LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zoloft and Herbs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zoloft and Herbs
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if its okay to take zoloft while taking tincture of teasel root and suma root? My homeopath doesn't know. I don't see why not but I figured I'd ask my fellow Lyme warriors in case there is a red flag with taking Zoloft with these herbs. Thanks!
Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is suma root?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Best to consult an ILADS educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor) or LL Acupuncturist (they are also trained in herbs).

I would not combine them. Still, if you are currently taking zoloft, best to have expert advice.

While suma root is an adaptogen, my concern with both the suma root and teasel is that both are in tincture form. I've taken both before. Suma is also called Pfaffia paniculata and I found it very relaxing. While a ginseng, it's more of an adaptogen than stimulating as some ginsengs can be.

But here's why I would not take the tincture and Zoloft unless guided by your LLMD or a LL ND - the alcohol in the tincture. Zoloft can be very hard on the liver / kidneys. Adding any alcohol, even if just a few drops, could have more of an effect than the herbal ingredients themselves.

The kind of alcohol in tinctures is especially strong, so it's not just the amount but the kind. Swirling in warm water can help (for root tincture, hot water can be used. If for above ground plant parts, warm water, not hot).

Still, my answer is also based on how horribly I reacted to zoloft many years ago when I tried it. So, I sort of recoil at the thought.

If your body is responding well to it, though, that might change things. It's just that the psycho-active drugs require such tender loving care of liver & kidneys that it is best to have counsel of an expert who can take into account YOUR particular body before adding anything new.

I know you may not have a LL ND where you live, still, you might seek out articles and books in the thread below that could lead you to the answer .

Rather than alcohol tincture forms of certain herbs, you might consider other herbs in raw/crude form or their stronger extracts - these do not involve alcohol. Still, it would be best to have a LL ND or LL Acupuncturists to guide you with the various options.

Some excellent articles and books in the set below.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

-----------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy);

D.C. (Doctor of Chiropractic);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Be aware that integrative doctors can have various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first. Some have learned on their own from experts in the field. There are many ways to acquire knowledge and most are eager to share basic details about their training. You want someone with a deep knowledge.

Some of the specialities above may not actually treat lyme yet, for things such as physical adjustments, it is just good that they are also LL, at least to some degree (to know never to suddenly twist the neck or spine).

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If these are homeopathic tinctures, then that would be a different story than if they are herbal tinctures.

Homeopathic tinctures rarely interact with medications, whereas herbal tinctures most certainly can interact with medications.

Ask your pharmacist about any potential interactions, if these are herbal tinctures...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I titled my post wrong... it is homeopathic ... I just thought they were the same, herbs and homeopathic.

However, the homeopathic "doctor" wants me to take all sorts of things so they could be herbal too.

But because I have a lot of mental symptoms from Lyme and Bart, I cannot do much about being on Zoloft.

This is frustrating because I am not getting well like I should with modern medicine but now I have this problem of possible interactions with my antidepressant and herbs/homeopathy.

Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this helps at all, but my first 18 months of treatment, I was on Celexa (SSRI) both my LLMD's knew,

and I took all kinds of herbs, homeopathic drainage remedies, antibiotics, and tinctures.

I'm off the SSRI now. As far as homeopathic remedies, it's my understanding coffee and mint may cancel out their effectiveness.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Teasel and Suma are herbal tinctures, not homeopathic.

Yes, various kinds of supplements can be incorporated with Rx. It's just that it a call that should be made by a professional with adequate education and who knows YOUR body.

If you would be taking a couple drops (always in at least 1/2 cup of water), that would not be as much of a concern as with a couple dropperfuls several times a day as some of these can work up to.

You need a naturopathic doctor (ND) with a broader educational base and one who is ILADS educated is best. Someone who is a "homeopath" is not likely a naturopathic doctor. Whereas, a ND can also have some training in homeopathics, as part of their education.

Yes, some herbal tinctures and some homeopathic tinctures can be part of a program that includes zoloft. It's just best to be guided by someone with the best education base.

While some homoepaths are schooled beyond just homeopathics, some are not. Some are very limited. And with lyme being so very complex, that limitation is - well - just too narrow for our needs. that yours say they just do not know indicates you need a professional with a broader base.

And, I know that's not always possible or affordable so we find others along the way who can help, however that may be.

Others here may have a better answer, too. The books and articles in that link by LL authors will likely provide more insight if you can't access a LL ND or someone of equal criteria who can see you in person and get to know your body, your reactions, your needs. Then, they will most certainly by able to say which Rx can blend with which supplements.

In the meantime, the herbs you mentioned do not have properties that are unique to herbal tinctures. There are other herbs with similar properties but are not in tincture form. The alcohol in tincture form is a concern for someone on certain drugs.

Other herbs, in powder form (raw/crude or extract) should be far less problematic for therapeutic doses for someone on a Rx that affects the liver such as zoloft.

Regarding Teasel, there are many herbs similar in nature that are not limited to alcohol tincture form.

For Suma, I would look at the Adrenal Support herbs. Most do not require tincture form.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not at all about lyme, still one of the best reference books on the planet. See the left side menu with "Herbal Basics":

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

THE ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tillotson, et.al.)
-

lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Thanks Keebler. I really appreciate it.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm really sorry that I'm not comfortable saying, "sure, go for it."

If there is no way to secure a LL ND, I would be more comfortable suggesting starting low and slow with something like Berberine in the place of Teasel - and Holy Basil capsules (or Tulsi tea) in place of Suma - just not alcohol tinctures.
-

lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Oh yes, I understand. Now with the teasel root it's only 1 drop per day. I think the Zuma root is 10 drops 2x per day. I'll see if I can find a LL ND around my area.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, (as long aw you are not taking flagyl or it generic) one drop a day should be fine - in a half glass of water. But even one drop of teasel can knock one on their behind so the herx is still going to be a little bit of a kick to the liver.

Be sure there is good liver support on board.

Zuma ? with a "Z"? before you wrote "Suma" - Hmmm? I've been focused on Suma (Pfaffia paniculata). I only found one reference for a Zuma root but suspect it's a matter of Google just jumbling words and it was just a typo. But have to stop. Still, that's more alcohol than someone without training who does not know your case would be comfortable suggesting.
-

lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

It's Suma... blame it on Lyme brain.
Thanks for your help. And thanks for the heads up on teasel root possibly knocking me on my butt with a herx. OY! lol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement