LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Most mild-tasting (or tasteless?) formula to aid with severe reflux?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most mild-tasting (or tasteless?) formula to aid with severe reflux?
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a VERY mild treatment for severe reflux?

The coating of pills (L-glutamine, for example) has even become a problem, and so, taking something in a powder mix (with water) form is far better for me (yes, I have considered dumping the contents of things like L-glutamine into water). The problem is, is that, the things that I have tried in powder form are all flavored (licorice, orange, chocolate, etc.), and right now, even those flavorings CAUSE more reflux. I have used powdered products from OrthoMolecular and Xymogen.

I am desperate...of course have been staying away from any reflux inducing food/drink offenders, and have had to resort to Zantac. Tums and Pepto are of no help, and I hope to avoid having to return to the PPI drugs (i.e. Rx Omeprazole and the like) which I had to be on consistently for 4+ years due to my 'laryngopharyngeal reflux' (and a lot of other related crap) diagnosis. And the PPI's can be awful for some Lymies as well. Myself included.

Any advice on a product that might help coat my poor digestive tract (esophagus, larynx, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, all!
Told you...

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thayer's slippery elm lozenges help soothe the throat/esophagus and last time I used them, they were fairly tasteless.

That said, my reflux is generally caused by exposure to sulfites...so you may need to consider the possibility of allergy or sensitivity to something you are exposed to on a regular basis (e.g., gluten, GMO's, preservatives, etc.) as a cause of your reflux.

Flavorings are often loaded with all sorts of things including hidden dairy, gluten and/or corn. Sulfites are also often hidden in flavorings.

For me, Molybdenum and methylcobolamin (Methyl-B12) plus a Tums will stop the reflux from sulfites.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle,

This is all great info. Thank you so much!

Yes- I have developed multiple allergies over the course of many years (even prior to treatment, therefore ruling out the blame on 'solely' leaky-gut).

I have eliminated so many things from my diet due to these issues, but of course, could always do better. I'm finding that even a 80-90% reduction in 'intolerances' (as opposed to true allergens) is simply not enough.

Sigh.

Will be working with a supposed great integrative/holistic nutritionist, soon, who will hopefully be able to further help me sort out all of these seemingly related issues.

It definitely sounds like you can relate, and have had your share of issues with just such a problem. Seems like you have been able to make good headway with these nuisances.

Again, your help is most appreciated!

Best to you,
Told you...

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many cases of reflux are caused by microbes in the stomach and esophagus. Some people who use MMS have reported a cure of reflux. Other causes are hiatial hernia, a harder fix requiring surgery, but for my sister in law it was well worth it, going form 6 pills of antacids a day to zero.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an answer to your question. But as I understand it, reflux is often because we are not producing enough hydrochloric acid to break down and digest the food...so it sits there and ferments and releases gases that travel back up our esophagus. I would suggest taking digestive enzymes and HCL with every meal. Start out slowly, then build up. I bet it will help you.

Wishing you well,
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Carmen- thank you so much for the tip re: MMS. I have heard about its success with malaria (and potentially Babesia), but, honestly, haven't done much in the way of investigating beyond that. The hiatal hernia is interesting, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised with all of my mild degnerative disease in my vertebrae (confirmed through a c-spine MRI some 9 years ago, now). My mother-in-law had this same surgery performed...guess that it's time to pick her brain a little! Again, I really appreciate the helpful advice. [Smile]

Tammy- I am very pleased to consider the angle you offered up, as well. I had been on serrapeptase for a while (although- more for the benefit of keeping cysts/biofilm at bay), but, eventually, let that treatment slide a little. I wonder which digestive enzymes you would specifically recommend? I have never heard of people dosing hydrochloric acid. Is that considered relatively safe/benign? And again, what are the forms of that that people actually find helpful? Might you recommend a brand, or whatever? Your information is definitely encouraging, and I am very eager to learn a little bit more about it. Thank you, as well, for such great help!

Best to both of you!
Told you...

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to take a little zinc with the enzymes if they contain HCl. From what I've heard, zinc helps to prevent damage to the lining of the stomach.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Oh, geez, Razzle...that seems important to know! Which, of course, I did not! Hmmm...does my serrapeptase have HCl in it, and I wasn't even aware of that?

Good gravy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement