LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 5,300 year old may have had Lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5,300 year old may have had Lyme disease
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
died roughly 5,300 years ago, may have had Lyme disease!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/otzi-iceman-head-blow-death-mummy-brain-tissue_n_3418652.html?vrtrackType=_vrtrack&peppyCount=78

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where ya been? [Big Grin] Unless this is a different Ice Man, this was in National Geographic last year.

Maybe Huff Post is just now waking up.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on Lymetoo, Don't blame me - It must be my Lyme Brain!

Since "Huff Post" just posted this today...they must be in the same shape as myself!

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I noticed the date and wondered what the deal was.

Hope your daughter is doing well! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could they tell he had lyme disease?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Tissue &/or bone testing confirmed borellia b.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Tissue samples, I think. I read the article in National Geo, but I've slept several times since then!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Lymetoo - I found the article>
Perhaps most surprising, researchers found the genetic footprint of bacteria known as Borrelia burgdorferi in his DNA�making the Iceman the earliest known human infected by the bug that causes Lyme disease.

Here it is - http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/11/iceman-autopsy/hall-text

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Cool! Glad to have that in our files. Not sure we have the full text here.

Thanks!

---"Perhaps most surprising, researchers found the genetic footprint of bacteria known as Borrelia burgdorferi in his DNA�making the Iceman the earliest known human infected by the bug that causes Lyme disease."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ctone
Member # 38779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny about the effort put into testing Iceman for Lyme, but we still can't get definitive tests for the living. What test did they use? They said they found the genetic footprint in the DNA, is there such a test available for the living or does it just work on 5000 year old Icemen?
Posts: 40 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Probably a very expensive test, is my guess.

Most DNA tests are.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so funny, the reason Steve just heard about it was the 5300 year old IDSA man named Skuzzi who tried to suppress the story. No, I'm SERIOUS, really!!
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryinvt2
Member # 37822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryinvt2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if the dinosaurs died of Lyme. Give it a thought. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. David Visott ~

Posts: 56 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctone
Member # 38779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme has been around forever, really. For sure Dinosaurs had it, it's even been found in billion year old meteors, it's always been here, we just never noticed it. All those wierd symptoms that popped up in Lyme Conneticut in the 1970's, that was just a bunch of hysterics, because surely, you know, since Lyme has been around forever, humanity would have long been well aware of such a disease and it would not have made such a dramatic appearance in a small town in Conneticut.
Posts: 40 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he have 4 or the 5 bands? ;-)
Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

BUT WAS HE CDC POSITIVE??? LOL!!

ctone .. I've had it since the 50's... and I'm not alone in that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ctone
Member # 38779

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
BUT WAS HE CDC POSITIVE??? LOL!!

ctone .. I've had it since the 50's... and I'm not alone in that.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you figure
out you had been infected in the 50's? It is known that both the Japanese and Germans (and who knows who else) were experimenting with
tick born diseases during WW2, resulting at some point, presumably, in today's bacterial strains.

SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Lymetutu. My point exactly.

I bet he only had 4 bands! Probably 41, 23, 28 and 37.

I'm surprised the CDC didn't issue an argument.

Either way, I'm sure he couldn't get insurance.

[bonk]

Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahhah, is he CDC positive,
very nice lymetoo.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Nope, no insurance for this guy!! No treatment after 4 wks either!! No wonder he died! [Big Grin]

ctone.. I was first exposed to ticks in the late 50's. The first day we went to our wooded land, my brother and I were covered in ticks. Probably way over 100 of them that day.

Over the next 10+ years we got tick bites every single weekend. I have no idea about rashes or even EXACTLY when I got sick.

I was sick A LOT and even had to have a homebound teacher for several months when I was 17.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MaryMi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryMi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In it's original form it may not have been a big

problem, such as anthrax, until it was altered to

make it much more severe & harder to treat.

--------------------
 -
This is only my opinion and/or experience with Lyme Disease. I am not a medical professional.

Posts: 587 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement