LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please read...I would like your input

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please read...I would like your input
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leeintn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I sometimes question my diagnoses. I was tested through Igenex by a lld

Here is my reason why....

Five years ago, I became very ill after eating sushi at a local restaurant. Within a few days, the muscles in my legs began to twitch. Thought I was dehydrated. It continues to this day.

Then, my feet went numb and started to tingle. It still is w/me.

Few months go by, and I started getting dizzy. That's when I decided I should go to see a doctor.

My blood pressure started to drop...lowest 90/45

All my symptoms were gradual. over a period of a year or so.

Then, the bottom fell out, I literally could not get out of bed. It was like I was in a semi coma.
I was almost bed bound for a year and a half...

I told every doctor my history. Started with the food poisoning from sushi. That's when my life changed.

So, I was dx this March w/lyme but in the back of my mind, I wonder because of the onset of my symptoms....

Could I please get your opinion...Thanks so much for your time.
Lee

Posts: 83 | From Tennessee | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessig627
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessig627     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lee! In my opinion, it certainly sounds like Lyme and possibly some co-infections as well.

If you were tested by Igenex with confirmed lab results by a reputable LLMD, I would trust in his diagnosis.

Many of us suffer with similar symptoms to yours, some are bed-ridden, some can function. But being Lyme and friends effects everyone differently, there is no exact path to follow.

It took me 6 years to get a diagnosis and I have a lot of nervous system problems and cardiac problems from it.

Are you being treated by the LLMD with abx, herbs or a combination of both?

Keep the faith. With treatment, you will see improvement. Although I'll admit, it takes AWHILE!

Posts: 132 | From Central New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many many report a pretty normal health, some things would pop up and disappear. Odd things one day gone the next.

Then a major stressor hit them. A divorce, car accident, death of a loved one, someother illness. Bam, nothing is the same.

Food poisoning is a major stressor on the immune system and some take months and months to clear. So this could have been the straw that broke the camel.

Or many folks never knew they were bitten by a tick, spider, flea, mite, mosquito(who hasn't).

Then things start going crazy. I went to my PCP 10 days in middle of summer with flu-like illness from he!!. I told him I had food poisoning because I had never felt so horrible in my 42 yrs of life.

I gave him all my sx for those 10 days and he told me, no don't believe it's food poisoning. I had never felt so toxic from head to toe. Asked me I had been bite by a tick? I told him no.

Had no clue that those 12 bites a month prior were nymph ticks. I thought they were chiggers and someone told me to put nail polish on them. I did and really kept those tiny ticks nail polished into me.???

Sometimes it takes lots of reading and research and we start to remember things and the big picture starts to make sense.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I understand correctly what you are saying, the onset of your Lyme symptoms began after you experienced food poisoning.

Many of us here, myself included, had initiating Lyme symptoms after experiencing a health crisis, or trauma, such as a car accident.

The Lyme bacteria and co-infections can remain relatively dormant in the body until the body defenses are down or lowered by a crisis or trauma or other great stress to the person.

Once the defenses are down, the Lyme and co-infections make themselves known through various symptoms that were not noticed previously.

For example, in my case, I was under a lot of job and school stress, then became severely ill with gall bladder issues. Lost 20 pounds in 30 days, and then had surgery to remove the gall bladder.

Afterwards, my doctor told me I'd be back to normal activities in 3 weeks. That never happened, and the onset of symptoms began. For me, incapacitating fatigue and cognitive dysfunction. (The Lyme diagnosis took 5 years to obtain!)

Anyhow, I'm just trying to illustrate to you a possible reason why your Lyme symptoms appeared in relation to your food poisoning.

The good news is that with a diagnosis in place and a good doctor there is hope for your healing.

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with everyone that the food poisioning was the trigger. But just to set your mind at ease, you may want to ask your Dr. about a certain type of poisoning/contamination from a certain type of fish. I don't believe it happens from sushi fish though. I wish I knew what it was called. But if not treated right away it can cause all sorts or neurological issues and pain. I believe it happens from fish in the carribean. A colleague of mine had this. He was treated and is fine. If I can find more info, I will come back and post.

Ok... I came back to post this. It is called Ciguatera. I don't post this to frighten you... But to arm you with info. It is very rare in the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.calpoison.org/hcp/2011/callusvol9no2.htm

Kudzu: is it ciguatera poisoning? That's listed on Dr S, the mold guy's, website when you take the VCS neurotoxin test.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sushi fish is required to be of a certain grade, and is frozen for a set amount of time before being used. All fish, especially salmon, has tiny "worms", for lack of a better term, that are killed when frozen for a set amount of time, or cooked. Many a fisherperson will tell you about finding these worms when they gut their catches.
If the sushi restaurant did not practice this code, or let the fish warm to room temp before serving...yup, bacterial growth for sure-could've set off a neuro lyme flare.

Anyways I'm off topic.

I agree with the others. A "traumatic" incident sets of dormant lyme.

Mine happened to be a gazillion sand flea bites. (Overloaded/reinfected with bartonella), and whatever other blasted viruses the sand fleas carry.

I went straight into severe neuro lyme.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leeintn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your help...I guess like all of you, I never thought in a million years, I would have lyme maybe cancer or something else but not this.
Posts: 83 | From Tennessee | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the muscles in my legs began to twitch.
Then, my feet went numb and started to tingle."

Have you tried magnesium and B vitamins?

Muscle twitching is a symptom of low magnesium.
Low B vitamins and B12 can cause neuropathy...nerve damage like numbness and tingling.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certain parasites can cause neuro symptoms. Not saying you don't have Lyme but parasites can complicate things.

The last of my neuro symptoms cleared when I treated for parasites. That was after ten years of treating Lyme and co-infections.

A good llmd will have a good working knowledge of parasite infections and Lyme disease.

I agree about checking out your vit. b levels as well.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Carol....When I became sick, a doc checked my B12 levels and it was low...225 I think...so maybe being deficient might have been a factor.

I do injections now...

Desertwind....I didn't know about parasite until I came here. Had no clue there could be a connection.

Saw my doc two weeks ago and ask him to prescribe me an antiparsite drug. He gave me ivermicin..sorry for the spelling. He is going to give me a scrip for bee venom too. Maybe it will help my twitching

What are your suggestions? My doctor is very willing to work w/me. I would love your opinion

Thanks all

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has your B12 been checked lately?
In looking at the reviews for the book "Could It Be B12?" I saw that it should be above 500.

You can take B12 Methylcobalamin by sublingual tablets (under the tongue) and by skin patches.
Some people take these in addition to the injections.

There has been discussion here in the past about the injections...some doctors prefer a certain kind that has to be compounded, or put together by the pharmacist.

Here are the patches from Amazon vendors:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Ab12+patch+methylcobalamin%2Ci%3Ahpc&keywords=b12+patch+methylcobalamin&ie=UTF8&qid=1383796468

The price has come down since they were first introduced.

See the reviews and the "Look Inside" feature for this book, for good information.
Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses
http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691/

2005 edition, with more reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884956467/

Regarding B vitamins, you may want to consider taking supplements if you have neuropathy, which includes the symptoms you describe.
I developed foot numbness which got better the day after I started a B100 supplement.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food was a trigger for me once with a major onset of lyme and company. Your symptoms sound like lyme and company.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google parasite symptoms and check the PARASITE WARRIORS SUPPORT THREAD for more info.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leeintn
Member # 25999

Carol My doctor checks my levels and I have the book...It was really helpful

Catgirl...I ate sushi for years...thought I was being healthy..what a fool I was

glm...I keep a check on that thread...I have a script for antiparasite med just started

Thanks ya'll

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not a fool. It was just a trigger. That means you had lyme hiding in you, but something in the sushi brought it out. It could have been bacteria or parasites. It could also be something as simple as the gluten in the soy sauce. Maybe the three together helped bring it to the surface.

Parasites are everywhere: food, air and water (hard to avoid). Something else would have brought your lyme to the surface anyway (stress, etc). Don't beat yourself up.

Awesome you are starting to treat parasites! They are a major player with lyme and easily missed.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement