LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to expect from IV antibiotic treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to expect from IV antibiotic treatment?
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So,

I Finally got an answer from my insurance, and they will cover a month of IV treatment. Now, I am not sure if they will cover for more than a month (I highly doubt it), but If I am getting a month it's better than nothing. I will probably continue with oral drugs after that.

I am just wondering what should I expect?
Is the picc line painful?

What have been your experience with IV treatment?

Thank you.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on getting your jnsurance company to pay!

I am not sure that a month will do the trick. Not sure what your finances are. But you can call infuserve and ask what it would cost out of pocket each month. What my insurance would have paid, $9000 for a month we could get from infuserve for )$1500. I have heard that some get a months worth of meds for $500. It all depends on what you're prescribed.

Also, Lymelight foundation gives grants to young people to help with treatment costs. They gave my daughter $8000.

As far as what to expect.... My daughter herxed initially, but then felt better than she ever had. Everyone is different though. It's important to stay hydrated to flush the toxins. Also on non treatment days see if your LLMD will prescribe lactated ringers. They help with detox and keep you hydrated.

My daughter got really anxious prior to line placement and almost backed out. From what I hear that's pretty common too. Once she had the line placed though her anxiety went down after she got used to infusing.

I wish you the best of luck in your IV journey!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually tolerate herxing better with IV treatment. I think because my stomach is so bad that it eliminates all of the issues with it.

Hope you feel better and better!

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trimom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trimom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!

Agree with first post. My ins agreed to pay for 28 days and even with contracted price paid 10x as much as if we did something like Infuserve. I'd rather they pay 10 months of Infuserve than one month of the expensive infusion company with terrible home nurse.

Insurance companies are cheap in one way when it comes to IV as far as time limits but not smart with money they spend for those days.

I had an issue with my home nurse who actually pushed my picc in farther and made the insert site sore as the wider part she pushed into my arm. Picc is easy to live with but just takes some time to be comfortable with it.

Insertion wasn't difficult or painful...what the home nurse did was.

Good luck!

Posts: 120 | From MA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a port and IV meds. I had a couple of real doozy home nurses, but then found a dear man who took good care of me. You just have to keep calling and asking for someone else if the nurse doesn't work out.

I learned to run the IV myself and if it made me sick, I would run the med thru slower.

I am glad I did it.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!!!

Learn here exactly what the nurse should and shouldn't do in terms of following clean/sterile technique. Because nurses vary a lot, and you need to watch what they do and call them on it, if they aren't following clean/sterile technique.

You need to insist on having nurses who do things exactly right, because your life, your health, and the life of your PICC line depends upon it.

You do need to start investigating how you can continue the IV treatment after the insurance stops paying for it directly. Look up the PM that I sent you before about this.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys.
Getting my picc line on monday. I am a bit nervous about it.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing that a nurse would push the PICC in further. That is absolutely a no no, carries germs inside! Sheesh.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement