LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MTHFR Mutations (good article)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MTHFR Mutations (good article)
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, I just wanted to share this article I came across on Pinterest explaining MTHFR mutations in relatively simple terms- I especially like the opening sentence:

"Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse with Lyme. Enter the MTHFR gene mutation, lovingly known as the motherf****r mutation in the Lyme world..." [Cool]

http://www.stopthelymelies.com/12/post/2013/10/mthfr-mutations-in-lyme-disease-for-dummies.html

I just found out I am heterzygous to both 677T/1298C and have submitted the 23andme test because my ND suspects I have more than the 2 major mutations. I have had some trouble understanding all of this but feel this article does a good job explaining the mutations, their health implications, and treatment options.

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, danise,

I've been really thinking about this issue the last couple days and your bringing it up has made me study a little more.

I have the same mutation as you, daynise-heterzygous for 677T and 1298C.

Now, here's my question for those of you on lymenet who are more literate about methylation. I know Razzle is more knowledgeable, so maybe she can pipe in, too.

From what I found, for those that are homozygous for the 677t, the functioning of the MTHFR gene runs at about 10%.

If the 677t is heterzygous, then the MTHFR is running at about 70%.

But what about being heterzygous for both the 677T and the 1298C? What level of functioning does this equate to? Is it what it may seem- 70% ???

I understand that each of those two snps affect different things, but overall, would being heterzygous on both snps be less of an issue than homozygous for either one? Or is it more complex than that?

Some of the reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out how much methylfolate I should be taking. And how much methylcobalamin. And how much methylfolate to methylcobalamin (ratio).

Any answers will be considered non-medical opinions. I don't want anyone to feel they are giving medical advice.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question.

Has anyone had a reaction to nitrous oxide gas (for dental work) and later found out you were positive for mutations on MTHFR?

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really helpful, Daynise--thank you!
Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daynise,

Thank you for posting that great article.

I am heterzygous for both those as well, as well as a few more, when I ran genetic genie on my 23andme results.

I thought I would be OK because they weren't homozygous! Ha!

I needed an article like that to explain it out for me.

Thanks again,
Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another good explanation of methylation problems in case anyone missed it before.

http://www.dearpharmacist.com/2013/08/08/2394/

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting that. The more ways it is explained the better I can understand it. She said " However, people with MTHFR have issues with absorbing or maintaining folic acid (they aren't sure), so they have low levels of it and their homocystine can get out of control."

Someone correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is Folic acid is artificial folate. People with MTHFR cannot convert it to methylfolate. If you eat a lot of fortified food or take supplements with folic acid, you can have a lot of it in your system. It will make it difficult for your body to "find" the folate from real food that you can actually use.

23&ME is the way to go. Someone recently posted sites where you can download the data from 23&ME to get your methlation cycle defects. The explanation on Promethias is really good - much better than what I got from Yasko. All of this for a fraction of the price too! So this makes this knowledge affordable to everyone.

After taking Yasko's Neurological Health Formulae for over a year, I put on two pairs of reading glasses to try to discover the extremely fine print of ingredients. I was shocked and horrified at what I found. It contains folic acid, cyanocobalimin and magnesium oxide! That is EXACTLY what we are warned to avoid!

One more thing, MTHFR is not EVERYTHING. I am only heterozygous but I still have major problems detoxing. That is because I have 15 out of 30 mutations and I am homozygous for 4 of them. I think my biggest problem is CBS, not MTHFR.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great link Daynise. Yes 23&me gives us wonderful clues to what is going on. We all have something.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNT,

I'm not sure I can answer your question, but http://www.mthfr.net may contain the info for which you are looking...

I do think compound hetero for both MTHFR mutations is more complicated than having only one MTHFR mutation...

but I don't know enough about the MTHFR mutations to know what the effective functioning rate of the enzymes are for each of the different combinations of possible mutations...

Nefferdun,

I've got 11/31 mutations on the Yasko test panel, with 3 homozygous...and I agree with you, the CBS mutation is a way, way bigger deal than MTHFR for me too...

Yeah, I was also surprised to see that Yasko's supplements contained stuff she recommended we avoid...frustrating!

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these good articles! I have the same mutation as well - heterozygous for 677T and 1298C.

The funny thing is, I used to get nitrous oxide at the dentist and did really well with it. According to what I've read, that shouldn't have been the case.

I do have high homocysteine levels, unfortunately. I need to study up on all of this.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has anyone had a reaction to nitrous oxide gas (for dental work) and later found out you were positive for mutations on MTHFR?"

YES! I had severe and horrible reactions after going to the dentist, as well as after other surgery when the n.o. was used. Never knew why I was "weird". Now I know.

And doctors DON'T listen when you try to tell them about this situation. At least mine didn't, causing me some very BAD problems.

My reaction to the n.o. was the same as with some other meds that didn't work for me- instead they worked opposite of what they should have. The "laughing gas" made me super-severly depressed, and I couldn't get out from under the depression. I was suicidal and one time I'd say it was so bad I was homicidal also. Totally out-of-control.

To counter the affects- this is important to know and few know it- you use oxygen. Your fatty tissue absorbs the nitrous oxide and to get rid of it you need to "flood" yourself (your cells) with oxygen.

At one point, a week after the dentist giving me the "laughing gas" I blacked out driving down the road. All I remember was suddenly smelling the gas- like someone gave me a big wiff of it- then I was out like a light.

Luckily I ran off the road into a huge empty parking lot/field and woke up XX minutes later unharmed. That was really scary!

I now list it as an allergy due to the severe affects. I also wonder if this isn't some of the cause of post-partum depression that affects some women severely. ???

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And thanks for the article. I agree, good one!

It says... "One of the ways that MTHFR gene mutation can make you susceptible to illness is by lowering your ability to make glutathione."

I used glutathione after the last surgery and extra oxygen and was fine.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement