LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » levoquin or rifampin for Bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: levoquin or rifampin for Bart?
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,
Having a really rough couple of months; a week ago I went to ER because I couldn't tolerate GI pain, anxiety, insomnia, sweats....I'm on mepron/zith right now but my LLMD and I are now strongly suspecting bartonella....In my 9 years of treatment, I've never addressed Bart..Anyone getting their butt kicked by bart, and if so, what antibiotic do you think is better? Any ideas are greatly appreciated..
I've had so man tests lately for parasites, metals etc.....but i've never addressed Bart. Sometimes we lyme patients get a strong gut reaction to try something new....I think this might be my next step.
Thanks so much!

Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love my kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love my kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two kids and I both are chasing Bart, along with Babs, Lyme, etc. Bart is a beast. Yes, we tried rifampin and levoquin. Could not stay on levoquin long enough because we developed tendon issues. Please do your research on this one. Some docs give you Magnesium in high doses before starting and during treatment with Levaquin. Be Very careful! You can wind up with permanent tendon damage.

Rifampin did not touch my bart. My daughter did improve but it's still lurking.

--------------------
Healing thoughts to you,

L.

Posts: 101 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both work well but your gonna need something to get it inside the cell too. Bartonella is so much smaller than a spirochete and burrows.

Plaqenil maybe. I'd discuss intracellulars w/ your dr.

I know a girl who didn't respond to oral rifampin, but then IV worked amazing. Oral worked with me but i stopped cause I'm on so many others but I'll go back.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much!!
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Septra (Bactrim DS) for Bart last year.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

I'm allergic to Bactrim [Frown] ...any thoughts on levaquin?
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Levaquin- twice- began treatment with it, and ended treatment with it.

I loaded up on oral magnesium and vitamin C, and every single night while on Levaquin, I forced myself to do an

Epsom salt bath with 3-4 cups of salt, very warm water, for at least 20 minutes, and body brushed beforehand.

Every night, I was so paranoid about tendons. I think it helped.
I also did not exercise while on Levaquin-

In between Levaquin treatments, I did some rounds of Cipro and Rifampin (not very long periods)

Byron White A-Bart (months), Beyond Balance herbal Bart tincture, Zhang's HH2 capsules, and Cowden herbs for Bart.

(Not all at the same time, lol. But did my best to keep knocking it down and out.)

There are some LLMD's that feel like Levaquin is the best antibiotic for Bart. I am glad I did it. And glad I was careful.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this page of "The Lyme Disease Solution" talking about meds to treat bart and how to take them:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

I got rid of bart with 30 days of Levaquin followed by months of Bactrim DS to kill babs. Bactrim also hits bart.

I see you can't take the Bactrim, but start at least with levaquin and then after levaquin do another med that hits bart.

From Burrascano Guidelines:

"The drug of choice to treat BLO is levofloxacin.. . .

Alternatives to levofloxacin include rifampin, gentamicin and possibly streptomycin." (pages 24-5)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Surprise and TF: thank you so much!! going to call dr tomorrow and see if he'll work with me on this...if you get a chance, can you tell me what your specific bart symptoms were?

Thanks again; you guys are the best

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe I had any bart symptoms, but I tested positive for bart through Igenex.

Bart could have been the reason I had horrible episodes of abdominal pain every so often--even had to go to the ER once for it when it lasted 10 days. I had many tests, colonoscopies, etc. that found no cause for this pain. But, all that stopped at some point, so it was likely from bart.

Also, I had 2 episodes of feeling like the soles of my feet were burned. It happened in the afternoon and lasted for hours. These are the only symptoms I had that are known to be caused by bart.

I had no problem with the Levaquin. I continued my weight lifting while taking it.

Here is Burrascano discussing bart symtpoms:

"Indicators of BLO infection include CNS symptoms out of proportion to the other systemic symptoms of chronic Lyme. There seems to be an increased irritability to the CNS, with agitation, anxiety, insomnia, and even seizures, in addition to other unusually strong symptoms of encephalitis, such as cognitive deficits and confusion. Other key symptoms may include gastritis, lower abdominal pain (mesenteric adenitis), sore soles, especially in the AM, tender subcutaneous nodules along the extremities, and red rashes. These rashes may have the appearance of red streaks like stretch marks that do not follow skin planes, spider veins, or red papular eruptions. Lymph nodes may be enlarged and the throat can be sore." (page 24)

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

If you never have treated bart, it is high time that you did. Nearly every single lyme patient has babesiosis and bartonella both. So, many good lyme docs automatically treat their patients for all 3. They call them "the Big 3."

Once you've treated for the Big 3, then if there are any symptoms left, you start to look for other causes. But, it is basic treatment to treat a lyme patient for bart. So sorry this was not done early on for you!

lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

TF - thank you so much!! I have a call in to my LLMD; just waiting for a response.
I can't believe in all the years (15, 9 years of treatment) I've had Lyme, I never treated Bart. And right now, my symptoms are: horrible stomache pain (I also went to the ER on May 3rd; of course they found nothing - the dr only asked if my husband is hurting me and do I hear voices in my head...nice, huh?), sweats, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, lumpy shins that produce bruises when I press them (weird, I know)....I really hope he's on board with Levaquin...
Thanks again and I'll provide an update. You don't know how much you've helped me.

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think TF is the common patient BTW....most people on here fight bart for years.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

So...my llmd has refused to give me any meds for Bart. No reason, he just wants to "keep me on the stuff I've been on"...was so desperate that I showed up to his office today. Despite the fact there were NO patients there, he refused to see me. Nice, huh?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement