LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » So sick and confused (Calcium)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So sick and confused (Calcium)
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many of the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism to go along with flagged high calcium levels. I've had a few of them flagged.

I feel sooo sick all of the time. Sometimes I can't function enough to post here.

My PTH came back once at 18 and the other time at 22 seeming like it's NOT a parathyroid issue.

I tested low on vit d years back at 8 and have been supplementing since. Now at 56.

My recent DEXA scan shows osteopenia and mammograms (3) in one day. First was blurry, second OK and then the doc wanted a magnification mammo. triple OUCH!!!

The report says there are new tightly-groupled microcalcifications somewhat coarse which have increased from prior study.

I do take magnesium but am afraid to take calcium.
I want to know how to fix the high calcium if it's not hyperparathyroidism as I know it's not good.

from parathyroid.com
If your blood calcium is high and your blood vitamin D is LOW, then 100% you have a parathyroid tumor.

Read that sentence again folks, as this is one of the most confusing things for doctors to understand.

Some uninformed doctors will see that your calcium is high and your vitamin D is low and they will prescribe a high dosage of vitamin D "to help make the calcium go down".

We have an entire page of this website dedicated to this one topic, but allow us to summarize it here in one absolute, very clear sentence:

If you have a high blood calcium and your vitamin D level is low, then near 100% you have a parathyroid tumor in your neck that is the cause of the high blood calcium and this tumor must be removed.

Giving Vitamin D to a patient with high blood calcium can be dangerous and shows that the doctor doesn't understand parathyroid disease very well.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me that you need to be checked for a pituitary tumor according to what you posted. Any chance of finding a decent Dr to check it?

Do not take extra calcium, but try upping your magnesium to level out the calcium.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/125325?#000003

I sure hope you feel better soon... keep trying to get the right Dr to help you!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maya12
Member # 36392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maya12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would be considered a high blood calcium?
Posts: 1632 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same issue.

I have very low Vitamin D and very high calcium.
I got checked for parathyroid issue, and I didn't have that.

My Lyme doctor explained that my body is not absorbing the calcium; therefore, it's in the blood and that's why it comes out high.

I am taking mag at the moment to see if that will help. Apart from that, I am not sure why the levels are like this, but I believe it's from the lyme disease.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What kind of calcium test? Not all measure it correctly. INTRACELLULAR to see what is be asorbed and getting inside the cell?

What about other minerals? Many more to consider if one is out of balance, that could be affecting it, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo. I upped the mag again today but don't know if that will lower the calcium.

From what I've read on parathyroid.com (expert info) an adult should have a calcium level in the mid 9 range.

High 9's and above is indicative of the calcium being taken from your bones. Some will be symptomatic, others not but both will have bone loss.

Some can have a calcium of 10.4 and be very symptomatic and sick and others can have a level of 15 and not feel sick. It isn't dependent upon the level.

The info. on parathyroid.com really does make sense and this appears to be yet another illness that most docs "don't get".

A high calcium can cause seizures, cardiac issues, bone pain, neurological symptoms and much more. Kidney stones, fractures,...

Luvema, what kind of test did you have done? PTH or the scan? ...

Keebler, It wasn't the ionized calcium which my thyroid doc suggested I ask for in addition to 1,25 Vit D which he says is the active hormone and has a very different range.

I'll ask my PCP in September when I see him next.

I know Calcitonin is also responsible to keep the calcium level in normal range. That is produced by the thyroid gland.

I don't know about other minerals. I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for trying to help me and others.

--------------------

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the PTH done I believe.

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby had normal blood calcium levels and sometimes low magnesium levels. Over the years his osteopenia progressed to osteoporosis and he did the once a year injections for that 2 times -- can't remember the name of the drug right off. His osteoporosis did improve some between the 2 injections he had done.

He had a history of kidney stones -- the research I have read says to supplement with magnesium because the calcium will be leached out of the bones to try to balance out low magnesium levels -- the body tries to balance calcium and magnesium.

Yes -- you need to have both vitamin D levels measured.

I really don't know if you have a tumor or not -- but if the magnesium is too low that will definitely affect the calcium levels.

A couple of times hubby did have the RBC magnesium measured -- that may have been normal but I can't remember. I do remember though that there was some confusing info once and a doc commented that they felt he had leaky cell membranes and that was why the test results were inconsistent.

I am not sure but I think the suggestion was to increase the good fats -- especially phosphatidylcholine -- to improve leaky cell membranes.

My suggestion -- take an Epsom salts bath or soak your hands and feet. You will only absorb the amount of magnesium you need. Of course if you have any detox issues or are severely low in magnesium you may feel worse initially. But keep at it -- increase the amount of Epsom salts or the length of time you stay in the water -- up to 30 minutes -- don't think you will absorb any more after that length of time.

RBC magnesium testing might be useful but it is kind of expensive I think.

Do you take any other minerals such as boron which are needed for calcium absorption?

Note -- pretty sure B vitamins are needed to absorb and/or use magnesium -- especially B6 and maybe B12 also. The p5p form of B6 is the best -- but also need to take a B complex as well.

But need to remember that if you have brain inflammation then you probably need to take Japanese knotweed or resveratrol so that the b vitamins are not converted into the neurotoxin quinolinic acid by an alternative pathway.

Hoping you will luck out and it is just a magnesium issue and not something more serious.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:

the research I have read says to supplement with magnesium because the calcium will be leached out of the bones to try to balance out low magnesium levels -- the body tries to balance calcium and magnesium.

Yes -- you need to have both vitamin D levels measured.

I really don't know if you have a tumor or not -- but if the magnesium is too low that will definitely affect the calcium levels.
------

My suggestion -- take an Epsom salts bath or soak your hands and feet. You will only absorb the amount of magnesium you need. Of course if you have any detox issues or are severely low in magnesium you may feel worse initially. But keep at it -- increase the amount of Epsom salts or the length of time you stay in the water -- up to 30 minutes -- don't think you will absorb any more after that length of time.

RBC magnesium testing might be useful but it is kind of expensive I think.

-
Yes, you need B6 to absorb the magnesium. Boron would indeed be a bonus!

http://requestatest.com/magnesium-rbc-testing

$49

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagnesiumAdvocacy/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin K2 is also needed for calcium to go into the bones.

Bea,

Interesting about B vitamins turning toxic. Is there something besides knotweed that will prevent that? I'm allergic to knotweed...

Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
razzle,

Not 100 percent sure -- maybe resveratrol from grapes rather than from the Japanese knotweed -- Buhner was the first one who wrote about this in the book Healing Lyme. Maybe check the book or ask on one of the forums dealing with that protocol.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Bea, Thank you. I'm hoping that it is due to low magnesium. I also needed the reminder about the Epsom salt baths. I did them for a short time years ago and soon forgot about them.

If it were to be a parathyroid tumor that would be OK as there is now a mini surgery for that.

I stopped taking D3 last week and haven't had the severe bone pain the last couple of days. YAY

Maybe once I get my magnesium level up I can add in a lower amount. I was advised to take 5,000/day.

That is interesting about the B vitamins. I know nothing about Knotweed. I wonder if I'd be allergic to it too as I'm allergic to everything I was tested for.

As the allergist stated "you're allergic to the world".

I will ask my PCP to order the labs when I see him in September. Thanks for the links Lymetoo and the other info..

I take Carlson Super 2 Daily vitamins and minerals. I only take one/day due to the percentages. Maybe I need to take two or supplement something?

Thank you all for your help.

Amount Per 2 Soft Gels % DV
Calories 18
Calories from Fat 9
Total Fat 1 g 1.5%*
Protein 1 g 2%*
Vitamin A (as beta carotene) 10,000 IU 200%
Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate) 600 mg 1000%
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 1600 IU 400%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol from soy) 400 IU 1333%
Thiamin (Vitamin B-1) (as thiamin HCL) 15 mg 1000%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 17 mg 1000%
Niacin (as niacinamide) 40 mg 200%
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCL) 20 mg 1000%
Folate (folic acid) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 120 mcg 2000%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (from d-calcium pantothenate) 40 mg 400%
Calcium (from calcium ascorbate) 50 mg 5%
Iodine (from potassium iodide) 300 mcg 200%
Magnesium (from magnesium oxide) 100 mg 25%
Zinc (from zinc glycinate) 15 mg 100%
Selenium (from selenomethionine) 210 mcg 300%
Copper (from copper glycinate) 2 mg 100%
Manganese (from manganese glycinate) 3 mg 150%
Chromium from chromium nicotinate) 240 mcg 200%
Molybdenum (from Mo glycinate) 75 mcg 100%
Lutein (FloraGLO by Kemin Ind.) 800 mcg †
Lemon Bioflavonoids Complex 50 mg †
Phosphatidyl Choline 50 mg †
Boron (from B glycinate) 2 mg †
Vanadium (BMOV) 400 mcg †
Fish Oil Concentrate 800 mg †
EPA (EicosaPentaenoic Acid) 130 mg †
DHA (DocosaHexaenoic Acid) 90 mg †
*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
† Daily Value (DV) not established.

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

That looks like a fairly complete multi vitamin. But I would add extra B12 sublingual and extra p5p. Might even consider an extra b50 or b100 complex as well. B vitamins are pretty cheap and it is pretty hard to overdose on them.

Some extra vitamin c might also be good. Probably would need the buffered form or ester c if you have any G.I. issues.

Have you ever tried quercetin for allergies or possible l-histidine?

Bea Seibert

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Thanks Bea. I have B 12 but stopped a few months ago as my B12 flagged high the last time. I have this B-Complex by Nature Made.

Is this enough? I can restart them.
I don't know how to post a picture as it won't past here.
http://www.naturemade.com/products/b-complex/super-b-complex

I take 500mg of Vitamin C 3 times/day.

I did try quercetin but it didn't seem to help. I didn't try l-histidine but will look into it.

I just looked up p5p. Interesting. I'm going to order that. Thank you.

Here is a symptom list of deficiency.

•Depression*
•Nervousness*
•Irritability*
•Slow learning*
•Poor dream recall*
•Dizziness*
•Fatigue*
•Cracks around mouth & eyes*
•Dermatitis & acne*
•Inflamed eyes*
•Facial oiliness*
•Stillbirths from deficiency during pregnancy*
•Decreased lymphocytes*
•Decreased vitamin C levels*
•PMS*
•Increased sensitivity to sound*
•Water retention*
•Decreased resistance to infection*
•Impaired wound healing*
•Poor appetite*
•AM nausea/vomiting*
•Dental cavities*
•Hair loss*
•Fatigue*
•Impaired calcium utilization*
•Decreaesd absorption of copper*
•Decreased iron status*
•Decreased Vitamin B 12 absorption*
•Arthritis*
•Muscular weakness*
•Neuritis*
•Carpal tunnel syndrome*
•Temporary limb paralysis*
•Numbness & tingling in the limbs*
•Anemia*
•Elevated homocysteine levels*
•Seizures*
•Low blood sugar*
•Low glucose tolerance*
•Abdominal pain*

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement