LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pantethine for inflammation and candida?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pantethine for inflammation and candida?
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl posted this in another thread and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I did a quick search and it sounds like it could be an amazing supplement to help with all sorts of things... her is what Catgirl posted

"And from another source comes another connection -- from Dr. Robert Atkins' newsletter:

Dr. Atkins is writing about Pantethine which he prescribes to his Crohn's Disease and Colitis patients, with

acknowledgement to Dr. Melvin Werbach for Dr. Werbach's study that demonstrated that people with colitis have markedly

decreased Coenzyme A activity if the mucosal surface of their colons, even when the blood levels of pantothenic acid are normal.

Dr. Atkins concluded, based on his success with these patients of his, that Pantethine bypasses the block in converting Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) to Coenzyme A.

But also, that Pantethine is a growth factor for lactobacillus bulgaricus and bifidobacterium that we know help control yeast overgrowth (and Dr. Cooter also speaks of it in his book).

Candida, according to antibody studies done at the Atkins Center, is involved in more than 80 percent of all cases of Crohn's and Colitis.

And for autoimmune problems, Dr. Atkins states, " For all conditions that a doctor might prescribe prednisone --

allergies, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, and olther autoimmune diseases, pantethine can be safely, effectively substituted.

I routinely use it for all of those conditions on hundreds of my patients, and it's valuable in weaning them off steroidal drugs, or certainly in allowing a lower dose....

By upping body levels of a body enzyme, pantethine counteracts brain fog, certain allergic sensitivities, and some consequences of alcoholism. (And here it is --) ...

In people with candidiasis, the enzyme fights off a toxic byproduct called acetaldehyde, which is thought to cause brain

fog, often-suffered but rarely diagnosed.... Acetaldehyde also is suspected of being responsible for some symptoms of alcoholism, including alcoholic heart muscle disease.

The pantethine-stimulated enzyme also detoxifies formaldehyde, an all too frequent offender for chemically sensitive individuals."

In summary, Dr. Atkins is saying that Pantethine, without toxic consequences, can reduce cholesterol, counuteract oxidation,

stimulate the growth of friendly bacteria, and fight allergies, inflammation, autoimmune disruptions, and alcoholism.

In case you wondered, Dr. Cooter and Dr. Schmtt suggest 300 micrograms of Molybdenum in three divided doses per day,

and further suggests staying on it for at least 4 months.. Dr. Atkins suggests 450 to 900 miligrams daily of Pantethine with an equal amount of Pantethenic Acid."

as well as this link

http://www.coenzyme-a.com/candida_aldehyde_detox_pathway_article.html

some links I found...

http://www.drlam.com/opinion/pantothenic_acid_and_pantethine.asp

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/pantethine.htm

http://nutrientsearch.com/Nutrients/Pantethine_pantothenic_acid.html

as I constantly resist the urge to ask for prednisone for my many inflammatory issues... this certainly caught my eye.

anyone else have info or experience using this? t

[ 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Kudzuslipper ]

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a lot of information on the Dr. Lam site.
On page 2 it says this:

"Pantethine is also well known for its effectiveness in reducing total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride level, while at the same time raising the good HDL cholesterol.

Pantothenic acid, on the other hand is ideal for enhancing adrenal functions and reducing reliance on steroids. It also reduces elevated uric acid levels frequently associated with gout and reduces inflammatory response. Sometimes, it can be used as substitute for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs."

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to bump this up... It seemed like it could be important. What do y'all think? Anyone taking it?
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take pantethine because I read it helps blown out adrenals-

I'll be honest, I don't think it does a darn thing for yeast -
Biotin B vitamin, however, does help it.

I haven't noticed any kind of wow improvement factor with it personally, sorry- and my cholestyrol is normal/ fine to begin with-

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey you guy's,,,anybody mention breaking up sentences more?

For some of us this large block, with no spacing I's very difficult.

[Eek!] or spell well or relay thoughts etc

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used pantothentic acid for my adrenals and gout and it always has helped. I am still mixing 1000-1500mg in with my antiparasitic herbs. When I had burning toes and I took a few caps, it relieved it almost immediately.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, please break it up more.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Rice Yeast Vs. Pantethine to Lower Cholesterol

By Christie Bailey, eHow Contributor
Red yeast and pantethine are two dietary supplements that have been found to be effective in lowering cholesterol levels.

While both products are relatively safe and free of side effects, some controversy surrounds the use of red yeast because it naturally contains the compound that makes up lovastatin, a prescription drug.

Definitions

Lipids: Fats. These include cholesterol, steroids, triglycerides and fatty acids.

Cholesterol: A steroid produced by the body and acquired through the diet. It plays an important role in maintaining the structure of cell walls. It is also required for the synthesis of other steroid hormones and some fat-soluble vitamins.

Cholesterol is a vital substance in the body that is needed for life; however, the body creates all that it needs so it is not necessary to have it in your diet.

LDL: Low-density lipoprotein. A molecule that carries cholesterol into the cells of the body. It is known as "bad cholesterol" because its increased levels are linked with heart disease.

HDL: High-density lipoprotein. A molecule that carries cholesterol away from the cells of the body and back to the liver, where it can be broken down or used for important functions.

It is known as "good cholesterol" because its increased levels are thought to protect the body from heart disease.

Triglyceride: This fatty substance makes up animal fats and vegetable oils.

Red Yeast:
According to "Natural Standard" by Catherine Ulbricht and Ethan Basch, red yeast has been used medicinally in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries and has appeared more recently in a number of cholesterol-lowering dietary supplements.

However, it was originally developed as a food in Asian countries. It is produced by growing the yeast Monascus purpureus on rice. (This "red yeast rice" looks like fat, red grains of rice.)

One of the substances it contains, monacolin K, is the compound that makes up lovastatin, a prescription drug. Because it naturally contains this drug, red yeast products have been the center of some dispute, including a case with the FDA. According to "Natural Standard," it has been found effective in lowering total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Pantethine:

Pantethine is a compound that is related to Vitamin B5. It is a precursor to Coenzyme A, which is vital in many metabolic functions, including the breakdown and creation of lipids.

According to the monograph on pantethine that was published in 1998 in the Alternative Medicine Review, pantethine dietary supplement gradually lowers the "bad" lipids (LDL cholesterol and triglyceride) while increasing the "good" lipid, HDL cholesterol.

Side Effects:

Side effects of red yeast seem to be minimal. Because it naturally contains the compound that makes up lovastatin, some of the side effects may be the same as those of the prescription drug, including muscle pain and gastrointestinal upset. According to "Natural Standard," people with liver problems should not use products containing red yeast.

According to the pantethine monograph by the Alternative Medicine Review, pantethine appears to be almost completely free of side effects. Occasionally, it may cause gastrointestinal upset.

http://www.ehow.com/print/about_5436115_red-vs-pantethine-lower-cholesterol.html

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Thank you all for the response. Glad to hear real use responses. My cholesterol is fine too.

I am most interested in the anti-inflammatory claims... So glad to hear Gael that it helps with burning toes...

I can't do curcumin it made me markedly worse on repeated trials... So the alternative to prednisone caught my eye...

Broke up the first post. [Smile]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, kudzu! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks to all for this nice thread, solid links, interesting stuff. Here's a bit more:

Pantethine, a derivative of vitamin B(5)

PubMed Search of medical literature:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Pantethine

Pantethine - 207 abstracts

Pantethine, cholesterol - 47 abstracts

Pantethine, adrenal - 10 abstracts

Pantethine, inflammation - 4 abstracts

One from that last set of particular note:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18195363

Protection against cerebral malaria by the low-molecular-weight thiol pantethine.

(Authors listed at link above. France. 2008.)

Excerpt: . . . Therefore, trials of pantethine treatment in adjunctive therapy for severe malaria are warranted.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Just want to report I have taken a half dose of pantethine and pantathoic acid for a month. 450mg each. (They say 900 is the dose)

I still feel the same. But my inflammation levels tested normal as compared to 6 weeks ago when they were very high. I am really not doing anything else new.

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for sharing! I will ask my LLNP about this at my next visit. Like you curcumin makes me worse.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Dr. Atkins book on supplements instead of drugs is actually a really good read. Some info may be dated as it was written some years back. He was so ahead of himself in so many ways.
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sure was ahead of his time. It's a pity he didn't live to see many of his ideas embraced and was blacklisted as a quack and had his medical license revoked several times. But, he fought back and established a really great medical center and really lead the way for integrative medicine.

I was a patient of his way back. Some of his favorite supplements were Panthethine, taurine and quercetin as I remember and, of course, probiotics.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

just wanted to post this book-- if anyone is interested. I got the kindle version...not nicely laid out-- so you may prefer an actual book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-Vita-Nutrient-Solution-ebook/dp/B004PYDAW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382637517&sr=8-1&keywords=atkins+supplement+books

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Very promising. Where are you buying your pantethine? Taking Vit B5 is not the same?

What symptoms are worse when you take curcumin, Ellen and Kudzu?

I followed Dr Atkins diet many years ago.. maybe 13-14 yrs. I never felt better. I knew he was RIGHT!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Hey Tutu. Curcumin made me ache all over even more than I do daily. I tried it several times-- so know it was a direct result.

read some of the links above about the B5 vs pantethine-- i sometimes don't get the exact reasoning of med lingo... but here is the basics from above

"Dr. Atkins concluded, based on his success with these patients of his, that Pantethine bypasses the block in converting Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) to Coenzyme A.

But also, that Pantethine is a growth factor for lactobacillus bulgaricus and bifidobacterium that we know help control yeast overgrowth (and Dr. Cooter also speaks of it in his book). "

mind you I still feel like I have inflammation as I ache all over. but number were very high... and now their not. the other interesting thing is... my lyme titer (which I know means nothing) was also high 6 weeks ago and now it is negative.

I need to check my appts and see if 6 weeks ago I had blood drawn during my usual flare. and this time perhaps it was not during my flare.

does anyone know do inflammation markers like CRP and sed rate fluctuate so anyway?

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too took high dose pantethine for a while a few years ago to try to help my adrenals. I wasn't clear that it was doing anything, so stopped it after a few months.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks... I found this:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-pantethine-300-mg-60-sgels

kudzu.. I don't think sed rate and CRP change a lot but I could be wrong. I think the sed rate would be the more likely to change than the CRP.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Oh yes. I meant to say...I'm using jarrow pantethine and twin labs panathoenic acid. I have good luck with jarrow. I just picked them up at th local vitamin shoppe... All the articles say to get the anti-inflammatory effect you need to take both the pantethine and pantothenic acid 450 of each twice a day. I've just been taking one dose in the am though.

I just wish I could have someone make me a custom vitamin that had everything in one or two pills.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yeah, I'm taking far too many supplements. Sigh.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement