LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Artemisinin - replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artemisinin - replacement
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Artemisinin for about a year now. Started very slow as I herxed very strong. It took me several months to get up to the full dose of 3 pill twice per day (Allergy Research Group) Five days on two days off.

Then we added Zith for Babs and bacterial infections.

A couple of months ago we added Malarone and I'm currently (slowly) working my way up to a full dose of Malarone (now taking 2 pills in a.m. and one in pm - full dose is 3 pills x 2) I worked quickly up to a full dose recently and had the worst herx in YEARS. I'm still herxing but they are tolerable.

I'm looking for feedback for how long folks here have been on Artemisinin?

Did you pulse it and how?

What was your dosage?

Any recommendations for a replacement once I get up to full dose of malarone?

I'm also on Septra as my Bart symptoms flared too.

Ketoconazole twice per day for yeast.

Worried about the old liver!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do Infra Red saunas three times per week and NAC for detox as well as other "stuff"
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mojo.

According to Buhner, you shouldn't take art for as long as you have.

If you are going to take it long-term, it is better to use the whole herb (artemsia annua).

Go to the website for Buhner below and look at his recommendation for Babs as an alternative.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Artemisinin Solo for 10 days out of each month. I'm supposed to take 3 pills spread out during the day, but I can only tolerate two. It's strong stuff.

I try to take it around a full moon since that is when the babesia parasites are most active.

I've been doing that for almost two years now. I'm almost out of pills and will stop, I think, as I read Buhner's take on it, too.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Does anyone beyond Buhner not recommend the long term Art? I've been tying to research this

Thanks for the replies.

Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try Dr. Zhang, the last link below.

I think he is the one who initially started the use of Art for Babs.

He should know a lot about it.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Tks!
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took artemesinin for 10 months straight.

I took it Friday through Sunday of every week, so that is 3 days in a row each week.

It was that and Bactrim (Septra) that got rid of my babesiosis.

On the days I took it, I took it twice per day on an empty stomach. It was AllergyResearchGroup.

This was over 8 1/2 years ago and my lyme and coinfections have never returned. Praise God!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

TF - Thanks! My Septra is for my Bart, I thought - didn't know it got Babs too. So I guess on four things for Babs and I'm going to kick her butt big time.
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Art for about 15 months. I used Research Nutritionals brand and took 500 mg am and pm for 4 days on and 3 off.

I have been off abx for three months.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Great news! Thanks!
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you may have gone with the cart before the horse, mojo.
The World Health Organization is down on Arteminisinin as a "mono-therapy"... they're worried about developing 'abx'-resistant strains... but agrees adding it to a combo of Malarone & Zith is acceptable for fighting babesiosis.
Indeed, Dr. B's *recommends* adding it in for treating babesia.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Thanks, Kete-tracker.

How would taking Artemisinin create ABX resistant strains? It seems like I've heard this before, too.

It really kicked my butt when I was using it alone and I still get herxes (although mild) from the Artemisinin.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement