LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How does heat/cold affect lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How does heat/cold affect lyme
JLM
Member # 40747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this topic has been discussed before and tried doing a search but the search results just kept spinning. Sorry for the repeat topic.

I am curious how others experience changes with their symptoms when they are either in a hot or cold environments. I know Lyme does not like heat and heat is often used as an aid when treating the disease. But my question is when you are in a warmer climate do you feel better or worse. Is the intolerance of either heat or cold as individual as many other aspects of this disease or does there seem to be a "general" course for how individuals feel when they are in warmer/colder environments. With the change of seasons I'm just curious how the temperatures may affect the recovery process.

Posts: 10 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, I feel worse in the heat and especially humidity. But if you have any heart issues, this will happen. It wouldn't HAVE TO be the Lyme.

On the other hand, I have Raynaud's so I also hate the COLD. So just give me 75 degrees and I'm a happy camper! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I think partly due to the damage / stressors of the various nervous systems, a body with lyme just can't tolerate much variance in temperature. The "control" seem to be off kilter.

Getting too hot from baths caused me actual neurological damage in the past. It took me some time to figure that out. This is very common for those diagnosed with "MS" - heat can cause serious damage. As we all know, lyme can be a cause of MS, so it's vital to understand the heat cautions for those with MS and take that page from their book.

Heat nearly kills me, literally. I have a very narrow margin for being able to survive: 68 - 72 degrees. No cooler, no warmer. I also have Raynaud's so cold is very dangerous for me.

As for heat, heat should NOT be used as a treatment for lyme, ever. The body cannot safely get hot enough to kill spirochetes and they are so irritated by heat they spew out more toxins and also burrow deeper to get away from the surface heat on the skin --

And heat can cause spirochetes to go into protective cyst mode. That can cause chronic lyme and make it harder to treat (just like taking antibiotics without addressing cyst form).

Excessive heat is never good.

Low heat infrared saunas can help, indirectly, though. And should be kept to low heat.

Baths, cozy warm, never hot.

Still, it can be an individual thing. Listen to your body. Even one degree too hot can be too much for some, not for others. Often, it's the next day that can be the "clobber" effect.

ICE, too, should be avoided, according to Dr. B.'s guidelines in the PT section.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement