LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Regarding magnesium and protomyxzoa....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Regarding magnesium and protomyxzoa....
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by Dr Carolyn Dean on the Magnesium Advocacy Group on FB

I read the Protozoal Infection article and I'm not buying it for one second. It's back to the reductionist, we're being attacked by organisms and we have to kill them all with antibiotics scenario that's gotten us into the mess we are all in now.

Added to that, Dr F wants people on a low fat diet (to starve the organism--and us along with it). The cell membranes absolutely need good fats in order to be stable and they need good minerals in order to stay stable.

And to say that auto-immune disease is caused by an infectious organism is MISSING the MAJOR point that auto-immune disease happens when the body itself, and everything else in the vicinity, is attacking the body because it is so TOXIC AND OUT OF BALANCE.

Most of that toxicity and being out of balance is from YEAST overgrowth, toxic diet and drugs. And the increase in inflammation is from lack of magnesium and too much calcium. The infectious organisms are simply opportunistic and along for the ride when they are in an inflamed and toxic body.

Scientists who just think in terms of the body being attacked by infectious organisms don't give any consideration to making the body stronger through natural means so that infections don’t occur. Sure, the antibiotics will look like they are helping some people because overload of infections but how many people who try antibiotics for auto-immune disease or protozoa have gotten worse. Is anybody tracking those people.

Not in this article but elsewhere Dr F says biofilm contains calcium, iron and magnesium. But for some strange reason he blames magnesium for making protozoa biofilm worse. I don’t think that’s true at all. I’m sure magnesium is found in biofilm because it's there trying to neutralize calcium. Calcium is pro-inflammatory and magnesium is anti-inflammatory. They are antagonistic minerals.

Dr F says the following about stopping magnesium "when I take them off their supplements eventually they seem to start getting better." Eventually seeming to start to get better is not a clear statement that if you Stop Magnesium, You're Better. It's rampant speculation that is detrimental to a person's health because it makes people fear magnesium.

Also, nowhere in the article does Dr F talk about the yeast overgrowth that most people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue definitely have. This is another fatal flaw in his theory.

As I’ve said many times here on MAG and in blogs, articles and books. Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue are a combination of yeast overgrowth and magnesium deficiency. If you begin with treating those, you have a chance of curing those conditions.

Unfortunately, yeast toxins and magnesium deficiency, as time goes on, have led to leaky gut, suppressed thyroid, adrenal and sex hormone activity and many of the chronic disease like diabetes, heart disease, arthritis. Why someone would pop up and say “Ah, this is all an infection, we need more antibiotics.” is a reductionist fallacy and utterly missing the much greater point.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Stephen Buhner is of the same opinion, I believe. There is a high requirement for nutrient/minerals with these infections, and causing a deficiency to starve the bacteria will only result in deficiencies in the body. The parasitic bacteria will always take what they need.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how I feel about it. I may or may not have this bug. Probably DON'T though it seems half the world has it. (according to Dr F)

But I have found great help in taking a QUALITY magnesium product and worry about those who are depriving themselves of such a necessary mineral.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree with some of the statements made by the author, I think she is also stuck in a one-track mindset.

Good fats are important. Magnesium is important. Candida/yeast is important.

But lyme will not be cured simply by getting rid of candida. And neither will babesia or FL1953 in my opinion.

The terrain is important, but once a person is infected it takes antibiotics, antimalarials, antiparasitics -- meds or killing herbs. Repairing the terrain will not rid the body of infection. I don't think there are any studies showing whether or not a good terrain will prevent tickborne illnesses or not.

In mice, I have read that a zinc deficiency can make babesia worse. But I don't think it said that adequate zinc would prevent the initial infection.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, I agree. But it also reminds us that our gut health and such is extremely important in getting ourselves well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I do see Dr F, I have to disagree with what she said about him not addressing yeast.
He addresses it all the time. I have 'helped' him with this fact actually.
I'm one of his first patients that has gotten better on a regiment of Diflucan pulsing.
There's so much to learn on ALL of this..... and not all his findings are let out to the public yet, so she doesn't have the 'whole' story .... non of us do yet. It's a work in progress.....

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't expect anyone who doesn't have proto or hasn't experienced it to understand. It's like anything else in this world, unless a person has been there & done that, they simply don't have a clue. Certainly no frame of reference.

Those of us with proto follow our doctor's advice. The good doc's know proto exits and what to do to keep this bug starved. I am thankful mine is one of them.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. It's all sooooo complicated and everyone seems to have the answer...yet so many remain ill. For me personally, magnesium supplementation makes my symptoms dramatically worse after just a few days. It's bizarre!!! I avoid mag for this very reason.

That being said, the low fat diet has no bearing on my symptoms whatsoever. Actually, I do better with moderate amounts of fat. So, ya know...who knows?? We each have to find what works for us, through trial and error, and stick to it. I just keep on muddling along through the Lyme life, doing the best I can. I take the info that works for me and leave the rest behind.

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I commend Dr. Dean for this article. I agree with most of her points, as well as others here. The body of knowledge -- knowns -- is moving forward. And this is surely significant.

I have benefited greatly by reducing bacterial and yeast loads, while also adding mag-rich foods and supplements. One should NOT dismiss all of our human needs to starve bugs: we need healthy fats and magnesium. Just like we need oxygen and sunshine!

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TuTu. I just sent a join request [Smile]

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

TONS of info there. Mind-blowing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been without any supplemental mag for over 6 years now.
I seem just fine without the 'extra' mag.
I for one, do not remain 'ill'.
I follow what my dr. wants, and I'm doing pretty good. Getting older, and the body seems to want to fall apart, but not everything is lyme or proto in my book. (ie... osteoporosis runs in my family, osteoarthritis runs in my family... not everyone had/has lyme/proto... )

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hadlyme,

Microbes (commensal and pathogenic) are also passed down to next generations. And bugs pass between family members in different ways, e.g.,"familial aggregation." Sadly, viruses, bacteria and parasites are passed to fetuses as well.

Many of these bugs cause chronic conditions -- especially "bad backs" and other arthritides.

Sorry to highjack the thread!

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

I agree that 'things' are passed down to each generation. Our DNA's prove that.

I do believe that our DNA is what is responsible for how we fight off these buggers. And my llmd is now trying to prove that one.

But I for one, will not 'blame' all my ailments on lyme, babs, protozoan, etc.

If my eyes are blue, and I have blond hair, I did get that 'condition' from my parents or lineage. Same with if my feet are flat or my legs are bowed. We do receive all sorts of 'things' from the relatives..... and not just bug bite thingys..
[Smile]

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think Dr. Dean is just another idiot - and I am very tired of them. This reminds me of mainstream doctors and how they poo-paw chronic lyme as quackery.

We get plenty of magnesium in our food. We do not need to supplement it. I have not done so for two years and I have gotten MUCH better, not worse.

My body is not starving for anything. The NP I saw last week told me I looked surprisingly healthy and young for my age. My skin is clear and not dry. I have no age spots and I am nearly 67. My hair is thick with very little gray. I must be doing something right.

I was in remission. What happened? I didn't follow the diet as strictly as I was before. I felt great and I let up on it. But I am not sick sick. It would be very easy to overlook these minor symptoms and dismiss them as just age related.

I actually have less stiffness than most people ten years younger than me and more stamina and motivation. I am not dismissing my symptoms as age related,because I know I can be better because I have been better.

There are MANY things that cause fibromyalgia. It can be an infection but it can also be mold or heavy metals. My daughter had severe fibromyalgia when she was in her teens and began smoking. She is allergic to nickel and there is a lot of nickel in tobacco. When she quit smoking her pain went away.

I hate rigid one size fits all mindsets. Yeast can be a problem but not everyone has bad yeast. I took abx for years and I also took diflucan to control yeast. I took breaks when I needed to and the yeast was never a major problem. I got better.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

She is not an idiot. That's a bit harsh. There can be many reasons for a person to not be ingesting enough magnesium.

I eat as healthy a diet as I am able. I make green smoothies and eat as much organic as I can find.

I am lacking in magnesium for whatever reason and I have been greatly helped by her product.

What you said sounds like a personal attack on ME. Just because you don't have a yeast issue doesn't mean others don't. I suffer greatly from it and try to warn others so they don't end up like me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement