LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My doctor says that zithro alone will treat babs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My doctor says that zithro alone will treat babs
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 4 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I know i have lots of babesia symptoms.

Never treated for it. I am on IV antibiotics.

On zithro, flagyl, and invanz.

She told me this combination will treat lyme and the co infections. I thought I was suppose to be on an antimalaria drug.

But she told me that zithro will get babesia too.

Is that true?

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"Told azithromycin, alone, will treat babesia"

It will not. Or, at least not without risk of developing resistance.

No treatment for babesia should be a solo approach. It must be a combination of some sort.

Rotation is often the case for various Rx &/or herbs along the way. Multiple Rx, or Rx combined with herbs to "fulfill" that combination "requirement" - but, someone, conbination is what can help prevent resistance and failed treatment.

However, if she means that just adding that to the existing protocol, then it would not be alone, really IF other things also had anti-protozoa action (again babesia / malaria).

I don't know enough about your Rx protocol to know if that is the case.

If some of what you are already on can serve as a babesia component, the statement made by your doctor may have been misinterpreted. Ask for clarification (and other here will add their voice about your other Rx and if they can address babesia in any way).

You can go to the manufacturer's website for each Rx and see the range of therapeutic action.

Also, cross search at PubMed the name of each, cross-searching with babesia, and also malaria (for a clue as it if it might also have anti-babesia action as babesia is similar to malaria and some of the same drugs for malaria work against babesia).

Are you also taking any herbal supplement? If so, those need to be figured in, too, as some are helpful against babesia.

Flagyl is an antiprotozoal drug, so that might be one of your combo players.

I'm thinking this must just be a misinterpretation IF your doctor is truly LL and ILADS educated.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are on a very strong combo of meds. However, do not think this combo will get babesia -- will help but probably not enough.

Most likely though you will need to finish the invanz before adding more and stronger babs meds.

Herbs would probably be ok to add now, but adding another babesia med might just be too much to handle right now. But if adding herbs, please start low and go slow.

Hubby never took invanz, but that is one of the newest lyme meds and from what I have read many have very severe herxes with that med.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125092

Topic: Long term Babesia treaters . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I hope you are on good liver support. That is needed to help your ears & your liver better tolerate treatment.

As some Rx, such as what you are on, can lower the sound threshold at which noise can damage ears, protect your ears from noise. Avoid in-the-ear "pods" - wear decibel rated muffs or plugs when using a hair dryer, vacuum, blender, power lawn tools, etc.

See some of the other suggestions here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking liver support.

I am taking the flagyl for one week every month.

Maybe this combination will treat for babesia too, I am not sure. She told me it will get the lyme disease and the coinfections including babesia.

I will ask more about it on my next follow up.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Don't rely on her plan, alone. Compare with others. I would say this for any doctor. We need to see how the treatment suggested for us compares to what others in the field are doing.

And so much is being learned as time moves along. You need to be sure that your LLMD is up to date with all that ILADS doctors are learning.

Compare notes with other treating LLMDs - you can study the ILADS conference videos, compare articles and books and check out posts in the Babesia thread above.

Find out if she attended the last ILADS conference if she plans to attend the next one (early autumn, each year) or view the video presentations / have a relationship with or follow the work of other LLMDs? If so, that should offer some assurance.

www.ilads.org
-

[ 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My doctor says that zithro alone will treat babs."

She can keep dreaming then.

[ 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are going to be sick a long time if you don't get good Babesia treatment. It is a bear to get rid of.

You need a new doctor!

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I know, she attends those meetings all the time.
And she did tell me that she been to the last one.

--------------------
Ema

Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron, Malarone, Alinia, Cryptoleptis(so), Coartem, ART - you need to add one or more of these to Zythro and sometimes Clindamycin. This is per my LLMD.

If you do not want to take more abx.s/meds why not add Byron White A-BABS?

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to get a new doctor. lol.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, it's good to know she attends ILADS meetings. Still, her knowledge base - or maybe it's just her thought process - seems lacking in substantial ways.

Does not sound like she knows the subject matter well enough.

Be certain by engaging her in further communication. Something may have been "lost in translation" and it could be a mistake to just jump ship without a full discussion.

But also be prepared to seek out a different LLMD if her knowledge does not measure up.

You might compare notes with local lyme suport group members or the leaders as to others' experiences in this regard.
-

hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son was prescribed Mepron and Artemisinin to treat Babesiosis. I think he was also on an antibiotic or two, but can't remember which ones.
Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvema:
From what I know, she attends those meetings all the time.
And she did tell me that she been to the last one.

She may attend meetings, but it does not mean she follows ILADS protocols.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement