LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Losing weight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Losing weight
Jaoconnor
Member # 41195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaoconnor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have started doxy treatment a few weeks ago and cannot get into my LLMD until September, but have significantly changed my diet.

I have cut out all sugars, carbs, caffeine, gluten, etc. I have already lost 10 lbs and was thin to begin with.

I have no appetite in the morning but have been juicing. I ordered a protein powder so hopefully that will help.

This is all new to me so def overwhelming but I don't want to lose any more weight and would like to put it back on.

Can I eat any carbs besides what are in vegetables and sweet potatoes. I have had brown rice and rice pasta.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Posts: 29 | From Boca Raton, Florida | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abx made me starve. I was hungry all the time on them. You have to eat more gluten free grains, lots of veggies and some protein. Some people swear by protein powders.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaoconnor
Member # 41195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaoconnor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....I wish I was starving..lol. I think I am still just stressed and have high anxiety so it is making me lose my appetite. Thanks for the reply
Posts: 29 | From Boca Raton, Florida | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually looking back, it was yeast from the abx that made me hungry all the time. The yeast wanted to be fed.

I hope you are taking lots of probiotics. Abx kill all the good bacteria and yeast in the body. My doc did not put me on enough probiotics (only 32 billion). I needed 200 billion minimum to start. Once you get yeast, it's an up hill battle after that.

Sweet potatoes give me yeast, so I hardly every have them. It's good to avoid anything that grows yeast while on abx. Have you checked out Burrascano's yeast free diet yet? It's in the link below.

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/Burrascano.html

Have you tried quinoa yet? It has more protein and is gluten free.

Try to de stress. Stress is really bad for lyme patients. Try some yoga, meditation, massage, whatever works. Light weight lifting works the best for me, and it is beneficial for killing lyme.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure you are getting enough carbohydrates. As you say you cut out all carbs, you may mean refined carbs so just be sure that you still get plenty WHOLE carbs. Just in the form of lots of veggies, all colors, types, etc.

So, yes, in answer to your question: lots of carbs are actually required to fuel a body, including yours, even now.

As they come from the earth, though. That is the key. And low-glycemic. If you "do" any fruit, just a few dark berries at the end of a meal so they have other foods to balance it out. Dark berries are low-glycemic, such good nutrients and some can manage those if all other parts of anti-candida measures are on board.

Non-Gluten seeds and grasses that "act" like grains: as mentioned above - quinoa, regular, red & black.

Millet; amaranth; buckwheat groats; WILD RICE, black & red rices. In moderation, just1/4 cup - still with veggies galore.

Brown rice pasta, just now and then. It's rather "simple" and refined, too, by the grinding of the flours, even if gluten-free. So be sure the amount is tiny, compared to all the veggies that go with that, and the good proteins and fatty acids for glycemic balance.

Even up to 9 servings a day of veggies. GREEN, RED especially. The orange ones may have more starch but, in moderation with other veggies and other whole foods, they may also work fo you.

Protein from clean sources (and good fats, too). NUTS can really help.

Changes are this will level out. Often there is weight loss early on but (unjustified) gain later so I would not be too concerned, other than being sure you are getting enough good calories.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to avoid simple sugars, getting good whole foods and taking probiotics, either of these can be very helpful to prevent or lessen candida.

I found either of these then allowed me to have some dark berries and do just fine. I tried no fruit at all for a long time and felt that was detrimental. I did much better by upping the anti-candida supplements but then getting a fuller range of nutrients and antioxidants in foods. With the berries at the end of meal, that worked for my body.

Best to be on an herb similar to one of these for about week before trying a couple berries, though.

Diflucan, an Rx, can also be of help but I actually found either of these far better and easier on my body. I wish I hand known about OLE years ago, when I even had my first antibiotics as a teen. The last time I took antibiotics and took OLE first, and all through, no problem at all (still with a wise diet, of course, but I could do some dark fruits). It was amazing.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE � LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - LINKS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say you are consuming only (veggie?) juice for breakfast. Be sure to include protein, some of the veggie fiber back in, too.

Not sure what protein powder you just ordered but be sure to check the ingredients against this list before it's opened:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

Glutamic Acid / Glutamate also best avoided.

----------

HEMP protein powder is very nutritious.

Whey is nice but many forms are not very good for us and that cannot be mixed with may things. Alone is best.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031082;p=0

Why WHEY best alone, in water, not blended
-

Jaoconnor
Member # 41195

Thanks for all the info.

I was taking Garden of Life ultimate probiotic but then someone suggested I take Florastor. Are these ok or should I try something else?

I bought Jay Robb's whey protein. I made it today with almond milk. Is that ok?

You guys are correct- I am still eating carbs through vegetables. Really no fruit but I do miss it. The berries idea is a good one.

I am currently on 400 mg doxy.

I did buy quoina but haven't made it yet.

I was a long term runner - work out person before this happened. I did read where I cannot do that any more. I am starting a weight program with a personal trainer at my job on Tuesday. I am following Burascanno's one hour weight training program. I am looking forward to starting that.

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Florastor is good stuff. Garden of Life makes good products too but I haven't tried their probiotic yet. It's good to rotate your probiotics too. You need some gluten free grains tho.

That is great you are starting a weight training program. Light weight lifting makes me feel better within 10 or so minutes. It is the best form of detoxing I know, even during a herx (flushes the lympatic system). It's great for depression too.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I just wanted to mention to you that parasites are a huge part of lyme (another reason why I was starving all the time).

Parasites were recognized at the last annual ILADS meeting as being THE number one co infection. There is a great thread here called THE PARASITE WARRIOR'S THREAD with lots of great info worth reading.

Oh, and welcome to Lymenet!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat avocados and nuts!

The best probiotics are fermented vegetables:

Two of Our Favorite Beginners' Recipes

Version 1
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
1 bunch kale, chopped by hand
(optional): 2 cups wakame ocean vegetables (measured after soaking), drained, spine removed, and chopped
1 Tbsp. dill weed

Verison 2
3 heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor
6 carrots, large, shredded in a food processor
3 inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

To Make Cultured Vegetables
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl

2. Remove several cups of this mixture and put into a blender.

3. Add enough filtered water to make a "brine" the consistency of a thick juice. Blend well and then add brine back into the first mixture. Stir well.

4. Pack mixture down into a glass or stainless steel container. Use your fist, a wooden dowel, or a potato masher to pack veggies tightly.

5. Fill container almost full, but leave about 2 inches of room at the top for veggies to expand.

6. Roll up several cabbage leaves into a tight "log" and place them on top to fill the remaining 2 inch space. Clamp jar closed.

7. Let veggies sit at about a 70 degree room temperature for at least three days. A week is even better. Refrigerate to slow down fermentation. Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++

Here's a ten-minute video on how to make the vegetables:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWiRJxlETY

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaoconnor
Member # 41195

Thank you, Catgirl.....this website has been wonderful and everyone is so helpful.

Thanks for the recipes Lymetoo......will have to work up to this - lol

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to do it sooner than later! Wish I had!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florastor alone is insufficient for probiotics. You need to take something else IN ADDITION to the florastor.

You want lots of different strains of probiotics, and Florastor is just one type.

I bought Jarro-Dophilus.

From p. 28 of Burrascano:

"Acidophilus: the best kinds are frozen or refrigerated to ensure potency. Usual dose is two with each meal.

Plan to mix together several different brands to broaden the spectrum."

My doc had me take Florastor at the end of treatment to restore my gut. I did not take it during treatment at all.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crawgir1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crawgir1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Juicing is fine and good, except it expels all of the fiber out of the veggies. If you can afford it, get a Vitamix, which grinds the vegs to juice including all parts.

The fiber is essential to slowing down you digestion so your body can absorb the nutrients.

Posts: 123 | From Pawleys Island SC | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

And if you are juicing, avoid a lot of fruit. While on antibiotics, you will need to avoid sugars.

I had to stop juicing because of the fiber issue. I now use a blender and make smoothies with lots of greens.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on what Lymetoo said. Good carbs are okay but make sure you take lots of probiotics and watch the fruits.

Juicing is a good way to get lots of nutrition in fast. Brown rice is fine. Some of us are so insulin resistant we can't eat it, but you should to keep your weight up.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember to rinse the quinoa before you make it--just put it in a mesh strainer and rinse it well. It has a substance on the outside of the "grain" that is bitter and will wash off.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Adding to OtterJ's reminder about rinsing Quinoa - use a VERY FINE MESH strainer. The first time I rinsed it, it all just fell through.

Some might not need rinsing and it will say so on the package. Red, sometimes. Usually, the regular light one always needs rinsing.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When using a juicer, be sure to add back in a good deal of fiber for a thick drink or even to sort of "spoon feed" yourself with that mix.

GINGER & a touch of Stevia can be nice. Other spices, too. Cardamom, Cinnamon.

Along with others' reminders to either avoid fruit or go very easy with it IF you can manage it (some can, some can't but if so, very little and only either dark berries or tart apples as they are lowest glycemic ones - even just 1/8 cup will go a long way with other foods)

some may use too many carrots. Remember one carrot can go with LOTS of (neutral green/white bulky veggies for the body of a smoothie) zucchini, cucumbers, celery, some cabage, too.

Bok Choy is excellent, too, as the "stalk" part of that is similar but softer than celery and adds water and the green part is valuable, too.

OTHER NEUTRAL foods that will add lots of body and are very low glycemic? Hopefully other will add their favorites.

Celery: when you trim the edges, don't cut all the way through so you can then pull off excess strings. Depending upon the strength of your juicer or blender, even those strings remaining can trip it up so cut shorter pieces of celery if that happens.

If you have anxiety or seizures, it may be best to go low or avoid cabbage due to its glutamic acid / glutamate content (as some other veggies do, too).

See: http://drlwilson.com/Articles/epilepsy.htm

Or keep it low and with lots of other stuff. Balance is the key. And magnesium is the calming balance to glutamate's excito feature.
-

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy organic pre-rinsed Quinoa. Much easier to use.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jaoconnor,

Since I started treatment last fall, I've dropped 28 pounds... luckily, I had some weight to lose but now, I am TOO skinny... When I didn't think I would lose MORE weight, I started an anti-candida diet 1 month ago. UGH! I'm trying like mad to maintain weight...and it has worked.

I've been eating lots of avocados/guacamole, soaked raw almonds and walnuts, pumpkin seeds, eggs (which I am so SOOOOO SICK of), and coconut bread. Oh, and a few tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil a day (Its high in calories, very good for you, and edible as long as its a liquid.)

Lemon coconut bread is low in carbs and is quite yummy since so many other foods are off limits. (I found coconut flour at Whole Foods) There are a ton of coconut bread recipes out there, but this one is the most moist that I've tried. I also add the zest and the juice from 1-2 organic lemons to the recipe. Also, make sure you use non-sweetened coconut milk.

http://thecandidadiaries.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too/

I've been told quinoa flakes for breakfast are good too.

Good luck!

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaoconnor
Member # 41195

Thanks Everyone for your advice and comments. I will keep plugging away and hope for the best

I have been trying to eat an avocado a day as well. I think the food changes have been one of the biggest adjustments for me. Hopefully it will get easier as I get used to it.

Appreciate all the info!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement