LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Psychological Herx from Cowden Herbs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Psychological Herx from Cowden Herbs
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm changing my protocol. I have been doing Banderol (20x2) Samento (20x2) Cumanda (15x2) Elecampane (20x2) A-BAB (10x2). A variation of this combo brought me back from being completely unable to get up a few weeks ago (5 weeks after stopping abx). Then I started herxing........I think.

Last week through today has been rough. I've been very emotional, having headaches, fever, extreme hunger, heart palpitations, more near-fainting than usual, water retention, tremor, severe depression, anxiety, hopelessness, etc. I'm pretty sure it's herxing because the type of depression I'm having is uncharacteristic for me. It's something I've had this severely only a few other times (shortly after starting various antibiotics).

I get to the point that I don't want to do ANYTHING to treat Lyme anymore. I literally give up and want to treat everything symptomatically because I feel like no Lyme treatment helps me improve, it only keeps me from worsening. That type of attitude isn't normal for me either. I don't quit easily.

Tomorrow I think I'm cutting way back on what I'm taking. I normally never have to back down. I've been on HEAVY oral abx and I always push through the herxing. This time I just feel like it's too much. It's breaking me down physically and emotionally but I don't want to stop too much and allow my symptoms to progress permanently again. I think I'll go back to Quina (30x2) and stick with A-BAB (10x2) and Enula (20x2).

In a few weeks I plan on trying the other things again. I ordered the month 3 package of the Cowden protocol which will be Banderol/Cumanda/Mora/Samento. I also ordered A-BART. This time I'll have all the Cowden detox tinctures to help out also.

Has anyone else reacted like this to herbs? I normally don't react at all. I can't tell if this is just my normal symptoms intensifying naturally or a definite herx. At the time that I started herbs I was in VERY bad shape and couldn't move. I was worried that I was going to end up hospitalized. I no longer have a LLMD so I started herbs strongly on my own after researching as a last resort. A strong combo definitely helped me get out of bed and closer to my "typical" level, but the downside is that I don't know which herbs are causing herxing or side effects.

When I was on antibiotics, week 2 of starting something new would bring improvement and by week 3 I'd be severely herxing. With herbs, my severe herx seemed to appear earlier in week 2.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you are going through a tough herx like that.

I haven't taken many herbs for lyme, but when I have taken curcurmin in the past it has given me awful psych side effects.

I believe that herbs (no science here, just me a layman), have different mechanisms of action on bacteria and parasites than abx.

So I wonder if the body and brain respond differently.

Hang in there, you're doing great! You're very brave!

Many hugs.

Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We find it helpful to take breaks one or two days a week, using only knotweed for inflammation for those 1-2 days. Our daughter gets down to an amazing baseline during the days off, and if the herx doesn't resume too badly with the next round, we know it's time to increase the herbals.

We discovered pulsing when using tindamax. She just wasn't able to use it continuously. So we used 3 days on 4 days off. Each successive herx would be smaller than the one before, so we knew we were on the right track.

We are doing the same with A-Bart right now, but with 5 days on, 2 days off.

I figure that if she gets to a good baseline on the days off, the symptoms we are seeing for the rest of the week are herxes. If symptoms didn't decrease to a baseline on off days, I would suspect a relapse.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I was pretty shocked by this level of herxing and the fact that it was delayed and started slightly after week 2 (day 16) seems to indicate that it was probably definite herxing and not side effects.

I had a very bad night which is continuing so I decided I'm definitely going to back down to A-Bab/Quina/Enula until the full protocol month 3 (which includes detox tinctures) arrives. I did okay on Quina the first time I took it about 2.5 weeks ago. I think the ones that are the main problem for me are Samento/Cumanda/Banderol.

This is the first time that I've had to cut back from herxing. I was able to tolerate all abx (even Flagyl daily). On most abx I'd get very clear herxing, but never to the point that I was completely unable to handle it like recently with these herbs. My opinion of herbs is changing................I didn't think they were strong, but I'm actually glad to see that they appear to be affecting me somehow. I was worried that nothing was absorbing in my system.

[ 10-14-2013, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Summer3 ]

--------------------

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer, I suspect that you are just taking too many antimicrobials at once. All those herbals can produce a herx individually and there really is no virtue in trying to rush things.

You could split your herbs into three lots for rotation instead of the two you are trying at present, so one pair could be Samento and Banuderol, since that is a well-tested partnership and a key pairing on Cowden. Banderol and Cumanda in particular of the Cowden ones can be difficult to tolerate at first, so i would divide them into different rotation pairs. Perhaps you should leave using the A-Bab until you tolerate the Cowden herbs.

Sometimes people who are used to taking antibiotics only (ie not antimicrobial herbs) are frightened that herbs will be weaker and therefore they try using more of them at a time.....that may be fine if they are not all strongly antimicrobial, but too many can pack too much of a punch and overload your detox organs.

Whatever the reason, hope you pick up soon.

[ 10-14-2013, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: ukcarry ]

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Thanks. I agree UKcarry. I was very worried that herbs would not be strong enough to prevent progression so I jumped in to as many as I could at once. I had no problem tolerating very strong combos of oral abx, and in the past I never reacted at all to herbs so I thought I'd be alright.

As soon as I upped my dose to 30 drops, I was having severe issues. I cut back now to Enula/A-Bab/Quina. I will start the real protocol Month 3 with detox which consists of Banderol/Samento for several weeks and then Samento/Cumanda/Mora as soon as I recover some strength.

--------------------

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many don't believe that herbs are as powerful and effective as antibiotics but in many cases they are more powerful. My family started with antibiotics and couldn't get well so we switched to herbs and finally started herxing and then got better. I was amazed and wished I had started with herbs, which are much easier on your body (if you go slowly!).

One of our practitioners uses mostly just Samento, Cumanda and burbur to treat lyme, ehrlichia and bartonella, and Agristept-L (GSE) to treat babesia. She is very successful but also treats parasites. I think you are taking way too many killing agents and are hitting the lyme and bart too hard. Our practitioner starts with 1 drop twice/day for Samento and moves up a drop per day. For Cumanda, she starts at 2 drops/day and moves up slowly from there. She only uses banderol when people don't respond to Cumanda, which is rare.

Hope this helps!
tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, Summer. If you have a day by day chart for Cowden, you will see that, once rotations start, you have those 36 hours between rotations each time in which you take only the detox stuff....ie that I mentioned to you on another post. That break is a good idea, i feel, to prevent resistance and get the bugs to de-cyst.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat as Summer as regards not responding to herbs but have not tried Cowden...I would imagine I would not get a response until 30 drops or more either, Summer.

Glad this is working for you! Are you still treating PR?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same boat as Summer as regards not responding to herbs but have not tried Cowden...I would imagine I would not get a response until 30 drops or more either, Summer.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed badly on Cowden samento, cumanda, and banderol. There was no improvement for me at all. I gave up after 10 months, relapsed, and went to abx.

I now suspect babesia was a larger issue for me, and Cowden herbs were not as effective for babs.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

CD57, I was doing the low-fat diet and enzymes for protomyxzoa and then my blood work became abnormal (low potassium, high liver enzymes, high anion gap,). I had A-Fib detected (in my 20's) and was taken off all treatment, dropped as a patient by my LLMD, and sent to a cardiologist who is completely Lyme-illiterate. So it was a rough month and I wish I had not tried the protomyxzoa treatment (even though it was suggested through my LLMD by a consulting ILADS doctor) because of the resulting circumstances.

So now I'm on my own. Herbs would not have been my first choice for treatment but to my surprise I did react extremely strongly. I never had to cut back from herxing on antibiotics. This is the first combo to break me down.....lol. Although it could also be from how severe my symptoms are at baseline right now along with extreme exhaustion from treating so long.

When I'm not doing anything for infection (like I did for 5 weeks) I get drastically worse from progression. I have no test results to suggest any other condition so I'm kind of stuck to self-treat Lyme even though so far no form of treatment has been successful to bring improvement; only to prevent progression.

I restarted only Banderol and Samento (30 drops each) last night after staying off for 48 hours. I'm going to keep trying to tolerate it. I'm not a fan of the ramping up method. I feel like it could contribute to resistance developing more easily.

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Summer,

I see that you sleep as poorly as I do... Your message was posted just before 3am.

Not sure if you fall asleep and then wake up around 3am often, but waking up around this time in the night seems to be a common symptom of those of us with parasites.

Just wanted to put that out there in case you weren't aware.

Anyways, I hope the herx isn't too bad since you started up the herbs again.

Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Cherylsue, do you mean that you were on only those three Cowden herbs, or were you doing the whole Cowden support program, but only had a Herx response to those three?

Some of the other herbs on the program target Babesia.

PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer,

I made excellent progress on the Cowden Protocol. I don't want to speak for her, but RZR has also made very good progress on the Cowden Protocol. Yes, you will herx on the Cowden herbs and I believe that they are at least as effective as ABX.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest that you do the entire Cowden Protocol, exactly as written, if you are serious about getting better. I'm absolutely sure that a LOT of time and effort went into putting together a combination of killing agents and detox agents in this protocol. I seriously doubt that randomly picking out herbs and dosages will be as effective as following the approved program.

There is even a protocol within the Cowden Protocol for dealing with bad herxes.

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Patriot.

I do better on herbs than abx. I got better on Byron White last year, and I went super slow with them. I think that is why I had so much success last year (improvement was slow, but steady). I actually didn't follow the instructions though and went even slower (I just didn't want to herx).

I have also taken Cowden herbs too. They both are great IMO. It doesn't matter which brand, just use whatever works. Also, muscle testing REALLY helps when taking herbs (can't stress this enough). I didn't want to become immune to the herbs and learned how to muscle test. It's one of the best things that I've ever learned and use it daily. But if you don't feel comfortable with kineseology, then I would follow the protocol exactly as Patriot said.

Also, I would rotate the babs herbs: artemisinin or artemesia, cryptoleptis. Some people like sida acuta better. I remember Bea S. saying that her husband did better on that herb. You just don't want to do too many herbs or you won't know what is doing what. I just use one at a time: artemesinin, then when off the art, crypto. Babs can quickly adapt to these, so you have to rotate them (pulse).

Also, the full moon is also coming up, so flaring is customary for me the week before. A big part of this is parasites.

[ 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Catgirl ]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CherylSue - I think you are right...you were not treating babesia so you would not notice improvement. The fact that you were herxing on Samento, Cumanda, etc.. would indicate to me that they were killing something. Perhaps if you added the Agrisept-L, for the babs, I think you would have likely seen improvement. Babs is one of the the worst coinfection, IMO.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Agree with Catgirl...have to go after the parasites too! They may be the root cause as to why all of us get so sick when others don't.
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tickbattler,

What parasite /Babesia determines which therapy you and your family will have, MMS/Agrisept/or Dr. K's Cocktail? What, if any, kind of herx have they posed?

Thanks

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement