LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone feel like they're losing control with diet restricting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone feel like they're losing control with diet restricting?
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started cutting out gluten and refined sugar nearly two years ago. I have VERY strictly followed that plan and I've never wavered from it. In some ways I feel like it's a bit of an obsession for me. I absolutely will not eat either of those things.

The bad part about this is that even though I don't restrict calories, I am having trouble keeping weight on. I eat tons of fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, even some dairy but I've lost a lot of weight. My BMI is underweight.

My LLMD has never told me to cut out any foods but I've told them I do it. To me it's a control thing in some regards. I feel like I have no control over my symptoms or my body anymore. I also worry constantly about not having access to treatment anymore and that drives some of my anxiety and restriction. I feel like I CAN control what I eat and that can't be taken away from me. That thought pattern is kind of scary to me though. Having a psychology background and working with children and adolescents, I know that type of thinking is a sign of an ED. I have never had any problems with ED in the past and I don't restrict for weight loss.

I don't know.........in some ways I feel like it's normal to want to have control over something. Especially since I've lost the ability to do a lot of what used to define me. In other ways, I know that if I lose much more weight I will need to add back in these foods and I think my stubborn attitude will not allow that.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

[ 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Summer3 ]

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you. I totally get the control thing. Except that there is a fine line though between doing everything we can to get better, and letting go to live our lives every now and then. That said, not having access to treatment would make me do all I could to fight. So like you, diet would be my main focus, along with herbs and trying other things.

I ate gluten free and sugar free (no fruit either) for over a year (but did have gluten free grains). I did it on my own to help my body fight off lyme and company as well as candida. I feel like it's emotionally and psychologically unhealthy though not to let go every once in a while. I do this once a week to every two weeks.

There is another factor behind all of it as well. I think it depends on how any of us feel about curing lyme. I think it's in us forever, and we have to manage it when it flares or comes out of cyst form. Once I started feeling this way, I started to release my obsession with lyme (strict diet), and started to live again.

I eat gluten free cookies every now and then--potato chips too, but in moderation. I just up my probiotics and take some herbs for yeast when I do this. Restricting my diet to a T became too draining for me. Letting go a little seems to have freed my brain.

I began putting weight back on once I started eating salmon, flax, nuts, GF bread (sandwiches) and GF pizzas (Unos), and potato chips. I know fish has heavy metal in it, but I had to let go of this, and just keep going on chelating them out of me. Flax meal has also helped me keep from dropping more weight.

I feel like we're on this planet for a minimum amount of time (avg. lifespan). I try hard to not let lyme take over me now. A super strict diet just seemed to keep me locked in a lyme obsessed world. Now I get out of the house more, do a little gardening, enjoy nature, play with my cats more and paint again. I feel like I'm doing well enough on my diet too. It doesn't have to be so perfect.

I say live a little and try other things to make you feel like you're contributing to your lyme treatment (herbs, exercise, etc).

[ 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Catgirl ]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, well said, I'm with you!

I've eaten so strictly for very long periods of time and wasn't any better than I am now.

I stay gluten free, but I do relax control here and there and have treats like a GF sandwich or pizza. However, I do stay away from regular dairy, as it bothers my system. A little goat milk or cheese here and there is fine though. I need to have some normalcy once in a while for my sanity.

I did have issues with eating disorders years ago, so I have to be careful. It's very easy for me to obsess about diet as well as appearance.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You say that being firm about no gluten and no sugar can sometimes feel like an obsession? I don't understand that, unless others are putting those ideas into your head. My guess it that you are hearing others' voices and opinions here.

And I've had to deal with that, too.

How is it obsessed to be defined, careful and determined? It is not.

There is absolutely zero wiggle room with gluten. None. Not a bit. Even a trace can do damage for up to six months later for someone with celiac. It's okay to be clear.

Clear is not the same as obsessed. Not at all.

It's really hard for me to think that my diet is at all restricted. I certainly do not feel that way at all.

I do not eat: gluten; dairy; sugar (other than in a 75-80% organic dark chocolate, one or two ounces); any processed foods and or any GMOs.

Very firm about that, although, less so about dairy at times with organic yogurt (but that still gums up my ears and sinuses so those times are less as I come to feel better without it).

But, overall, I do not feel at all restrained - I feel my diet is well designed and DEFINED. I've been able to figure out what DOES WORK for me, what I DO ENJOY.

All the other seeds and grain-like items that work very well for me include:

Black, Red, Wild Rice,

Regular, Red, Black Quinoa

Sometimes: Millet, Amaranth or Buckwheat groats

But really, any of those are just a small side dish too

VEGGIES

FRUIT (as not on abx, candida is not a problem but my mouth can't handle any acid. Dark Berries and other low glycemic fruits mixed in with veggie smoothies seem to offer me my fruit fix. And Stevia helps, too.

A frozen banana with vanilla is my "ice cream" - for those with candida issues, it might be something else - like a few dark berries, pureed in coconut milk with stevia and chia seeds, frozen just to the icy state.

PROTEIN - so many ways to enjoy this category

FAT (Avodaco oil is very nice, and there are so many other oils that help my brain)

in delicious, flavorful recipes, some very easy.

GARDEN HERBS & SPICES will make the day.

Onions, Shallots, garlic, fennel bulb, ginger and others like them also make all the difference.

I would hope that rather then feel confined, the vast array of good food might help others feel FREE from the contrainsts of the typical (poor) American Diet.

We can come alive with food, real food. It's entirely possible to enjoy a very particular food plan. Well designed and defined yet with a ton of room for variety and flavor - to feel as well as we can and enjoy gifts of the garden & fields.
-

[ 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Summer,

you say: "The bad part about this is that even though I don't restrict calories, I am having trouble keeping weight on" . . . . (end quote)

Food is obviously not the only variable to weight. Same for the opposite. There are many who carry added weight who have good diets.

It's not always about the food. Do be sure to get the calories & nutrients you need and, beyond that, with treatment and good support, this will likely all balance out when lyme & all start becoming more of your past.

All kinds of weight issues can go with lyme, even for those with excellent food choices and balance. There are so many body systems and organs affected and other variables, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Respectfully Keebler, I'm not going to beat myself up over my diet at all. In fact, I'm giving myself a great big pat on the back for how well I do eat now.

I eat gluten free, and buy as much non GMO foods as I can. I cheat with dairy. I shouldn't have it, but when I want it, I'm going to have it (unos pizza). And I'm sure their food is not GMO free, nor organic. This is one dish that makes me feel happy. If I can find a good gluten free pizza dough recipe though, I guarantee you I will make it at home (haven't had any luck here).

I'm sure you know that GMO free doesn't mean it is NOT genetically modified of course. It just means the seeds don't have round up spliced into them (thanks monsanto--not). I believe we should all strive to eat this way. It will help our health and planet immensely. That said, I'm doing the best I can. But there is so much more to this than eating perfectly for a lyme patient (as I explained above).

I know this sounds strange, but it seems like my gut bacteria is actually better sometimes when I eat gluten. I've tried it several times. I'm sure it's inflammatory for my body, but after abx destroying all the good bacteria in my gut, sometimes I feel better doing it. Maybe it's feeding or putting some good bacteria in my body (dunno). Obviously, this is where we differ. I think a little won't hurt.

I think you're awesome, but I'm not sure you understand the obsession and control issues here. You're right Keeb, it's not always about the food. [Smile]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
About the organic concerns you state, I just get very ill if it's not organic. Seizures hit. So, that's why it is not negotiable for me. Seizures hit from gluten, too, up to 3 days afterward. Same with aspartame.

I did not list my food matters as a bible but as an example. I know others have their own set of guidelines that their bodies have told them works best (or okay).

The qualifier for gluten was for those with celiac. There is no wiggle room, then (without consequences). Of course, along the way, there may be blips on the screen but even a trace of gluten can be a huge matter for someone with celiac.

For those without celiac, there can be various parameters.

Not everyone has issues with dairy.

I did not mean that what I avoided would necessarily be what others have to avoid. I can "do" organic soy but I know others can't.

The other ways I've designed my diet is due to what my body can tolerate - or does best with.

I know not everyone has the same issues but was just pulling my own examples about what I don't eat but still do not at all feel confined. So others would see it's possible to not feel confined from whatever their specific issues might be.

As for control issues, you are right, I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing but thought that when someone feels badly about their being careful with food choices, it's just too bad because there is nothing to feel bad about when we are informed and careful to take care of our bodies.

I had hoped to share my love for all the good kinds of foods so that people don't feel so confined.

For those with celiac who must avoid gluten, it is not at all obsessive - and there in nothing to feel bad or apologize about when being clear and firm with that decision to do what it takes. And there are so many other choices on the planet.
-

SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I blow my diet and eat sugar (one cookie) or carbs (chips), my body starts craving them.

I just got back from 3 weeks away on business. I'm in great shape when I leave and do so well starting out ... red fermented cabbage, for example, prosciutto, and avocado slices in my room for dinner. I stop at a whole foods store and stock up my fridge with such items ... almond milk and puffed rice, or sardines and chicken curry salad.

But it never fails. By the third week or so I am so busy and have no time that I end up grabbing what everyone else is eating for lunch and dinner while we're working.

I just got back two nights ago and went grocery shopping today. I swear my body was physically screaming for sugar. Ugh!

But now I am back on track. I look at it this way, food is medicine and I'm so blessed to know what makes me feel better.

I have gained weight after cutting sugar, gluten and dairy. I eat a ton of fats....avocado for snack, ghee melted all over popcorn (my only simple carb indulgence), salmon, shark, prosciutto, pork, chicken, olives, sweet potatoes.

My problem was I wasn't exercising. Now I am treating that like medicine. After reading Dr. B's reason why treatment fails, lake of exercise was No. 3. The No. 2 was failure to comply and the No. 1 was drinking alcohol.

I bought a shredder and I'm going to start my own fermented veggies. I make fun chips out of things and dry them in the oven. I eat constantly! lol. Hopefully, that will get more consistent.

SusanH

Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

No worries, friend (Keebler). I understand. [Smile]

Thank you Skies!

--------------------

SusanH
Member # 40582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SusanH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my apetite may have increased due to the Andrographis I'm taking.

I started it at the same time as the ABX.

Anyone else have this experience?

SusanH

Posts: 83 | From Sarasota, Fla | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing the low fat vegan(ish) diet - actually vegetarian. I am ok with gluten - at least as far as I know. My diet is already so restricted that the idea of not having any wheat sends me off the deep end. I don't care about meat but I miss nuts and seeds and cheese

I am very focused on food; what I can eat and what I can't eat. I know beyond any doubt that my health is completely dependent upon what goes in my mouth. Like it or not, I am stuck with this diet if I want to stay alive - so I have to find a way to like it.

I am not on antibiotics any more so I allow myself natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup and coconut palm syrup/sugar.

I used to bake a lot and I miss the made from scratch cookies and pies and cakes so much. I make some things without fat but they just aren't the same.

I have a few life savors. I make smoothies in a super blender out of frozen fruit and pomegranate juice or yogurt. I also make frozen yogurt in an ice cream maker with organic plain yogurt made from Jersey cow's milk. I sweeten with a little maple syrup but if I am watching the glycemic index I use coconut palm syrup.

I make chocolate syrup with coconut palm syrup and cocoa. The glycemic index of coconut palm sugar/syrup is only 35 which is less than a lot of fruits.

So I am obsessed with finding good things to eat rather than just putting something in my mouth. I am always hungry, I eat all that I want and I weigh what I did when I was in my 30's. That is the good part.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer.. I think you are OK!

Susan.. Here are some simple recipes for the vegetables:

Two of Our Favorite Beginners' Recipes

Version 1
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
1 bunch kale, chopped by hand
(optional): 2 cups wakame ocean vegetables (measured after soaking), drained, spine removed, and chopped
1 Tbsp. dill weed

Verison 2
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
6 carrots, large, shredded in a food processor
3 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

To Make Cultured Vegetables
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl

2. Remove several cups of this mixture and put into a blender.

3. Add enough filtered water to make a "brine" the consistency of a thick juice. Blend well and then add brine back into the first mixture. Stir well.

4. Pack mixture down into a glass or stainless steel container. Use your fist, a wooden dowel, or a potato masher to pack veggies tightly.

5. Fill container almost full, but leave about 2 inches of room at the top for veggies to expand.

6. Roll up several cabbage leaves into a tight "log" and place them on top to fill the remaining 2 inch space. Clamp jar closed.

7. Let veggies sit at about a 70 degree room temperature for at least three days. A week is even better. Refrigerate to slow down fermentation. Enjoy!

This video will help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWiRJxlETY .. 10 min long.

[ 07-02-2013, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SusanH
Member # 40582

Lymetu, Thank you! Those are some good ones.

Between my new shredder for fermented veggies and my new rife machine, I'll be pulling out all the stops.

Whatever it takes and any lengths, is my new motto.

Wish me luck! [woohoo]

SusanH

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When chopping or cutting veggies, be sure to hold fingers of other hand in the right way so it's impossible to cut fingers.

Find a good YouTube video of a professional chef on how to use a knife, really.

A could weeks ago, Jimmy Fallon had a bad cut to a finger and the other day, Kyra Sedgwick cut off the tip of a thumb. It happens a lot with a distraction or if one does not always - always - ever single time - hold all fingers in the safe position.

This may not be the best video but you can see how Jamie Oliver holds the fingers of his left hand straight up and down.

Also - keep knives sharp. Dull knives cause more cuts.

Secure cutting board with a web paper towel underneath - or a silicone hot pad (or two) for wider boards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_d0soK1cI

Jamie's Dream School | Jamie Oliver's Knife Skills
-

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer - if you're having trouble keeping the weight on, there are protein supplements - my DD is on them - there is rice protein powder available, which is casein free.

Won't suggest the GF protein bars, since they have sugar in them.

The GF/sugar free diet is such a grind. I was really bad tonight and, after a year of being good, broke down and had a cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer tonight. I know that I will pay for it in a few hours...

Good luck!

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler .. I use a food processor. No worries on cutting. (I think)

Susan.. see video above.. I added it to the recipes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SusanH
Member # 40582

trying the pickled okra this weekend. thank you. :-)
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are having trouble keeping weight on, why not add some good fats to your diet. Avocados are good, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. That will add calories and not change how you want to eat.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like saurcraut...but not alone. i have to put this on hold for awhile.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement