LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » zithromax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: zithromax
campermom
Member # 39856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for campermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone. I have been on Doxy and flagyl since I was diagnosed in Nov. Because of the sun now coming out, my dr. changed doxy to zithromax.

Because of some things I saw on the news a few years ago, I am afraid to take the zithromax. What do any of you know about the safety of this drug. I am still on the Flagyl as well.

Today I found a deer tic on my young son. I took him to the llmd and he put him on 3 days of zithromax. Do you feel that is good. The tic had only been on a day or two and there is no fever, no rash.

Thank you.

Posts: 53 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't worry about taking zithromax because if you look at the actual statistics regarding the risk of heart complications it is a VERY low overall risk.

However, you might want to consider minocycline if you are concerned with zith. It works very well for Lyme and is similar to doxy without as much risk for sun sensitivity.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter was on zith for 2 years and just went back on it last month.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeSwimmer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeSwimmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Zith for 3 years or so (for about 6-7 months each summer and switching back to Tetracycline in the winter) - no complications or issues.
Posts: 118 | From New England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be careful about tinnitus.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just seconding the be careful of tinnitus. See Keebler's threads on proteting your ears, very important!
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat1777
Member # 39231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kat1777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing Doxy for 2.5 months and I'm doing very well on it. My doctor wants to switch me to something else next month before I head to the beach. He mentioned triple treatment, which will include Tetracycline or Azithromycin and Monocycline. I don't know what the third one was. I'm not sure if I want to make the switch. What side effects should I be aware of with these drugs? Can someone point me to the tinnitus thread? I had ear ringing before I was treated and don't want to have to worry about that again. Thanks!
Posts: 90 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kat,

Here you go:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat, you have to get off the doxy if you are going to the beach. You can't go in the sun while on doxy. If you do, you have a great chance of getting a nasty chemical burn from the doxy. Believe me, you don't want that burn!

Some have said you need to be off the doxy a week before going in the sun. This way, the med is out of your system and you are out of danger.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement