LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Other women discover, too, that the 'pill' was actually making things worse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Other women discover, too, that the 'pill' was actually making things worse?
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure wondering if any other Lyme/tbd gals like myself also found this out the hard way?

Recently stopped ortho after a loooooong history of being on it (to help with extreme blood loss/related iron-deficiency anemia). Seems to have already remedied/lessened the impact of some of my most troubling Lyme/tbd symx.

Was assured all of these years that it was a perfectly 'safe' choice for me (i.e. non-smoker, with no family history of blood clots). Can't believe I never thought to try eliminating it from my meds schedule...until just now.

Anyways, the important thing is that I have now, and as mentioned, it seems to be an overwhelmingly beneficial change.

Would be thrilled to hear/learn of others experiences (if positive), following cessation of the pill (especially regular ortho).

And, btw- I am in no way suggesting that the pill is not a good idea. Otherwise, I would not have been on it for over 11 years, myself! At this point in my old age (ha!), I was just looking at things through a different lens, and had become so desperate to try and 'help me, help myself.' Again, this was a heavily weighed decision based solely on the pervasiveness of some pretty concerning (and seemingly treatment-resistant) tbd symptoms.

Many thanks for the weigh-in's on this topic, in advance!
Told you...

[ 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Told you I was sick ]

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up...

Modified my topic, a bit, in hopes that others with similar experiences will comment/share.

Thank you!
Told you...

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know that they can cause Candida. So that is another concern.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Lymetoo. I didn't know that. You see? So glad that I posted!

Thank you for sharing that tidbit.
Best to you!
Told you...

[Smile]

Btw- still scratching my head on the pill-Candida connection!

Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried "the Pill" (for monthly cramps/migraines & irregularity) and could not stay on it. Took it for about a week, and my anxiety went waaaaaayyy off the charts. I could not handle the mood swings, either.

This was long before I knew I was gluten sensitive (gluten-free lifestyle = no more cramps/migraines), and long before I knew I had Lyme.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen50
Member # 8423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have lyme when I was on the pill, but I can't imagine taking it with lyme. It made me incredibly moody and totally killed my libido. I also had constant yeast infections. I know it works for some, but for me, it was evil.
Posts: 38 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I even smell any form of oral/hormonal contraceptive, my Lyme goes NUTS. And I mean seriously nuts. Since I've been sick, I tried to go on 3 different times and felt horrid; same thing w/ morning after pill. so yeah, youre not alone for sure!
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Razzle, Jen, and lifewith,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! It is good to hear that none of you are still taking the pill- with Lyme, etc.- since it seemed to cause a host of problematic reactions for each of you.

All this time that I have been on it, I thought that the pill has been helping me. And yet, now finally off of it, I appear to be experiencing some pretty dramatic improvements (and all quite suddenly, at that). Coincidence? I highly doubt it.

Well, thank you again ladies for your candor. It is much appreciated!

Onward we go!
Told you...

YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article suggests the pill (among other things) may be a factor in the alarmingly high rate of breast cancer in women under 40:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/21/breast-cancer-young-women.aspx?e_cid=20130521_DNL_art_2&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign= 20130521

Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

YinYang- thanks for contributing that link to the thread!

Four and a half weeks off the pill, now, and the changes have held. I can't believe it! One example- the fibrous cysts that I developed over the years (while coincidentally on the pill) have already dramatically shrunk in size. One concerning spot seems to have even disappeared altogether.

Who knew? Amazing!

Thanks, again, for everyone's helpful input!
Told you...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement