LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Smart Meters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smart Meters
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here have a home with Smart Meters that the electric company can read without coming to your home?

We are thinking about moving from our home in the country to an 'over 55' condo to simplify our lives. I have unfortunately created gardens all over my yard that require constant upkeep and I am so afraid of getting re-infected. I am also worn out from all the work of keeping up my home and yard.

It seems most of the condos have the smart meters. I have read that the EMF radiation is dangerous and it can also worsen your tinnitus and neurological symptoms if you have a neurological disease. I pray this is not the case.

Wondering what my options are at this point. If I were to call the electric company and ask that they give me an old fashioned meter, if all of my neighbors have the smart meters, that probably defeats the purpose. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my humble opinion, the smart meters actually produce less EMF than the older old mechanical meters.

I won't give too much away here but I work with meters of all types all the time, and the older versions are the ones that "chatter". They were obviously always "on", as are the new meters.

The time that the smart meter will transmit a signal is when it is time to take a reading.

Otherwise, your smart meter won't be constantly sending out or receiving signals.

In my province, they still don't remotely "scan" the smart meter.

If you use a cordless phone, Wifi, or your cellphone, those, imho, will likely be a greater danger than the emf from the smart meter.

And don't get me wrong-I completely believe EMF is a real and present danger.

I just wanted to put in into context.

I understand your reason for wanting to move. I've quit gardening for fear of being rebitten.

It's a shame when we stop doing the things we love for fear of a new tick bite.
But I won't be gardening any time soon, I can tell you.

Best wishes

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add that it may be likely that your neighbours in a condo will have cordless phones, wifi etc.

It worries me all the time that a neighbour may have their "office" next to where I sleep.

In condo/apartment buildings, we are being bombarded constantly with signals.

I am looking into getting some EMF netting for my bed, so I can have a safe place free from wifi when I sleep.

In my building, all the meters are housed in the same room. (not near apartments)

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're all going to have them sooner or later. Just move.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what they call them, but the electric company reads it without coming inside. Guess that would be considered a "smart meter" lol.

I so relate to creating gardens all around the property and not being able to keep up with maintaining them as well as the home in general.

I too stopped gardening awhile back. I am terrified of getting re-bitten. It's ashame that we've had to stop activities that were once considered enjoyable. But I've decided the risk just isn't worth it.

I'm years away from a 55+ condo living scenario, but it does sound very appealing, especially from a property-maintenance point of view.

My biggest concern is that I wouldn't want to be surrounded just by old/older folks eventhough I'd be one!

Then again, I have NO tolerance for undisciplined, rowdy children running rampant all over the place.

Never gave much thought as to where I sleep from the point of view of EMFs. Never thought about being away from wifi when I sleep either...my phone sleeps next to me.

I think I'm at a point where I can just worry about so much and let the rest of it go.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. Greta, it is good to hear your viewpoint on the meters. Maybe things have been blown out of proportion on them.

It is not an easy decision to make emotionally. We have lived here 20 years and I will be leaving a lovely, private, but high maintenance property for a condo. The over-55 thing is a little scary... but we are both there.

It will be a lot closer to my mother, who I take to medical appointments. So hopefully, the quality of our lives will improve in many ways. I am apprehensive and anxious about it right now. But I know this is a normal reaction to such a big lifestyle change.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought. If you are looking for a condo, the meters are usually grouped together on one wall - they are designed that way here anyway. Try not to buy the one with the smart meter bank on an adjoining wall.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At our new house, they put the smart meter on a post away from the house.

It is at least 50 ft away from the opposite end of the house where our bedroom is.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to refuse a smart meter, so still have the old analog one. When I tested it with an emf meter, it maxed out the reading. Yet when I put it near my neighbors smart meter it is lower. Always wondered about that...
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Tampa they transmit signals about every 3 seconds. In theory they can be designed to send signals out less frequently, and perhaps it is being done this way in some places, but as I understand it, most uses these days the smart meters transmit "all the time" (or every few seconds). I know Tampa because I have a meter that measures what they do.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

I have been reading some alarming stuff on these meters. I am still not sure what I am going to do. Hopefully, I won't regret any decision I make to either stay here or move. Thanks for the info.

Where do you get those meters to measure the transmission?

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we just got notice that we will be receiving one, too. Our present meter is below our bedroom window. With all the cell phones, computers, microwave towers, airports, it's something we just can't avoid. What about people who work in hospitals with all that gadgetry? The sun has flares and emits radiation, too.

Probably it's best not too worry too much about it.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gagamooppop
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gagamooppop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some good products and ideas at http://lessemf.com/smart.html

When I saw the Klinghardt video on EMF's and smart meters just decided to change things up...doesn't hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_wxM6IAF1I

A little lengthy but I found it totally informative.

Since then I set up a hard-wired network in the house and turn on the wifi when needed, but mostly it is switched off.

Also got rid of all the cordless phones.

Sure, a little extreme, but anything to feel better and I will say I did notice I slept 'deeper' when these things were changed.

Again, not a 'cure' but I don't think it hurts to try and expose ourselves to less EMF's and such.

Posts: 183 | From ... | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gagamooppop
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gagamooppop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is the gauss meter I bought to measure things around the house, especially where we sleep at night

http://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378344965&sr=8-3&keywords=gauss+meter

Good to click on the amazon link here at LymeNet this way this amazing website gets some support and you get a great product.

Posts: 183 | From ... | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gagamooppop
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34314

And this is the gauss meter I bought to measure things around the house, especially where we sleep at night

http://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378344965&sr=8-3&keywords=gauss+meter

Good to click on the amazon link here at LymeNet this way this amazing website gets some support and you get a great product.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Thanks for that link gagamooppop. I think it might be a good investment to help us make our decision. I had seen that Dr. K video before and it was overwhelming for me.

I felt as though I would need to live in a cave to get better. But as a result of watching that, we turn off our Wifi at night and got rid of our cordless phones as well.

I just looked at some of the reviews for the gauge and they were really good. I think I am going to purchase this!

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We thought about doing the same thing (moving), but that won't stop a utility company. You could give some of your plants away and put lawn in. It might be cheaper than paying realtor commissions.

We realized that we couldn't do much yard work either (can't get bit anymore), so we figured paying someone to mow the lawn every week, and weed/prune twice a year was less expensive than paying a fortune to a realtor. I'm a gardner at heart, so I still sometimes dress up like a bee keeper (lol), tuck my socks in my long pants, tuck my shirt in and wear a hat, gloves, long sleeves and weed a little.

Fortunately, we have enough land that we are far enough from our neighbors. This is what keeps us from moving to a condo or townhouse (EMF's from their stuff). We started unplugging our wifi at night and have been sleeping better ever since. It has given us a much deeper sleep. My husband was shocked. He thought it was all bunk until he started sleeping like a rock.

You might be safer out in the country. The utility companies seem to hit the cities first. Then, one by one, they infiltrate a state, and slowly they are able to force it on the rest of the public. Californians were smart to insist they have the right to deny smart meters. They did the right thing. They have to pay a fee, which is ridiculous, but still, they have the option. I'm sure eventually someone is going to sue the utility companies over this.

There are studies (regardless of what anyone says) that show these things are really bad for people with health issues. They also invade our privacy. They are able to determine at any time how many people are in the house. Great for burglars who know how to get this info as well.

I think it is really important for everyone to contact their state legislature and tell them you don't want smart meters. Demand it. Lyme patients don't need this crap. Also let your city know you don't want them either (very important). The utility companies approach the cities first.

[ 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Catgirl ]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a trifield meter which can measure magnetic(emfs), electric and radio/microwaves. I bought it on amazon.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement