LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fleas have bartonella.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fleas have bartonella.
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fleas are how I know I got infected. Everyone's worried about ticks.

http://aem.asm.org/content/early/2012/12/10/AEM.03011-12.abstract#!

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah- I haven't owned a pet my entire adult life, but 15-16 years ago tamed a family a feral cats outside my front door.

Big mistake. No memory of a tick bite, but used to hike a lot in my youth.

I have zero interest in cats. I know, pretty un- American. But absolutely not interested, won't pet them, I'm done.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you bet.

I was bit by a gazillion sand fleas in December.

It's been downhill since.

I am certain I had bartonella before, but whatever toxic cocktail was in the sand fleas overtaxed my body.

I hate bartonella with a passion.

And anyone who hates anything with a passion, surely has bartonella.

Haha.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually LOL Greta, and my H watching football looked over at me.

Can't explain it to him.
Ditto!

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scares me to death because my FIL has an indoor/outdoor cat full of fleas. We could not convince "Dad" that his cat had fleas.

I knew I could get bart from them, but so far so good.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of my elderly friends has "adopted" 2 outside cats that were hanging around. i know she isnt getting them shots. shes been going downhill mentally the last 5 yrs ive known her. it is not on her radar this could be a problem. before adopting them the last 2 yrs she was feeding chipmunks...real close to her door onthe porch. i started talking to her about bugs etc then and started going over less. now i dont go over and dont even want her to visit me or get in my car...sad...but i have enough to deal with. i dont know what is going to happen with this...

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so someone said that mice carry lyme disease and others. How would you catch it from a mouse?
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carmen, the deer mouse carries lyme.

The ticks then feed off the mice.

When full, the ticks drop off the mice.
Tick will be engorged with blood, lyme, microfilarial worms and more.

When any mammal brushes by the tick, it latches on and feed off its new host, spreading what's in its belly to a new host.

Songbirds that ground feed are thought to be responsible for dispersing the lyme carrying ticks throughout North America.

Other vectors for bartonella are lice, fleas, sand fleas, mosquitoes.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had pets our whole lives. My husband doesn't have bart. I ask him all the time about his symptoms (his LLMD too). Bart has never popped up. We are exposed to fleas too, so they actually haven't been a bart problem for us.

I never EVER got depressed until I got bit by a tick here on the east coast. That was when my bart symptoms appeared. Sore feet, anxiety, depression, etc. I guess it's possible fleas could carry them, but after having pets for decades and it never presenting, I think the odds are low. For us, we never got it from fleas.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it is not a bite from the flea that transmits bartonella. It comes from the flea poop. If you have an open wound and get flea poop on it you can get bartonella. So if you got bit by a flea and then the poop got into the bite you could get it that way.

Gross I know.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Do you think it's possible to get Lyme (Borrelia) from a cat/ fleas?

I'm sure I must have gotten an unknown tick bite.

--------------------
doing okay!

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. I know exactly when I was bit by ticks. Prior to that, I was exposed to many pets, and no lyme symptoms. There is also something about how the tick feeds.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Well, believe it or not, if I was bit by a tick earlier than 4 years ago, unless I saw it, I would not have known.

Furthermore, if I saw a bullseye rash, I would have thought it a spider bite or a mosquito bite.

I'm not kidding. I knew absolutely nothing about Lyme disease. Nothing.

--------------------
doing okay!

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Same here, and I believe you. I am sure I was bit many other times here and elsewhere without me knowing. Looking back, I remember the symptoms after my bite (child).

Surprise, I'm saying I doubt it about the fleas, just my opinion, but yes, you can get lyme from a cat with a tick on it.

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Ha! Exactly!

I thought the tick I found on me was a really pretty, slow moving beetle.

I released it back outside because I don't kill bugs.

Then when I was dx'd with lyme and found out what ticks look like...argh.

betty1939
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty1939     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know for sure that I was only bit by a flea. I found a flea in my bed when I rented a pet friendly cabin. I had flea bites on my knee.

One week later, I was very ill with flu like symptoms, joint pain, horrible headpressure headaches, fever, CNS irritability.

I was diagnosed 9 mos later with lyme, and babesia microti. Bartonella did not show up until a MSA test that I had done. I know that flea made me ill.

I never saw a tick, nor did I have a rash of anykind. Only the flea bites on my knee. We didn't really go into the woods and when I took my chihuahua out for walks, we really didn't go into grassy areas that had tall grass.

We only went on patches of grass near the driveway.

The very first doctor that I saw, my PCP was informed of this and I felt the flea bites were significant from the start. I believe this is how I became ill and later how my dog (chihuahua) became ill too as she slept in the bed with us.

It was definitely a flea because how it jumped around and I remember crushing it.

--------------------
Lyme IGG/IGM positive 12/08
Babesia Microti IGM positive 12/08
Hemobartonella positive 1/11
mycoplasma 6/11

Posts: 162 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muscle Car55
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muscle Car55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm bartonella, then why not borrelia too CDC?
Posts: 267 | From MI | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Wow Betty, thanks for sharing.

--------------------
doing okay!

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, the article shows presence of bartonella transmission in fleas.

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I get that, I'm just saying it didn't happen to me that way, that's all folks. I got bart after a tick bit me and we had pets long before that happened (pets with fleas). I would think the odds of getting bart from a flea are lower due to the amount of time a flea spends biting a human. Ticks stay on a lot longer as well. For my husband and I, we got lyme from ticks, and I got bart from a tick. Peace.

--------------------

droid1226
Member # 34930

Ya I mean lots of people got it by through the placenta, doesn't mean it can't get passed through ticks.

This just interests me because I know I got sick after a bunch of flea bites. I have bart streaks, a pos test, and all the symptoms. Never a tick bite.

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

I forgot about flea poop.

Yuck.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how you catch lyme disease from a mouse:

The mouse has ticks on it. The mouse comes in your house. The ticks drop off the mouse while it is in your house. Now, you have ticks in your house.

This happened to a couple I know who live in Florida. They rented a house that turned out to have lots of mice. The husband was always killing the mice. He noticed that they were full of ticks.

His wife got lyme disease. She never goes outside and is not an outdoors person at all. The husband also has lyme, but the wife does not have the same diseases as the husband. So, it appears that the wife got lyme from ticks brought into the house by mice.

Also, people who live in high-rise appartments in New York City are getting lyme disease from the mice in the building. These people are surrounded by concrete. Yet, they get lyme disease.

So, beware of mice in your house. As the weather gets cold, they will be coming in!!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up on a farm and was a vet tech for 12 years before I got sick in 2011. I still have pets. I STILL test neg for bartonella despite have an ex ILADS president diagnose me with bart due to really bad bart rash.

But I have been bitten by fleas, scratched and bitten I still test neg....but I am immune deficient so maybe thats why.

By the way there is an AWESOME product I used on my cats and dogs.

Its called seresto collars. They repel and kill fleas and ticks on BOTH cats and dogs. The collar lasts up to 8 months. It has a breakaway feature in it. I found them cheaper online than at the vet. This is not the usual flea collar.

Frontline isnt working anymore in our area for cats, even indoor cats. But even frontline does not repel ticks.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviews on the Seresto collar are quite good. but $50? another pharmaceutical rip.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement