LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why not a complete blood transfusion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why not a complete blood transfusion?
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't this get rid of protomyxzoa?

I read somewhere that when babesia was really severe, they did this so I assume it helps.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to get all the sludge out of your veins instead of picking away at it?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The "sludge" will not be removed from veins with a blood transfusion. It would likely just stick around right where ever it is if holding onto the vein walls.

A fresh start sounds like a nice idea yet it's also impossible to do a complete blood transfusion - in getting every last drop out of the body. Blood could not be removed from all organs and tissues. As long as ANY blood is left with infection, as soon as new blood comes back in, it's all mixed together.

We can't be squeezed dry (no matter how we feel at the end of the month trying to balance our bank accounts).

I am not familiar to the article you mention. Do you have a link or remember the author?

I also would not want a new supply (or any, actually) as that could very well carry babesia and other stealth infectons.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There may be a blip in the definition of terms or concept.

What I found from a basic search does not sound like a complete blood transfusion to me but this may be what you read about?

It appears that this is the SOLE goal, feeling better (not so much to eradicate infection):

" . . . replace ENOUGH abnormal red blood cells to help patients feel much better. . . ."

http://apheresis.org/~ASSETS/DOCUMENT/PDF/Patient%20Resources/RBC%20Exchange.pdf

PROCEDURE: RED BLOOD CELL EXCHANGE (ALSO REFERRED TO AS RBC EXCHANGE TRANSFUSION)

Excerpts:

Description:

Red blood cells are cells that carry oxygen. In specific diseases, such as sickle cell disease or certain infections, red blood cells become abnormal or infected and cannot carry oxygen effectively.

Red blood cell (RBC) exchange transfusion is a procedure in which a machine removes a patient�s abnormal red blood cells using a centrifuge to separate the blood into its various parts.

These abnormal cells are replaced with several red blood cell units (pints) from healthy volunteer blood donors.

. . .

Diseases for which RBC Exchange Transfusion is Used:

RBC exchange transfusion is used to treat serious complications of sickle cell disease including stroke and chest pain, and can also be used in certain infections such as malaria or babesiosis in which red blood cells are damaged.

Number of Procedures that are Required:

For acute complications of sickle cell disease or certain infections, a single procedure is usually sufficient to replace enough abnormal red blood cells to help patients feel much better.

Some patients with sickle cell disease may benefit from periodic exchanges to prevent future complications. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So it appears that it's taking away a lot of damaged or infected blood cells and giving the patient some new healthy red bloods cells from a donor - but not removing all the blood from the patient. It just can't do that.

The new blood cells could help the patient get stronger and IF all measures for addressing the babesia still in the body were done, I can see that this could have some advantages.

I'm not so sure I would trust either the "healthy" donor's blood or that the doctors in any hospital setting actually would be as aggressive and thorough in treatment of Babesia. All that blood in the body that was not removed, all that tissue with blood supplies left still contains infection.

They certainly are not in agreement that it can be chronic and, therefore, often stop treatment way too soon.

Still, I don't know much about this at all. Just enough to ask a few key questions.

I would go for RIFE treatment long before any blood exchange.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you are asking more for protomyxzoa, why not see if the experts in that field have addressed this?

You'd still need a hospital setting to have this done, though, and most doctors don't even know that protomyxzoa exists much less are they at all able to adequately address it.

I've not looked into protomyxzoa much but I wonder if anyone has gotten anywhere with RIFE treatments for it?
-

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good ideas. I have thought the same thing as far as getting reinfected with something else and that you could not get all the blood out. I hadn't thought about the biofilm not being removed. Maybe if you were given heparin first that would help.

Here is what I found about transfusions for babesia.

In severe cases, blood exchange transfusions have been performed to lower the parasitic load in the individual.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babesia

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

This is from the CDC.
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/babesiosis/health_professionals/

Some patients�including those with severe illness�might require or benefit from supportive care, such as:
antipyretics;
vasopressors (if the blood pressure is low and unstable);
blood transfusions;
exchange transfusions (in which portions of a patient�s blood or blood cells are replaced with transfused blood components);
mechanical ventilation; or
dialysis

--------------------

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1--- I wouldn't necessarily depend on the CDC to guide my treatment

2--- Nor would I depend on blood transfusions. IMO that's how some people contracted TBDs in the first place (inadequate testing of the blood supply)

3--- Dialysis is a drastic, life-altering intervention that will not be approved by insurance unless you are in renal failure

This information from the CDC is referring to patients who are in life-threatening situations. "Mechanical ventilation and dialysis are prime examples of that.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That CDC website is a hoot! It says to treat babs patients for 7-10 days!

Notice that it says the list nefferdun posted is "supportive care" for severely ill babs patients.

Supportive care is not treatment that is attempting to cure the patient.

So sad. They don't have a clue!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I feel like I need a Brita filter for my bloodstream. [Wink]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, IMO they are referring to ppl on their last leg. No one would ever recommend a blood transfusion or dialysis as a treatment for babesia unless the patient was in critical condition in an ICU.

LAX, yeah, if only we could have a Brita system for our blood. Hey, can't someone out there invent that???

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanobots with teeny vacuums?

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saudi is building the worlds largest dialysis facility capable of treating 800 a day. Don't think they are just going to be using it on renal failure.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"if only we could have a Brita system for our blood."

We do. Our kidneys, our liver, our skin, our lungs are all part of our overall filter system designed just for us.

To help when those are overwhelmed:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aphresis treatment GiGi posted about could probably be a big help with cleaning the blood.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a big help no doubt, but getting it approved and someone to pay for it....pretty tough to do.

But it is also a big help (providing the person is in good enough health) to just get rid of a pint of blood per month. That way all the bad crap that's inside the RBC's gets flushed out of the body, and brand new uninfected cells take their place.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

micul, If you have high ferritin, like I do, getting rid of blood is a really good idea. The high iron is beneficial to the parasites and does other damage too. I just can't get a doctor to agree to do phlebotomy.

I know the CDC has no clue about how to treat babesia but given this fact, it is very interesting that even they recommend a blood transfusion in severe cases to reduce the load. You would think really sick people could use their recommendations to their benefit.

--------------------

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff, I just heard from someone who treats with my old doc that he is finding a variant of the PR in some people, and that he is trying Alinia/Ivermectin/mino on it. People with PR seem to improve on Ivermectin (doesn't this fit the bill for you?).
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

CD57, yes ivermectin knocks it out for me. I stay in remission as long as I am on a very low fat diet but now and then I have to take the ivermectin/stromectol to keep all the symptoms away.

I just had a regression but am back to normal after 4 days of stromectol. I was waking up very stiff, getting pains, nasal congestion and loss of stamina. It happens very quickly but I seem to be ok now.

I just wish there was something to keep it under control that is not a drug - or I could get rid of it permanently.

I got my camel's milk and as soon as it thaws I will separate the fat and begin drinking it again. Speaking of "nano-antibodies" to vacuum up the slim, that is what camel's milk is supposed to have. It is similar to human anti-bodies but one tenth the size so they get into all the nooks and crannies.

I think I do better when I am drinking it because I need stromectol less.

--------------------

fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had surgery four months ago for a broken leg and received four pints of blood for the first time in my life. I have no idea who those donors were but I felt worse than I ever did with Lyme for two weeks after getting those transfusions.

Think about, you can donate blood if you have Lyme. What other ailments would permit you to donate as well?

I would not pursue this topic unless absolutely medically necessary.

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

That is true. You can donate blood with lyme and you can donate organs too. I took my name off the donor list for organs because the steroids they have to take would kill them.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For anyone new to this forum or new to lyme, if have lyme or any tick-borne infection (or other chronic stealth infection such as Cpn, Mycoplasma, etc):

DO NOT BE AN ORGAN or TISSUE DONOR. DO NOT DONATE BLOOD. For now, for the future, too.

For what it's worth, the Red Cross will not accept any donation from someone who has EVER had BABESIA. I think if the Red Cross were truly lyme-literate, they would say the same thing for lyme.

Find other ways to help out in the world.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement