LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast, Constipation and LLMD gives Lactulose?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast, Constipation and LLMD gives Lactulose?!
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I know this is TMI..but.. My gut and intenstines are so messed up that even though I am using probiotics, amitiza, 800mg+magnesium and metamucil I still am really backed up and constitpated. Something will work for a couple of days (maybe) and then stop.

So my LLMD added Lactulose 2 TBS, up to 3 times a day. The first day it made me bloat out like a dead cow in a river too long, horrible pain, then some rather unpleasant relief. Then it stopped working and I started having some of the more serious side effects of systemic yeast that we had gotten under some control.

I looked it up and this stuff is made up of... sugar crystals... WHAT?! I've spent the last 7 months off sugar, and the last 5 off all flours/carbs, fermentation...ect. JUST so I could now do this to myself?!

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried colonics? I had severe, obstinate constipation from a herx caused by IV Doxy, and colonics were the only thing that got the situation corrected for me.

Other alternatives:

Herbal laxative products

Burdock root (with every meal until things start moving better)...

Large doses of Vitamin C (with lots of water)

More magnesium (I was taking 1500mg/day at one point, just to get my crazy guts to move)

Liquid diet until things get cleaned out... This is my last resort tactic when everything else fails...this plus a huge dose of magnesium and vitamin C and lots of water.

Thankfully, I haven't had to use the 'last resort' method since I got the colonics, and also since taking homeopathic Aurum Ars.

But homeopathically speaking, what works for one person may or may not work for another...

With your specific issues, you may find more help from a remedy called Lycopodium (may help with bloating & distention, gas, indigestion, colonic inertia/severe constipation).

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Razzle. For years I had to use saline enemas to go at all, thanks to heavy abx use. Then when Lyme came out of remission and into my brain, I switched to Magnesium Citrate, but I was so toxic we had to get my body to expel waste everyday, quickly. That has been the issue.

I have not tried colonics recently, although I had to have one for a lower GI and another test years ago. I will try increasing the Magnesium, Vit C, and look into Burdock root (make sure it doesn't interact with all the other meds I take!).

I also get some help when I juice raw veggies ( recipe: 1/6 purple cabbage wedge, large handful of spinach, 3 leaves of fresh swiss chard, 2 big carrots, 1 large granny smith apple, 1" ginger root & 1/2 lemon) looks weird, tastes great. Drink all of it in down within about 2 minutes.

Metamucil and Miralax never help, sometimes I think they make things worse.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a quick search on Lactulose and Candida. It is a man-made sugar that supposedly does not feed candida. But it can influence blood sugars, so if you have Diabetes you want to monitor carefully.

What it does do is change the pH in the lower bowel, pulling ammonia which will increase fluids in the bowel- helping with elimination.

As you probably know, it is really important to eliminate waste regularly. Your LLMD took this into account, plus you medical history, while deciding what to recommend. But if you are really concerned, getting a message to him/her would be appropriate.

Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My digestion and bowel movements improve when I drink a cup of Kefir daily.

I make it with the starter powder.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been battling gut problems for years now.Im pretty sure its yeast-leaky gut caused from years of antibiotics.The last year I have had stomach discomfort and constipation. Im trying all out to get my gut right. Trying s boulardi,different strains of probiotics,l glutamine,zinc,digestive enzymes,low to no carb diet,metimucil. Man,its a struglle.I suffer all sorts of symptoms from my gut being messed up.I am going to up my dose of metimucil to two doses a day because im still not regular and I eat plenty of fiber and water.500 to 750 mil of magnesium usually works when needed.Do you herxhimer when you take garlic or anti-fungals?
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloe vera juice helps me so much with constipation. It tastes nasty but it's worth it. You can get a big jug at Drug Mart. It's cheap and easy and all natural.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there sugar in aloe vera juice?
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

I have tried Aloe Vera juice, with minimal success...it is very expensive here though. Wonder why? Hmmm.

I can not have any diary products right now, so Kefir is out, but it is a good product in general I know.

Chainsaw, I don't herx with regular garlic that I cook with. What kind of antifungals are you refering to? I am taking Burbur, Sparga, Pinella and Banderol.

I have upped my Magnesium to 1200mg, 2000mg Vit C. Drinking Green Juice I do at home. And of course, probiotics.

NO ABXs because years of it has done a number on me. I was given one a couple of months ago for "get bacteria". I am on a no carbs diet, I barely eat anything.

My LLMD is now wanting a colonoscopy. Great, more $$$, that I don't have.

--------------------

whitmore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitmore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Lactulose is a pretty good medicine, once you get used to it. It absorbs ammonia which can cause brain fog and is used for hyperammonia in those with liver disease. Seems very benign and is OTC in most countries. Sue
Posts: 226 | From Princeton | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

LLMD pulled me off it. She said that, "since I have said that I am often in that "rarely" category when it comes to side effects with medications, and my medical records concur..." she thinks it is time to see the GI.

--------------------

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a Dr. This may sound, I don't know, simple, but I have found it true personally, and was told this in these words some

years back by my daughter's speciality high end Dr.:

With the chronic type constipation, it's time to do a 'gully wash'
Get the cheap $2.99 liquid glass bottle of magnesium citrate

from the drugstore, and drink it on a morning you will be home all day.

It will clear you out, it won't be pretty, but impacted stool and debris clinging in your intestines need to move out, and this works.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try George's aloe vera. NO SUGAR, no CITRIC ACID!! Reasonably priced.

Vitacost and/or Swanson's carry it. My health food store also carries it. It's a jewel of a find!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like George's Aloe juice, as it is healing, clear and tasteless (good for kids)

But, just my experience in this house, if there is impacted stool, long standing problem needing clearing,

it won't be strong enough.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

ewt. I am in the same boat as you.My GI tract has been messed up for years and has gotten worse the last year. This last month I have decided to make an all out attempt to fix this thing and try to have some sort of comfortable life again. My GI problems have given me all types of pleblems from physical to neurological to pschycological. When my GI is really bad all the other symptoms are bad to.The better my GI is the better i am.I was just wondering if you herxhiemer on any antifungals? I had a colonoscopy last year,did the pre-day preperation just as they told me(2 bottles of mag citrate),the results of the colonoscopy was I still wasnt cleared out even with the two bottles of mag citrate. I have made a protocaol to try to get better and im seeing some resluts but along way to go.Its ne easy fix. I like the scripture at the bottom,peace in GOD.
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

I met with my LLMD yesterday (her request) after a bad 5 hr long "episode" Wednesday night. She says it was because I am so toxic. She is holding off on the GI for now (until July) and is sending me to their LL Nutritionist to see if she, along with continuing on with the Amitiza and Magnesium, can come up with something that is effective.

She said I am not getting enough calories, or even actual food to let my stomach know it is time to start digesting. I need more variety in my very restricted diet. So she said we are dealing with yeast, lyme, gut issues and irritable bowl problems. If this is not successful in the next 6 weeks, we will go with the colonoscopy.

Thanks to all, I used George's and it didn't do much for me, it may after I work with a nutritionist. I 'lived' on magnesium citrate for awhile, but the goal now, because of my toxicity levels, is normal evacuation.

I'll keep you updated, as this my be useful to others...especially you Chainsaw Joe. Blessings.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Chainsaw.. yes, you can "herx" on anti-fungals. You may want to look into the Body Ecology Diet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

well thank you very much.I hope you come up with something to help us. I am trying my hardest to correct my GI. I also will keep you updated if anything starts really working.It tough/24-7.Peace and strength to all of us.
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Getting the whole GI system working properly so we can expel toxins is one of the major keys. BTW, LLMD said my eye sight problems were most like the Babs, back on Mepron. Peace to all.

--------------------

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently started RX Linzess. It works better than Amitiza did for me.

I have less abdominal pain now. Better, more frequent (every couple days), more normal bowel movements. No side effects like diarrhea or anything.

Here's some info on linzess:
https://www.linzess.com/how-linzess-works.aspx

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement