LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Urgent -pls Add your Voice to Medscape Debate re Borrelia & Alzheimer's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urgent -pls Add your Voice to Medscape Debate re Borrelia & Alzheimer's
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all

Following the publication of an article "Can Alzheimers be Prevented" on Medscape, there is a lively discussion ongoing in the Comments section there, to which Dr Alan Macdonald has contributed with examples of his evidence re Borrelia's role in Alzheimer's.

Medscape is an extremely important resource used by thousands of medical and healthcare professionals worldwide - so this is an excellent place to have this debate.

Please consider registering (it's free) and adding your support - there is plenty of material you could quote from the published papers of Drs Macdonald and Miklossy.

Dr Macdonald's website at www.alzheimerborreliosis.net abounds in microscopic images of Borrelia in Alzheimer diseased autopsy brain tissue, stained with SPECIFIC stains -therefore it can be nothing but BORRELIA.

To read the article and Comments:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806594_4

To join Medscape
https://profreg.medscape.com/px/registration.do?src=ban_acq_new_stm12

You can join as "other" if you are not a medical professional.

thanks for your support.
Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any comments on the article, no way to make any comments either... Don't know how come... [confused] [bonk]

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this link, which should lead you to the article. At the bottom of the article, I can see the phrase "100 comments".

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806594

If you click on that phrase, you should hopefully see Dr Macdonald's comments as well as mine and others in support of the Borrelia connections.

Others have said to me they can't get their comments up - please let me know what happens when you try. If there is some type of censorship going on we should challenge it - all types of people are being allowed to express all types of opinion on that forum, so there is ZERO justification for censoring a view for which there is hard scientific evidence.

Thanks.

Elena

quote:
Originally posted by Razzle:
I don't see any comments on the article, no way to make any comments either... Don't know how come... [confused] [bonk]

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

This is what I can see up there at the top of the Comments page at the moment:

"Newest | Oldest
Dr. Alan MacDonaldMD| Pathology 1 day ago

Link to images of Plaques in Alzheimer's disease hybridizing with Borrelia specific DNa Probe using

FISH technique

Link;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hts3vv7x3qmgg69/Lancet%20Submission%202005%20-%20-Final.pdf

Alan B. MacDonald MD FCAP ,FASCP

August 8 2013

Flag
Peter Kemp| Other Healthcare Provider 1 day ago

Aside from the excellence of this article and the many fascinating comments, 2 things really stood out for me. Firstly there is a great deal that clearly needs to be researched. Secondly, it is very difficult research and there seems to be a tendency to shun the challenges. This is a situation that is likely to lead to the temptation to draw convenient conclusions.

Trying to draw a connection between disease manifestation and past events, whether infection, injury or toxicity, poses problems. Statistics provide the temptation to draw conclusions, but actually only show trends. e.g., keeping mentally active reduces risk is a trend, it does not identify the cause nor cure. I know of 2 people in their 40's and 50's in very mentally stimulating jobs who rapidly deteriorated with Alzheimer's. Mental stimulation does not prevent Alzheimer's but there is a trend for it to improve the risk. The same can be said for almost every other theory of 'prevention'.

Dr MacDonald's and Dr Balin's observations about infection intrigue yet disturb me because they pose such enormous challenges. Do the medico-scientific community accept that the role of infection can only be explored by the dissection of generously donated brain tissue from patients that have died? Evidence has already accrued to suggest the possibility of a connection between infection and Alzheimer's yet the challenges in exploring this field are daunting.

Facing-up to such challenges will not be helped when much more convenient explanations are readily available, that is human nature. Therefore a crucial step (IMO) is a critical and objective analysis of precisely what is known. I think this article is a step in the right direction. At this point we do not need answers, we need the right questions and the will to follow them through.

Flag
Dr. Alan MacDonaldMD| Pathology 1 day ago

Infection of the brain terminates in General Paresis type dementia in 5% of patients with Tertiary neurosyphilis..

This prompted me to search for Borrelia in Alzheimer's autopsy brains, just as Dr Hideyo Noguchi did in 1913.

Over 30years I have studied the parallels between tertiary Neuroborreliosis and Tertiary Neurosyphilis.

Shared evidence of spirochetal infection include:

1. identification of pathogenic spirochetes in the areas of Alzheimer's brain tissue injury [Plaques and

granulovacuolar bodies.

2. Culture of autopsy Alzheimer's brains positive for borrelia spirochetes [ MacDonald JAMA 1986, Miklossy 1993}

3. Immunoreactivity of Alzheimer autopsy brain with monoclonal antibodies specific for borrelia demonstrating

borrelia spirochetes [ analogous positive silver stains with Levaditi method for Treponema palliduim

in General Paresis brains in 1913.

4, DNA probes with In situ DNA hybridization demonstrating the the Granulovacuolar bodies in Alzheimer's

are positive with DNA probes for borrelia specific Probes [FISH study published in Alzheimer's Disease and

Dementia year 2006]

5. DNA probes with in situ DNA hybridization demonstrating that the Alzheimer Plaques are reactive with

borrelia specific DNA probes.

6. PCR study of total DNA from Alzheimer's autopsy brain demonstrating portions of borrelia specific DNA

by nested PCR studies and subsequent DNA sequencing of the PCR products to prove that borrelia

specific DNA was amplified in 7 out of 10 Alzheimer's brains.

Dr Brian Ballin has found evidence incriminating infection with Chlamydia in select cases of Alzheimer's.

Others have incriminated Herpetic infection in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's.,although intra-nuclear

inclusions of herpes virus have never been seen in Alzheimer's disease.

Riviere and colleagues ave incriminated Oral Treponemes in select cases of Alzheimer's.

At the level of Silver stains, the Alzheimer plaques stained with silver exactly reproduce the morphology

of Alzheimer type silver stained argyrophilic Plaques.

The Evidence for borreliosis fulfills Koch's postulates one and Two to link and infectious agent with a

pathologic disease, and therefore appears to have the best clinical pathological correlation with

textbook accepted tissue injury patterns [ Plaques, GVB reactivity both reactive with Borrelia specific

DNA probes]. Cultivation of borrelia from frozen autopsy Alzheimer brain tissue offers another key piece

of evidence for an infection related pathogenesis for Alzheimer's disease, in the Tradition of Noguchi

and his proof of the Treponemal pallidum agent as the Etiology of General Paresis dementia.

Respectfully,

Alan B. MacDonald MD FCAP FASCP

August 9, 2013
Flag
Elena Cook 2 days ago

Brian Balin is correct - we should be looking at infection, especially as Borrelia bacteria have been found in Alzheimer brain tissue, identified by SPECIFIC techniques such as PCR and monoclonal antibodies. The location of the bacteria in Alzheimer autopsy hippocampus correlates with the plaques, which under the microscope resemble plaques in that other spirochaetal disease, neurosyphilis.

These findings were reported repeatedly by Dr Alan Macdonald (www.alzheimerborreliosis.net) and later confirmed by Dr Judith Miklossy in Switzerland. Researchers who claimed they were unable to repeat the work were searching only for "classic" spiral-shaped spirochaetes when in fact, Borrelia, like other spirochaetes, assumes different morphological forms - eg a round cystic form. These forms have been found in diseased Alzheimer tissue at the site of the neuronal injury (microscope images available at website of Dr Macdonald).

Judith Howell, oral spirochaetes of the genus Treponema have been found in Alzheimer brain tissue as well by Dr Miklossy.

Sadly the political issues round the subject of Lyme Borreliosis have hindered the ability of researchers such as Dr Macdonald and Dr Miklossy to get this vital information, which could potentially prevent millions from succumbing to the devastation of Alzheimer's, from getting the attention it deserves.

Elena Cook"

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Shiela
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not see a place to leave a comment either. This may be open only to professionals.

You can, however, leave a comment here if you are logged in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8tESJVvM88

--------------------
I'm not there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday.----
Lyme Band 31,41,58. Being treated for Lyme and Bartonella.

Posts: 149 | From Maine | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tracking protection enabled in my web browser, and I find it blocks all sorts of interesting things (some ads, etc.)...but I'm not willing to turn it off (security reasons).

So I still do not see the "100 Comments" or any comments or place to make comments. And I think it has to do with my security settings.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda13   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 friends who've been registered with medscape for years. Neither of them can see a comment box. They were both definitely logged in.

One of them thought it could be their computer settings so they asked another person to use her log in name and password from their different computer many miles away - only to discover that it wouldn't work from the different computer either.
The person who had tried my friend's details then used their own log-in details and they were able to see everything, i.e. all the comments and the invitation box to comment in.

To double check, this person gave their log-in details to my friend, and from her computer she was able to access the site OK in that person's name.

Doesn't that mean that this is not a software or server problem, but rather that certain accounts at medscape are being blocked?
But why?

Both friends have sent a query to medscape and are awaiting replies.

This is so strange.

Best wishes
A.

Posts: 180 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Dear friends

The mystery is solved, though probably not yet **re**solved.

My Medscape account, and that of at least one other member who contributed to the borrelia-Alzheimer discussion now going on was hacked. A spoof Medscape page was created so that it would appear to me as if everything was normal, when in fact my message had been removed.

The sad individual who did this eventually wrote an abusive message to me in which he inserted the phrase "For now" after the word "Nurse" below my name. (When you join, your profession shows up, generated spontaneously by the Medscape software.)

I take this to be a threat to attempt to have me removed from the register. I invite the perpetrator to go ahead. The registration authorities have been alerted and are looking forward to his communication.

The same disturbed person who did this, also tampered with a URL left by a contributor which led to a paper by Dr Miklossy. A semi-colon was added after ".html" so that the link would not work. It seems the moderators have now corrected this.

One other account was tampered with and a false name inserted pertaining to a probably-fictitious Iraqi doctor.

Very pathetic attempt to censor the connections between spirochaetes and dementia.
Elena Cook

quote:
Originally posted by Andromeda13:
I have 2 friends who've been registered with medscape for years. Neither of them can see a comment box. They were both definitely logged in.

One of them thought it could be their computer settings so they asked another person to use her log in name and password from their different computer many miles away - only to discover that it wouldn't work from the different computer either.
The person who had tried my friend's details then used their own log-in details and they were able to see everything, i.e. all the comments and the invitation box to comment in.

To double check, this person gave their log-in details to my friend, and from her computer she was able to access the site OK in that person's name.

Doesn't that mean that this is not a software or server problem, but rather that certain accounts at medscape are being blocked?
But why?

Both friends have sent a query to medscape and are awaiting replies.

This is so strange.

Best wishes
A.

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading about cytokines and the possibility that they may induce the errant plaque foldings that occur in Alzheimer disease.
I am also wondering about a genetic adaptation that has arisen in the Scandinavian countries that protects against Alzheimer disease and what implications it might have as protection against borrelia.

Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Do you have any links to this Scandinavian info? Thanks.
Elena

quote:
Originally posted by OtterJ:
I am also wondering about a genetic adaptation that has arisen in the Scandinavian countries that protects against Alzheimer disease and what implications it might have as protection against borrelia.

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement