LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin Allergic Reaction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin Allergic Reaction?
jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffinca11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.

I need some advice from all the good folks on these boards.

Started Bicillin LA 1.2 million units (once a week, 1 shot one in each cheek)

I'm also on Minocycline 100mg x2 a day & Rifampin 300mg x2 a day.

I've done 3 weeks now of the bicillin at the full dose above. The first time I did 2 shots, 24 hours after the injection, I had flu like symptoms.

My body ached (more than usual), I had a low grade fever (99.8-100.3), fatigue, couldn't sleep and my heart was racing when I lay down in bed.

My face became flush as well.

Luckily, those symptoms were gone within 24 hours.

The 2nd week, same thing (24 hours after the shot, flu like symptoms, etc...)

This week, the flu-like symptoms started the same night that I received the injections. It's been roughly 30 hours and I still have a low grade fever, aches, face is flush, a bit nauseous, fatigued, heart racing, etc...

I'd like to know from others who have done Bicillin if they experienced this same reaction? Is this normal?

Is it a herx?

I have a couple of people in my family who are allergic to Penicillin and am now wondering if I am as well.

Also, looked up on Drugs.com for interactions and it says that Minocycline can make bicillin less effective.

Any advice is much appreciated. I'll call the LLMD's office tomorrow but for now, i can use some help.

Thanks.

Posts: 165 | From lymeland | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to allergic reactions you really need to consult your doctors office as no one here is qualified to advise you on this. I'm sure there will be some that will say it is a herx, but only your doctor can safely say so.

After spending several days in the hospital following an allergic reaction to a medication this is not something to take lightly. If a med causes you not to feel right you need to find out why. Heart racing, facial flushing, nausea could be signs of an allergic reaction.

Also its easy enough for you doc to run a blood test to see if you are allegic to penicillins. I had this done myself. I found out I was allergic to cephalosporins, which I figured after the hospitilization, but the blood test confirmed it and shut the door on certain meds like rocephin..but the blood test for penicillins was negative so I was able to do bicillin. Of course there is always the chance of a negative test but an allergic reaction can still happen. My LLNP gave me epipens to have at home while on antibiotics.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree of course, we on the board can't tell you if you are having an allergic reaction, but just thought I'd throw this out-

When I started the Bicillin shots, the first time or two, the Dr. made me sit in their office after they gave me a shot, for 15-20 minutes, to see if I'd have a reaction-

so I am assuming if I were allergic, boom, it would have hit right away and not been pretty.

After that, I was allowed to have my husband administer them at home, after they showed him how to do the shots.

I never, ever run fevers. Not part of my infection picture.
For me, after I would get a shot, about an hour later, I would

HAVE to lay down, they would completely wipe me out.
Then I'd be okay.

Hope you are okay, and you hear from your Doc soon.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement