LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » improvement since sauna

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: improvement since sauna
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's only been 4 weeks, but I am encouraged.

It's really interesting, but my son has had several warts on his one foot that we treated months ago with freezing at the peds, but they never quite went away. They just changed location, and some stayed and became worse.

The sauna is taking them away. They are now very small and scab like. I am hoping they will be completely gone in a few more weeks.

My eyes are feeling healthier. They still burn and I have round the clock sand, but it's not as bad as it was. I hope a couple more months will enable me to wear contacts again.

I hope my sons eyes are doing better. His don't hurt like mine, just watery and with sand around the clock.

Some days the sweating is minimal and more tolerable, other days it's rough. Still both are 20 minutes.

He's learning his spelling words in there. Were on 40 new words, so I'm happy with that. It seems to distract him from the heat.

Not sure if it's helping him sleep better or not. I think it's too early to tell. He's been real busy after school anyways. Last night he did seem to crash immediately my husband said, and I had to wake him at 7:45 for school. He doesn't remeber waking up in the night, which he probably did, but if he perceives not to have, then I guess that's good.

Three days a week for twenty minutes each. He's also getting some core body training while he's there to make it more enticing.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of sauna?
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good news! I think it's excellent progress for such a short time.

Keep us posted.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the vote of confidence BoxerMom. Yeh, it is something, huh?.

It's just a dry heat sauna Carmen. I enrolled us at the gym for the sauna a month ago. It's the only sauna in town.

Even our ymca doesn't have one.

I decided not to do the infrared. Just sticking with conventional.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40 new words spelled! That's awesome!

[Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Actually, it's definitions, not spelling.

I'm trying to bolster the old IQ.

Still, he's retaining it.

thank goodness

Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing the good news!!

Sounds like the detox is helping.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad detoxing is helping. Thanks for sharing the progress.
Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks for your kindness Jane and mlg.

I guess we have to take it one step at a time and see where it leads us.

Hugs

PaulR2006
Member # 25519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulR2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a ton of improvement with the dry heat sauna, then I bought an Infra-red sauna from Costco and absolutely love it. Glad you are making progress!
Posts: 43 | From Cleveland, OH | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks PaulR, what did it help for you?

How long were you doing it for when you saw this difference?

My eyes are less sandy too now, i've noticed.

It doesn't seem like you have to overdue it. The lag time in between feels like a restorative healing process as well.

My son said his eyes were less sandy too. Not sure if he's trying to make me feel better or what.

I don't know if it will help any neuro symptoms or not. I prey so.

Thanks for the input.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great news!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks Tutu.

I'm a little bit worried though.

My son and I went to get private lessons and the owner was very guarded about where we worked out, so as to not bother anyone. I guess you have to be 12. My son is 11 but looks 13.

I also had a comment about the menthol liptus water spray that everyone seems to use on the coals (smells intense...not sure what it is), and it got back to the owner. I didn't say they could not use it, and the sign says only water, but it also says 18 and up, and it was made clear to me that we could get the boot.

Actually, in the long run, I think we will be prohibited because the men there are worse then chatty women, and they will find something to dispute.

I, on the other hand, will say nothing about the spray, and will try not to make waves.

It's the only sauna around for miles.

ugh

2roads
Member # 4409

I spoke to a middle-aged man who was at the gym regarding the sauna.

He actually started the conversation.

He was saying how it helps his joints. I said it's helping my eyes which are now dry.

He said that he had dry eyes, and how he just realised that he hasn't needed to use any drops. He didn't make the coneection, but realised the sauna had helped him there too.

He said he started at 20 min 3 times a day, and now does an hour three times a day.

He's been doing it for a year.

I prey we don't get kicked out.

rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found this article in the Nov TownsendLetter:

http://www.townsendletter.com/Nov2013/sauna1113.html

"Several important conclusions can be drawn here.

First, sauna therapy does not act solely via detoxification, as has been widely assumed, but acts, at least in part, by raising BH4 levels.

Second, three important predictions of the NO/ONOO− cycle mechanism are confirmed for the first time in ME/CFS patients, providing support for this mechanism as the etiologic mechanism of this disease.

Third, three biochemical parameters are partially normalized by sauna treatment, BH4 levels, peroxynitrite levels and neopterin levels, suggesting that ME/CFS is fundamentally biochemical in nature."

We have purchased a near-ir sauna from this site:

http://www.nearinfraredsauna.com/

It's a very basic sauna with a wooden frame and reflective sides. The lights are essentially red heat lamps. The price is very right.

I have been putting off using it with our daughter because she has only just turned 12. Michael, the manufacturer, told me that before puberty children can't dissipate heat the way adults do, and to be careful. So I have been a little nervous.

Thank you 2roads for your update on the improvements you have seen in your son with sauna use. I thought of you when I read the article.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

thanks rowingmom for the info.

It was a bit hard to understand.

I was surprised at how few treatments gleaned better values for the parameters being studied.

I think the detox comes from months of therapy.

I am taking it one day at a time, but don't expect things to change rapidly.

His warts are gone.

We are now working on lung cough and dry eyes. I'm hoping we can resolve at least this too.

After that, how great it would be if we could get better sleep, memory, and focus again.

At the very least, stop smelling things a mile away. They are not offensive, but my sniffer never worked so well since the toxin taken.

I'll let you know how we go.

I hope we can maintain.

I'm ok with his age. We are only in there an hour a week.

I feel okay with that.

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was considering a far-infrared sauna that I saw on Amazon. From some limited research on the internet, I think it is supposed to heat up 2 to 3" into your body tissues but not heat up the outside of your body more than the inside, and that heating your tissues for some time (not sure how long) will actually kill the spirochetes if the tissue temp is about 108F. That sounds like my kind of sauna!

Does anyone know a downside to far-infrared saunas?

And will it make you stupid & cook your brain if you put your head inside the tent instead of out?

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Hi Nancy.

You cold do a topic search here on lymenet, and see what others have to say.

There was an infrared sauna topic recently discussed.

I don't know too much about it myself.

Take Care,

2roads

2roads
Member # 4409

Well, it's interesting but my eyes are tearing more, like whenI wake up or yawn.

The liquid is oily.

I have less sand accumulation in my eyes throughout the day.

My son says he's better with his eyes too.

He actually feels a cold coming on.

Today we go to the sauna, so I'm hoping it will help that.

Thanks for everyones support.

2roads

2roads
Member # 4409

what could this mean?

After my son goes from the sauna, two hours later, to karate, he tends to have a dry, spastic cough. I mean it's a short cough, dry, then another. It's not out of control, but his teacher was messing around at karate and asked if it was commuicable.

He had this before sauna, and the teacher asked if he had allergies, but the cough was different.

Do you think it's purging lung stuff, or perhaps the sauna is too hot for his lungs?

He does not cough at night really, or into the next day. it's just exerting himself physically a couple hours after we sauna causes a coff.

thanks

2roads
Member # 4409

up
2roads
Member # 4409

More to report.

I had an eye appointment recently for contacts, as I'm hoping I can wear them occasionally. Stopped all together because my eyes were crusty all day, burning when rubbed, and uncomfortable.

Last year the eye doctor said my oil glands were inflamed. I think they are called myobial glands, something like that. This time they were not. He said my eyes looked healthy.

I said I started going to the sauna 2.5 months ago, and it has helped by 60 percent. My eyes have very little crusties in them now. They feel more lubricated. I can rub them without burning, most of the time.

They still do feel a little uncomfortable throughout the day, slight burning, but are so much better on many levels. I know more sauna time can only help it.

My sons eyes seem to be better too, so he says.

His cough is better. Hoping we're clearing his lungs. Like I said, warts are completely gone on his feet.

He says he does not recall waking in the night, or early morning hours, like he used to. He still gets up early with a surge of energy, but at least he thinks he's sleeping better. We are trying to have him get himself to sleep this week without us. So far two successful nights.

Says he doesn't hear songs in his head as much as he used to. I don't think I ever mentioned THAT problem, but IT (whatever it is) seems to be getting better.

So, we thank God for the positives, and keep sweating.

rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Good for you for finding some symptomatic relief. What a great Mom! I have still been too chicken to start in our near-ir sauna.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

thanks for the encouragement rowingmom.

We just got back from the sauna. It is frustrating because some of the patrons keep spraying this eucalyptus water on the rocks, and it's really starting to irritate my eyes. I think that's why their not 100 % at this point.

If I complain, we get the boot because it's 18 and up in the sauna and my son is not 18.

rrrrrrr

[cussing]

2roads
Member # 4409

Oh my goodness!

My son went to bed at 9:45 pm last night, and came out of his room at 7:45 this morning! That's almost 10 hours of sleep!

Asside from the prayer, he was left to put himself to sleep. He did that too! Three nights in a row now.

Thank you heavenly father-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement