LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hypo-thyroidism vs. Hyper-thyroidism ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypo-thyroidism vs. Hyper-thyroidism ?
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are nodules on my thyroid. My follow up isn�t until Thursday and I am hoping to have some understanding before going but I�m still confused on the -thyroidism difference.

Hypo- = TSH high = under-active
Hyper- = TSH low = overactive

Do I have that right?

Mine is on the very low end of the range and Thyroglobulin is very high. If the above is correct, this would suggest �hyper-,� correct?
The problem is that my symptoms are closer to �hypo-� instead (weight gain, cold intolerance).

What am I mixing up?

Also, what are the standard treatments for each?

Thanks

[ 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: xoxoxox ]

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump, anyone?

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right. I hope that you get some helpful info today.

For me, even though I have thyroid issues I am still cold and easily gain weight. Again for me, it is either from menopause or Lyme/Babesia.

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you're going back and forth? Hashimoto's causes you to be hyper, then hypo, and back and forth. (I think!)

So you may want them to check you for that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Lymetoo said, you could be bouncing back and forth.

Sadly, Lyme Disease can cause havoc with our thyroid and many of us end up needing to take medication for it. Myself included.

I never had a nodule in my thyroid though, so hopefully that someone that understands that aspect will be able to jump in and offer advice.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years back I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid and had a sore swollen nodule. I had a scan done and it was negative for cancer.

I am now hypothyroid and was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis.

I don't remember what my numbers showed but just went last week to have blood work done because I'm way too tired lately. Don't know if that helps but thought I'd share.

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI- Found a chart I'd saved, but the link to it doesn't work now. It has good info on hyper/hypo and adrenal symptoms.

Since the original link didn't work, I just copied the chart to the www.MarylandLyme.org website from the document for your use if you'd like. Hope it helps.

Linked here now:

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/symptoms-information/hypo-hyper-thyroid-adrenal

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case of autonomous nodules, (which send out their own hormones without being asked) the TSH is low and you get hypo symptoms.

But the problem is that doctors are being taught that autonomous nodules are symptom-free til the nodule is at least 3cm.
Wrong.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Thank you for the response and thanks Tincup for the table. Very interesting as some of my answers fell under "Adrenal" and some under "Thyroid" but rarely were my answers "mixed".

Met with my doctor yesterday and she told me the nodules were benign and that based on my "markers" and symptoms, she believes me to be headed for hypo-thyroidism.

She gave me the options of waiting until it is fully happening or to begin medication now and discussed with me the different choices.

Starting now seemed like the best idea to me and a prescription for Armour Thyroid was sent in plus a follow up in six weeks to assess my response.

RDaywillcome - which medication are you taking?

n.northernlights - I don't remember if she used the term autonomous or not. I'll ask her about that when I go in for my follow up.

--------------------
----------
Danni

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you will see a knowledgeable doctor. I went to endocrinologists for years and none of them diagnosed my Hashimoto's disease because they never did tests for antibodies. Finally a LLMD did the test. I had no idea!

I had episodes of being hyper which was miserable. When I asked the doctors if it was possible I could have hyper attacks, they told me that was impossible as I would have to be one or the other - not swinging back and forth.

It was some people on lymenet that told me about Hashimoto's and what it does. Now I am taking Low Dose Naltrexone and my thyroid disease seems to have halted.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement