LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Coartem...meh.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coartem...meh.
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did my round of Coartem. 8 pills/day x 3 days.

Day one was good. Herxy, then some much improved energy and mental clarity. Actually quite good after the herx.

Days two and three were less herxy, but good days.

Then I took four more days off meds, though I did continue some herbs.

Now I can't wait to get back on meds. Will start today.

As a solo therapy, I would need to take this med consistently.

I know some are adding lower doses to their regular protocols. I think that would work better for me, as I need high-dose Babs/Proto/whatever coverage at all times. I am still a fast relapser.

Anyone else on Coartem?

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BoxerMom.

I was waiting for you to let us know when you started.

I started on Sept 21 and posted in your "long term babs fighters" thread to try to keep it current.

I'm 5 days in on 7 days off, and start a second 5 day round on Wednesday, then take 7 more days off before starting a new protocol based on how I feel.

Today was the first day since even way before starting treatment that my feet were not tingling or sore upon awaking and walking to the shower. The tingling just started to return within the past hour, but that's progress.

Do you want to continue Coartem discussions there?
I'll be looking for advice from the gang on my next round of ABX, based on remaining sx.

later

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Babsesia thread got really long.

How are you dosing Coartem? I like the Coartem, just not the breaks!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

BoxerM

I take 2 Coartem pills twice a day for 5 days, then 7 days off, and repeat another 5 days on, 7 off.

Did you stop taking GSE while on the Coartem?
I did, but tried 10 drops yesterday, and up'ed it to 15 drops this am. I'll stop GSE again while taking Coartem, but may ramp back up quicker when 5 days are done. I was at 25 drops twice a day last month.

After that I want to do a round of Parastroy and re-start Salt/C. I have some Diflucan left over and may want to do for one week before starting any new ABX protocol. My LLMD had discussed Rifampin/Mino/Plaquinel to see if Bart was hanging out with my Babs.

I need to also decide when to phase back Cat's Claw and Crypto/Sida/Alchornia blend. But will cross that bridge later.

gmb

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor had me on a rotating type protocol for Babs. And yes, Coartem was part of it.

For me, I do think it got me one step closer to long term remission, but it was many rounds of that along with Mepron and Zith with artemsia and cryptoliptus (ex sp) and also wound down with malarone. There were others, but I'd have to go back to my journal.

Still though, I know that coartem can be a rough one but for me, it was all part of the final result. Good luck to you.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

I finished my second 5 day round of Coartem on 10/6. I had some good days with better focus, reduced head pressure, and reduced neuroprophy in my feet. Nothing major, but I am suppose to take another 7 days off before re-starting ABX.

I did start to ramp back Salt/C and GSE on Monday. And Tuesday I started to ramp Colloidal Silver 1/2 tsp 2x/day. I've noticed some return of neuroprophy since starting the silver and worked up to 1 tsp this am.

On Friday I'll add a week of Diflucan before starting Parastroy. By then, if all goes OK, (I don't know what that means... I haven't seen OK in a long time) I bring back Buhner's CSA blend, Cat's Claw and for the first time try Japanese Knotweed, before returning to an ABX regimen.

My LLNP will be at the ILADS conference next week and hopefully will have something new to share at my next appointment in mid-November.

Don't want to change the Coartem thread so I'll follow-up posts in one of the babs topics.

later

gmb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement