LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » potential Tindamax neuropathy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: potential Tindamax neuropathy?
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I might be hypochondria-ing myself out. This is the only forum I have ever gotten solid help from. Sorry for the influx of newbie questions.

I started doxy + tinadamax (first abx ever for Lyme and I jumped right into 1.5g of tindamax a day) and haven't really herxd. Just had a headache a lot of the time, and only a few times did it get somewhat bad.

However, day 2 to 3 my right tricep started going a bit numb. Nothing outrageous but enough to notice. No tingling, no burning, no shooting pains. It has came in and out since then.

Day 6 (today) I woke up with my right calf feeling the same. I got a bit scared and havent taken my abx today as I'm seeing a primary care dr tomorrow and will call my LLMD as well.

Right calf went away as the day went on but my right tricep got worse, and that whole line of muscle/nerve line down to my pinky is all very slightly numb. motor ability is still 100% I can flex all muscles and do everything the same. No burning, shooting pains or nothing just feels 5-10% numb.

The annoying part is, I've had sypmtoms like this in the past so its hard to know. But I can't recall it ever lasting this long. I am chronically tight and I can cause numbness or shooting nerve pains when bending or moving my neck in weird movements but it usually goes away relatively fast.

When reading about neuropathy issues, it seemed to indicate it almost always starts at toes/fingers which was not the case for me at all. It also seemed to indicate that you'd have similar pains/symptoms on both sides of the body that should be close to equal, definitely not the case for me. Also I have only experienced numbness, no pain or burn.

I think I'm probably fine but being active is a huge huge part of my life, and I didn't want to risk having anything permanent happen.

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, DO run it by your LLMD .. but this really sounds like it could be a herx. You're in the first week and things usually ramp up by Day 3 or 4. You are right on time. (ugh)

I THINK that as long as you are not having shooting pains or tingling in your hands and feet, then you are probably OK. But .. I'm not a DR!!

With Lyme, everything will get worse until you beat it down. It could take a long time.

I don't know how in the world you can tolerate tindamax at such a high dosage on your first week. (perhaps you are NOT handling it) That much would have killed me, I think! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, thanks again for a reply. this forum really is awesome. Like I told you via PMs, I am not a severe case of Lyme (if Lyme is what I have as my labwork is only semi convulsive.

Yea, after everyone saying Tindamax is a severe herx drug and my dr not recommending I start slow I was worried but I haven't really herxed much.

Like I told you in the PMs, I am on the better side of health than a lot of chronically ill Lyme patients. Which is maybe why he decided to just start me on 1.5g a day right away with my CD57 being on the high side.

Yea, sometimes I feel like I am forcing myself to feel slight tingling in my toes kinda like when you talk about bugs you feel them on you. Definitely not anything concrete. And no shooting pains to my toes or fingers at all.

If I was herxing with ANYTHING but physical nerve issues, I would be content and actually happy to see a herx. However being active and playing sports is just about the only hobbies I enjoy in life, and I will not risk anything.

Just out of curiosity, there has to be many patients who have issues on both Tindamax and Flagyl, what do those patients do? Just beat it down, wait for cyst to undo, and beat it down again? (As some argue is the best way anyways)

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't take either, then you will have to take natural things, like grapefruit seed extract or other herbals.

If you had the numbness prior to beginning treatment, then that IS your herx. Now it's back.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was on Tindamax briefly. His LLMD had him take Methyl Protect and B6 to prevent neuropathy while on it.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B vitamins to protect your nerves! I took a liquid B.complex for fast absorption, but this was with Flagyl. It *really* helped.

Don't want to mess around with peripheral neuropathy -if it's a drug side effect, it can be permanent.

Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

I took 100mg of B6 once the symptoms arose. I will take the B100 complex I have. I'm not sure what Methyl Protect is I'll have to check it out.

Girl, yes I know. This is why I was stating I will take no risk. According to the PDF he gives the indication that Flagyl/Tindamax are given to the chronically ill RESISTANT patient. My CD57 is high and I've never attempted to treat, I will never risk permanant neuropathy when I don't even have conclusive evidence I have Lyme. My labwork is basically god smack in the middle. My main argument is I know ive been bit by ticks in my life, and I've ruled out almost everything else. And 2 LLMDs including one on the ILADS board are confident enough in the possibility to treat me.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

If you have lyme-specific bands, then you have lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

I only got an IND on one Lyme specific band.
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

LLMD said to have family physician take a look at me and report on what the Dr says. Staff didn't sayanything else when they called.

Been off abx for about 36 hours and my tricep down to my pinky is still slightly numb.

What natural agents are cyst busters besides GSE? I've also heard of Wobenzyme. Anything else?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Try here:

natural cyst busters..

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/119183#000023

Been checked for coinfections? And .. which lab came back with one band? Which band?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GSE is a cyst buster? Yikes! LT - why didn't you tell me? LOL
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

GSE is known apparently.
Wobenzyme Dr. K uses

Went to primary care and he doesn't know much about neuropathy issues but he didn't seem to think it was related and recommended I continue my abx.

I'm waiting for word back from at least one of my LLMDs before I do that.

He said my pulse was much stronger when hand was relaxed than behind the back of my head. In his opinion that indicated impingement, not damage.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

girl .. if you hang with me, you learn! [lol]

We need to talk, btw... [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

I know! And here I was thinking about taking GSE for my candida. I don't want to be busting up any cysts, though! They'll do that in their own time. [Embarrassed]
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Might be a good thing! Keeps the bugs away!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you are active and able to play sports, what prompted Lyme treatment?

I ask that because my son's LLMD doesn't treat unless the person is sick.

Believe me, Lyme treatment is harsh. If you are well enough to play sports, maybe you don't need heavy duty treatment? Just my thought.

[ 05-14-2013, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: lax mom ]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessiep
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessiep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Tindy for 6 no everyday. 1g. I also thought i was getting neuropathy. My llmd said not its lyme sx. And he was right. I did have that stuff on and off and like you and was unable to figure out whether it was the Tindy it the lyme. I'm freaked out about taking all these meds so I assume Tindy. It went away like every other sx I've had.
Posts: 342 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think flagyl is more likely to cause neuropathy than tindy. But it does give me a headache when I take it after being on abx a while. I interpret this as cyst busting activity. If the headache is too bad, I stop it for a while.

And lyme causes neuropathy, which a herx will worsen. So, it might be hard to figure out what is going on here.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement