LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » jerks throughout day and while sleeping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: jerks throughout day and while sleeping
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to expound on another topic.

But, my son has been diagnosed with tics of his limbs.

Not sure what to make of that.

I can say he has flutters of his legs and arms throughout the day.

I feel them when he rests his legs on me, especially. Sometimes I see them.

At night, he has the myoclonic jerks throughout his sleep. It usually arrouses him, but he goes back to sleep. Not in the morning though. He wakes up early. Surprisingly, he is not tired. That's the new hyperactivity he has.

Does anyone know what food he can eat or something safe he could take to help with this?

I would be so sad if it's here to stay.

Thanks again

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking at old posts. Magnesium and fish oil are touted by Keebler.

We,re taking Dr. Mercolas krill supplements. Just started three days ago. Not sure if that is helpful. I assume not harmful. It's for children.

Maybe I should get Magnesium tested?

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium testing won't work unless you get the RBC test. Go to requestatest.com

Almost everyone is deficient in magnesium, esp if they are on any type of prescription drug.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella and protomyxzoa both cause major muscle spasms. In fact, Protomyxzoa is linked to MS. You do not want to supplement magnesium if he has PR because it will make it much worse. It is used to make biofilm.

I would try a low fat vegan diet to see if he improves. It would take several months if you are not also giving him meds to help reduce it, like plaquenil or ivermectin. Keep all dietary fat to 15 grams or less. If you supplement krill oil or phosphytidylcholine, count those grams as well.

If his IGENEX test results were positive on bands 23 and 41, that is an indication he has PR. Another indication is a low CD57 without the 28 day borellia flares. Both bart and PR would cause sleeping disturbances (not oversleeping).

If it is PR he might also have muscle pain, joint pain, teeth or jaw pain, nerve pain, clammy cold hands and feet (in winter), headaches, hot flashes, sweats, depression, profound fatigue, inability to concentrate, stabbing nerve pain, irritated eyes, frequent urination, IBS, auto immune diseases. . . .

I took magnesium for years and it did not help my twitching. Treatment did. I also followed a high fat diet because I was taking mepron/malarone and like so many others, I did not improve.

When I began the low fat diet and ivermectin I was in remission in less than two months. I went from fatigue so severe I could hardly climb the stairs, twitching, muscle and joint pain, cramps and stabbing nerve pains that made me scream, daily headaches, and a mind so dull I was unable to put 2 and 2 together -

- to beating my husband in every single game of cribbage, climbing two flights of stairs with ease, no pains and riding my horse again.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IGENEX test results were positive on bands 23 and 41"

Are you referring to the standard Lyme test?

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I have asked my son about his jerks. He says he doesn't pay attention to them.

My question for those who have this. Do some jerks go unnoticed or do you realise when you have them?

I see them. I had him put his legs down and I watched his feet jerk.

He has had a neurological evaluation, and the doctor blew it off.

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sydenham's Chorea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydenham's_chorea

Is he on antibiotics?

Choreiform movements/ Sydenham's Chorea is something we see in PANS/PANDAS children.

Does he have any other symptoms? OCD, Tourette like habits or tics, separation anxiety, etc.?

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read a few of your back posts, you mention he is 10, ADHD symptoms,

bad tonsils, not draining---

Really, I'm sorry-- now with this involuntary movement, it sounds like PANS/PANDAS.

Did you get his tonsils checked for infections after they were out?

Has he ever been on Azithromycin?
For my PANS daughter, this was her first antibiotic, and it completely changed her and gave her relief.

For awhile---- but brought down the bacterial load-
Also, inflammation modulation is key:
What happens when he is given a dose of ibuprofen?

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I would say my son behaves like a PANDAS patient, but I can't validate that.

He had a neurological workup. Would they not have seen that?

His twitches are not wave=like, they are little jumps.

Random in nature. Not necessarily caused my movement.

He's not on anything but krill oil.

Should I suggest an emg?

surprise
Member # 34987

I don't know how to explain PANS/PANDAS here, it is way too long and complicated.

http://pandasnetwork.org/category/strep/

http://intramural.nimh.nih.gov/pdn/web.htm

Here are a few links- you notice it talks about strep- well, it is also Lyme, Myco P. and other infections induced, hence the name change to PANS.

Did you get him on antibiotics after tonsils came out? What happened?

Our first 'trial' of treatment was daily, full dose treatment of Azithromycin, along with ibuprofen given 2x a day for 1 month-

Copious notes taken- the change in my daughter was dramatic and significant - I had school people pulling me aside asking me what happened (GOOD)

And I have to be blunt: no regular Dr., neurologist, MRI's,
will help you in any way.
They will offer psych drugs.

--------------------
doing okay!

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EMG's can be very painful and traumatic for adults. I can't imagine them being any less painful for kids.
Others will expand on their EMG experiences here, I'm sure...
Is there a pediatrician in your area with PANDA's expertise that can do an evaluation without an EMG?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

No one here is an expert on PANDAS.

I'm not convinced he has that. I feel he was hurt by a strong tincture.

What can you do with that?

surprise
Member # 34987

There is a huge support network in PA for PANS.

I'm not pushing PANS. I am not a Dr. (lol)

Just another Mom- and concerned for your son.

Has he never been on antibiotics?
Are you trying major liver detox?

That's it from me. If I can help in any way, just PM.
Good thoughts and prayers-----

--------------------
doing okay!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I will NEVER do another EMG. They can forget it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

u have all convinced me not to do an EMG.

Thanks for the insight-

2roads

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2roads - please read my post about those with sick kids....my kids have had similar symptoms and are BETTER now. I have been through PANDAS/PANS and have concluded based on my experience and that of many others that parasites are a major contributor.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two emg's. There are two kinds of needles. One is old and the needles feel like knitting needles being pushed into your skin. The newer ones feel like thin thumbtacks and compared to the old are much better but still painful.

I've been diagnosed with Lyme and Bartonella. I too have had spells of muscle jerks in my stomach and shoulders. The shoulders mostly happen at night. The stomach was different. A continuous jerking almost like a seizure.

--------------------
I'm not there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday.----
Lyme Band 31,41,58. Being treated for Lyme and Bartonella.

Posts: 149 | From Maine | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it meant getting a diagnosis and/or getting better I would still get an emg. I would find it incredibly traumatic to watch my child go through it though but we do what we have to, when we actually have to, to make our children healthy. I certainly would not do it if I didn't have to.

--------------------

Posts: 149 | From Maine | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Shiela .. I just had one last year. It was the electrical zaps that hurt, not the needles.

What could this child have that an EMG could find?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

2roads
Member # 4409

I went to a wedding today.

Ironically, I sat next to a young man that has the same condition as my son.

God works in strange ways.

I felt so alkward bringing it up.....imagine. Imagine that I would do that.

I guess I'm a desperate Mom.

I told him my little boy has jerks now, and if he notices if he does and if it bothers him.

How rude. I still can't believe I asked.

He said "no". I guess no meant he either didn't notice them, or they weren't bothering him.

Either way, same thing, I felt a little better.

I worry this is also a precursor now for Parkinsons.

surprise
Member # 34987

So, did the young man you sat next to have Tourette's syndrome?

--------------------
doing okay!

2roads
Member # 4409

Ddin't say.

I think he had not gotten it diagnosed.

The jerks were so light.

But very evident to me as I watched his body closely.

Two years of practice with my son.

surprise
Member # 34987

2roads, take this as you will, just a thought- usually I mind my own business, but when a child is suffering, hits home for me.

Instead of the Agrisept-L (grapefruit seed extract) being a tainted substance with toxic ingredients setting your son off,

what very well might have happened is that it opened up Lyme/ bacteria cysts (as GSE can do) flooding his body with bacteria,

with no other antibiotic to 'clean it up' or, setting off an autoimmune reaction called PANDAS/PANS.

This happened to my daughter during chelation years ago- on no antibiotics, and pulling the metals, which was bound with bacteria,

was too much for her body to handle (the bacteria, Lyme, strep) was there anyway, but,

we went into a tailspin of a horrible, frightening PANDAS episode.

Also, I didn't know 'what' OCD was for a long time. I thought it was someone obsessively washing their hands over and over again- no so-

Anyway, the Agrisept may have broke open cysts and released bacteria, that might be the regression.

My .02 cents.

--------------------
doing okay!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Rest your mind about the Parkinson's. It is about shaking, not tics.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks surprise, I always welcome 2 cents. I even welcome a ration of crap. So, your insight was appreciated. Honesty is the best policy. My mom used to say she'd take a thief over a liar any day.

I have kicked that possibility around, coupled with so many things such as the poor decision to mix it with an alcohol based enula then water, to GSE dose, to tainted bottle, to well, it's a tail spin.

I know I can't treat him with antibiotics. His liver and kidneys are not very strong. So, I'll never know if something expounded out of control, because I don't have the latittude to do anything, not to mention my husband might strangle me.

It,s been an unbearable almost 2 years now.

Thanks Tutu. I was hoping that one was far reaching, but if latent effects of chemicals may have caused this, only God knows what more I'm in for. Cancer, terratogenicity.

surprise
Member # 34987

Gosh, I'm just so sorry. I don't know all the background and details, obviously, but hopefully

you have a decent Pediatrician who can run blood tests to check liver and kidney status.

Sending prayers-------

--------------------
doing okay!

2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks [Frown]
surprise
Member # 34987

I hope you have taken him to a Pediatrician, and had this checked?

What are they saying about the uncontrolled movements, day and night? Tourette's?

The website/forum I PM'd you has papers you can print off to bring to a Pediatrician, as well as regular insurance covered Dr.s in your area that may help-

regardless of where your husband's at, surely he can see your son needs medical help/relief, at least.

Sorry---

--------------------
doing okay!

Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Lymetoo, that sounds more like and NCV. Stands for Nerve conduction study and is done with patches stuck on skin and electrodes. Shoots electrical impulses through you.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement