LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Oral surgery next week - ABX or herbs for support?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral surgery next week - ABX or herbs for support?
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am scheduled to have a molar tooth extracted next week. I developed a hard bump on the roof of my mouth, which turned out to be a fistula which was draining bacterial fluid from an infection behind a root canalled tooth in my jaw.

I am going to have conscious IV sedation because I don't think my nervous system can handle the anxiety and pain. The oral surgeon is going to need to scrape away as much of the decayed bone as possible without going too close to my sinus cavity.

I would use a biological dentist but am reluctant due to the difficulty of this extraction. I asked the oral surgeon if I would need antibiotics for this and he said that it is a chronic infection and that my immune system will likely take care of things with the help of that fistula in my mouth.

I never thought I would be asking for ABX, but I am thinking I will need them! Are there any antimicrobial herbs that are known to help with oral surgery? I plan on taking chlorella for several days but wonder if there is anything else I can do to prepare for this surgery and promote the best healing.

I know of someone who had oral surgery recently and had a terrible setback in her illness. I am trying everything I can do to prevent this from happening to me.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salt water rinses.

Myrrh gum is very healing to the oral tissues, and is a natural antimicrobial.

Ozone injections into the area may also help stimulate healing and kill microorganisms.

I think you are wise to go with an experienced oral surgeon for this - for the reason you cite.

Chlorophyll rinses in the mouth are also good. Freshens breath, nourishes oral tissues, and fights infection.

Be sure to get chlorophyll without sugar or other additives, if possible. Peppermint or other flavoring might be too intense on a fresh surgery site, so try to find unflavored chlorophyll liquid...

Homeopathy AFTER the surgery:

Arnica - for pain, shock, trauma; stimulates healing.

Hypericum - for nerve pain (some claim it's better than morphine for pain; personal experience agrees with this).

Phosphorus - to help stop bleeding, also helps stimulate healing & reduce pain after tooth extraction.

Rotate the remedies as often as needed within the first few days of the surgery; after that, reduce frequency of dosing gradually until symptoms are gone. After that, Arnica can be continued 1-2x/day until the site heals.

I used these 3 remedies instead of pain medications after my wisdom teeth surgery, and again when I had a tooth removed earlier this year.

The pain I had from the tooth extraction this year was worse & lasted longer than the wisdom teeth extraction, but I got an infection at the extraction site and that was causing the problem. Antibiotics helped immediately.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago I had five teeth surgically extracted.
I knew I'd be a complete nervous wreck, so I asked for a mild tranquilizer, and they gave me one pill to take an hour beforehand.

It was very helpful, as I was able to get ready for the appointment and I was much calmer.
There was no pain during the surgery, as I was completely numb from the novocaine injections.

You can reduce post operative pain and swelling with Serrapeptase.
This systemic enzyme is taken on an empty stomach so that it passes into the small intestine before it dissolves.
About 25% of it is absorbed through the intestine walls into the bloodstream.
It seems to be very safe, with no overdose problems.

Effect of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase on swelling, pain and trismus after surgical extraction of mandibular third molars.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18272344

Quote:
There was a significant reduction in the extent of cheek swelling and pain intensity in the serrapeptase group.

(Trismus is muscle spasm that reduces the ability to open the jaws.)

Another thing that would reduce pain and swelling and speed healing would be to use magnetic pulsing.
The SOTA Magnetic Pulser works well for this.
Someday everyone will have one of these as part of their First Aid kit.

If you cannot get a tranquilizer, you could use kava or valerian.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't serrapeptase increase bleeding during surgery, therefore should wait to take until after surgery?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carol and Razzle. Razzle, did you get your infection before or after the surgery?

I have some minocycline, mepron and rifabutin left over from my year of ABX (dates are still good). I am afraid that none of these would be helpful for oral surgery protection. I am really amazed that the oral surgeon does not want to prescribe ABX for me with the bone being so infected. I am waiting to hear back from my LLNP to see if she would prescribe or recommend anything for me.

I purchased some enzymes, called Traumagesic � Complex for after the surgery. But in my own research, I read that although turmeric is anti-inflammatory, it also prevents blood from clotting. This product contains some turmeric. Now I am afraid to take it. I wondered about the serrapeptase preventing the blood from clotting as well.

Also, a while back I wrote to the people who sell the Sota Magnetic pulser because I had heard that it might help to decrease tinnitus as well as support tissue healing. But unfortunately, I learned that if you have any metal fillings or dental implants (unfortunately, I have both) that you should not use the pulser in that location. [Frown]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to take some astragalus prior to the surgery to get your immune system going. After the surgery you can take countless herbal antibiotics. Buhner has a book, herbal antibiotics. I might recommend honey infused with garlic cloves once you can orally ingest things.
Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Razzle:
Wouldn't serrapeptase increase bleeding during surgery,
therefore should wait to take until after surgery?

Yes, that's what they did in the study that I linked to.

dbpei said...
I wondered about the serrapeptase preventing the blood from clotting as well.

Enzymes would help the blood flow more freely during surgery, which might cause problems.
But you can google for multiple studies where the surgical patients took systemic enzymes shortly after surgery.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be careful with any herbs that blood thinning qualities as there are a lot out there. You should let your oral surgeon know what you are taking.

When I thought I was going to have oral surgery my llmd said he would put me on clindamycin - same as what the dentist said.

I have always done well with high doses of vit.c before and after any sort of surgical procedure.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement