrocodone or ibuprofen.

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Droid,

one thing that has helped me with what you are talking about is Ashwaganda. My spikes are not nearly as bad and the stuff is benign and cheap.

just my two cents.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rhodiola may be too strong (at least alone). Start with any of these ashwagandha, cordyceps, Eleutherococcus senticosus, etc. (or all in a blanaced formula)

See the adrenal links and get the Wilson book.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hydrocodone contains acetaminophen and that blocks glutathine all through the body, including the lungs and the liver. Increases toxicity. And it is toxic to the inner ear system.

Unfortunatley, ibuprofen can be very hard on the kidneys as it constricts blood vessels.

Detail about both here, scroll down:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

I prefer the natural choices over Rx as, often, Rx are so hard on the liver but posts here cover a mix:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Wait, what? Hydrocodone contains acetaminophen? I take vicoprofens and not vocodin for the exact reason I don't want acetaminophen because of the glut inhibitors.

Keebler. I read that link. I've tried everything for pain management...LDN, acupuncture, neurontin, pot, fentyl patches, reiki, daily glutathione injections(cause way too much yeast but sorta work)....nothing works.

Hydrocodone lowers electricity in my brain. I'm on one a day and won't go over that. I hope it doesn't have aceta...I've been taking it for months.

--------------------

droid1226
Member # 34930

I just ordered ashwaganda thanks.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hydrocodone definitely contains acetaminophen. Sorry.

Have you tried Corydalis - or Lithium Orotate?

If you are trying to "lower electricity in your brain" (and, believe me, I know exactly what you mean) . . . Lithium Orotate is where I would turn. It's very neuroprotective in that way.

The hydrocordone can be causing more trouble than it seems from its toxicity (due to it blocking glutathione and that affects the brain, too).

Even a single dose can do damage - see the articles in the Liver Support thread that specifically say even one dose can damage the liver's glutathione abilities.

But its numbing effect can mask the damage.

Other than Corydalis (see pain thread) or Lithium OROTATE, magnesium and taurine also calm the brain and help lower that neuro-excitability problem.

If you happen to be vegan or vegetarian, a taurine deficiency can cause a feeling of "electricity" in the brain. But so can many toxins. Some from foods.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors;
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
T3, alone, can be very excitatory and then drop you like a rock mid day. Be sure it's time released and also with T4.

Cytomel (T3) even when taken with a T4 Rx (probably either synthroid or levoxyl) nearly killed me years ago when it was short acting. I became suicidal everyday at the same time.

It took my ND to figure that out as all the doctors had no clue. When the thyroid and adrenals crashed from the T3 drop, I could just not move or think and it was terribly depressing, mood dropped hard and fast. I was reduced to a lump of tissue, just wherever I happened to be. Could not even move.

I hear that there is a timed released version of Cytomel now or one that is a combination. But I'll never touch any thyroid Rx again, ever. None of them worked well for me, though, in theory, they should have.

Now, NatureThroid works best for me. It's a natural T3 & T4. Huge difference.

While both WestThroid (which makes NatureThroid) and Armour use porcine (pig) thyroid, I am more comfortable with the care of the pigs used for the NatureThroid. At least, the last time I checked, their pigs were better cared for than those others use.

I do not want thyroid from pigs that are at the same lots as most of our nation's food supply. They are treated terribly.

I really would rather have synthetic, actually, due to the pig situation but, for some reason, my body just can't handle the synthetic thyroid meds and I do feel better with the NatureThroid.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.nature-throid.com/

Nature-Throid

Most naturopathic doctors know about this, however, any doctor can order this.
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

I def don't put anything else bad in my body. Aspartame, coffee, sugar, gluten...But thanks. Naturethroid sounds good I will get some. Along with taurine, which I should have for energy anyway.

I just called my dr. who has me on vicoprofins and he said it doesn't have aceta..only vicodin does....Idk

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Vicoprofen (hydrocodone and ibuprofen) --

Remember, though, that can be hard on the kidneys. . . and anything hard on the kidneys can also be hard on adrenals. The adrenals and kidneys are so connected.

The liver support thread also has that detail on ibuprofen constricting blood flow and stressing kidney function.

The adrenal glands sit right on top of the kidneys. Same blood vessels for both. If something constricts blood flow to the kidneys, it constricts blood flow to the adrenals, too.

And, it's likely that such blood vessel constriction is not just for the kidney region (that includes the adrenals) but it also affects other blood vessels in the body as well.

Blood vessel constriction increases toxicity throughout the body. And that will light the fuse any "fight or flight" inclination.
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

That's very telling. Makes sense.

--------------------

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What got me back on track with the adrenals was ashwaganda and pregnenolone. They are adaptogens that help the body help the adrenal glands.

As far as thyroid most use either Nature Thyroid or Armour. I use Nature Throid as it has less fillers in it and more T3. I also take T3 as a supplement several times a day.

You must also balance your hormones. I don't know how old you are, but estrogen, progesterone and testosterone need to be supported.

It all goes together to balance everything.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Beth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Droid, To my knowledge, I could be wrong but Vicodin is Hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Vicoprofen is hydrocodone and Ibuprofen.

So Vicoprofen does not contain acetaminophen, it contain Ibuprofen (Motrin).

Posts: 84 | From way over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly Beth
Member # 39193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Beth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see keebler told you that already---sorry, lol!
OOPS! Didnt read through everything first.

Posts: 84 | From way over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few supplements here geared towards adrenal health and neurotransmitter:
https://www.neurorelief.com/index.php?p=products#

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a guess , but possibly phosphatadyl serine , GABA , OR taurine amino acid . These all calm down the fight or flight chemicals that are supposedly over excited neurons. Lithium orotate also ( mineral not a drug ) calms the hyperactivity down .

Go to website of Priscilla Slagle MD - "The Way UpFrom Down" or go to amazon and look up the book "The Mood Cure " that discusses amino acids .

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is definitely an area that interests me.

I am finding that L-theanine and GABA can work, but sometimes they do not. I did get paradoxical effects from valerian (felt worse).

I don't quite understand it.

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

I would really like to understand the role of epinephrine in modulating body-systems.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A lot of folks can't take Valerian. A lot. It can cause a terrible "hangover"

the role of epinephrine for those with lyme?

Not so much the role but the reaction - it's a rocket fuel and a time bomb all in one - and will blow the adrenals right out of the water. Avoid it at all costs in dental anesthesia or if a surgery comes up.

Vital to know in advance. NO EPI should be put on the inside of dental and medical charts. Far too excitatory. Far. By far. That's just one reason so many do poorly at the dentist.
-

Hmm...
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hmm...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why you say epinephrine would blow the adrenals out of the water. Epinephrine is prouduced by the adrenal glands. I think your warning is a little too harsh as I had a minor procedure done using epinephrine injections and it was not a problem. It made me slightly shaky, but it clears in about 20 minutes. Not a biggie.

While I do appreciate your extensive research, I don't think your concerns are always accurate for general advice.

Posts: 131 | From Neptune, NJ | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement